Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangal

Country flag

#ExIndradhanush - IAF Garuds & contingents of RAF FP Force successfully conducted Combat Free Fall (CFF) Ops from IAF's C130J aircraft on 25 Feb 20. The Air Field Seizure Ops was also a part of the mission. High morale & enthusiasm was shown by the warriors of both the forces.
Those bike helmets:facepalm:
If I write something about equipment tradionalist will jump saying " its training that matters and not equipment"
Bhai bhala dekar kyu nahi bhej dete.:frusty:

Gessler

Country flag
Nice - First time I'm seeing the modern thumbs-forward grip being employed by an Indian unit. This has become widespread in West & Russia over last decade & half but not here yet.

Paras as late as Vajra Prahar 2018 were resorting to a thumbs-crossed grip (not a very bright idea IMO, serious risk of injury to left thumb):

@abingdonboy @rkhanna

abingdonboy

Country flag
So they are allowed to have tattoos????
Yes, UK mil is quite lax about them

Is that a Syrian rebel? Nope, just one of the most "elite" operators from the 5th largest economy in the world.

Those bike helmets:facepalm:
If I write something about equipment tradionalist will jump saying " its training that matters and not equipment"
Bhai bhala dekar kyu nahi bhej dete.:frusty:
They have ACHs, not great but better than this so I have no idea why they are using these when they offer 0 ballistic protection.

Gessler

Country flag
They have ACHs, not great but better than this so I have no idea why they are using these when they offer 0 ballistic protection.
Bump helmets (non-ballistic) are very commonly used in SOFs worldwide - mainly for training, jumps, or in ops where stealth/speed is paramount to protection.

Though nobody uses ones like these...they use far more modern, functional ones - pretty much all companies that make ballistic high-cuts make non-ballistic bump versions as well:

EDIT: If you mean to say that the point of using bump helmets is to trade off protection to save weight, then yes I agree - these helmets used by Garuds certainly don't look light at all. They're probably just as heavy (if not heavier than) as a regular ballistic ACH.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
If you mean to say that the point of using bump helmets is to trade off protection to save weight, then yes I agree - these helmets used by Garuds certainly don't look light at all. They're probably just as heavy (if not heavier than) as a regular ballistic ACH.
Then why are we using it?

Gessler

Country flag
Then why are we using it?

Some things defy logical explanation.

Poor planning, poor availability, red tape surrounding procurement, lack of funds for that particular procurement...any number of factors.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Poor planning, poor availability, red tape surrounding procurement, lack of funds for that particular procurement...any number of factors.
I call it disconnect between the grunt fighting on the ground and the Man behind a desk.

A 3 trillion economy shouldnt crib about basic stuff for their soldiers.

If we can purchase over expensive weapons(AHEM*930 million for 6 apache*AHEM) then we sure as shit can purchase proper equipment for good number of soldiers and arm our SF to teeth.

Waanar

Country flag
I finally get something to explain to the "I-so-badly-wanna-curse-you-but-won''t-because-you're-Indian" crowd who are always talking of how our soldiers don't need "Gucci gear".

This picture
Look at it.

I'm going to point out lack of a trivial "gucci gear" and end it with a long summary of it's disadvantage.
He doesn't have kneepads.
Now, notice the difference between his crouch and the crouch of the western soldier-

See how the knee rests on the ground? That's because of the kneepad.

Now I'm going to explain a few things, bear with me-

The westerner's crouch can be maintained for hours with the only problem being blood flow restriction at most. Our guy's legs will exhaust in the first few minutes of taking that stance.

This can result in -

1)Movement to change legs, giving away position in an ambush or drawing unwanted eyes
2)Making him unable to keep up with his team due to the exhausted legs
3)Tearing his Achilles Tendon if he moves too swiftly with his rucksack (something which will absolutely ruin his career and take him out of any form of combat role probably)
4)Imbalance and falling out of cover when leaning (it's a naturally unstable form)

The only advantage this crouch has over that of those guys is, it might allow you to stand up faster or break into a dash faster.
Due to training constantly without any kneepad, it also becomes a bad habit to crouch like this, further making it harder to get them used to the new stance and leading them to not even demand the kneepads. (something I know people will argue by saying the soldiers just aren't comfortable in them and prefer bare knees lol)

I know I'm making some really obvious points but this needs to be said. There is no "Useless", "trivial" or "gucci" equipment that the modern militaries of the world use.
Everything has a purpose.

And I swear if someone says our soldiers have just incredible leg endurance to sustain that position for hours, I'll curse you.
It is NOT about how well-trained they are. It's about wanting what's best for them.

To put it simply and dumbed down, imagine how long our soldiers could crouch if they had kneepads when they're able to sustain that position for so long without it. (and jack off)

I'm sorry for such a long winded post on such a minor piece of gear but I just wanted to convey my point of how terribly wrong you guys are in arguing against "Gucci gear".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles