Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggy321

It is going to be very hard, the MARCOS are very secretive. The only documentary of them that was long enough was in Times Nows', "Line of Duty" some 5-6 years back, the documentary featured 10 Para(SF) and the MARCOS where the MARCOS segment is only 6 minutes long and only one operative was interviews with his identity protected. On the other hand identities of the CO of 10 Para(SF) and 2 officers are shown while being interviewed.

The Army SF has no issues with showing identities on TV but are very secretive about their operations & training. Till now I am yet to see a clear detail of what happens in Army SF probation and MARCOS selection and by that I mean only selection phase no continuation training. Like we all now what happens in SAS selection, even with 2 SAS units(UK and Australian) being secretive especially the British, their selection process is well known with the selection of Aussie SAS and NZSAS being shown on TV. I personally don't count the NZSAS as secretive, the British are top class in that till now even a pic of their Credenhill or Hereford base front gate hasn't been shown.

Now coming to this documentary on Garuds, it was great. After watching it I think they have more or less been formed on the lines of USAF Para-rescue and CCT's .

I would say that their ultra secretive approach has gone away.
We have many pics of MARCOs operators in the public without covered faces. They even trained infront of a crowd of bystanders together with some PARA SFs, so I wouldnt say that we wont be able to see a NDTV coverage of them. Anyways keep your fingers crossed :)

Here the video;

Last edited by a moderator:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Nice catch mate!! Now NDTV have made 2 documentaries on the Garuds and 1 on PARA (SF) next is MARCOs (we can only hope!).
Very impressed with how far they have come- if you look at the Rocky And Mayur show on the Garuds from 2 years ago to 2012.

+ it was cool seeing their entire range of operations from CSAR to FAC and force protection duty. Had never actually seen Indian for es using laser designators nor had I seen downed pilot rescue drills.

It is going to be very hard, the MARCOS are very secretive. The only documentary of them that was long enough was in Times Nows', "Line of Duty" some 5-6 years back, the documentary featured 10 Para(SF) and the MARCOS where the MARCOS segment is only 6 minutes long and only one operative was interviews with his identity protected. On the other hand identities of the CO of 10 Para(SF) and 2 officers are shown while being interviewed.

The Army SF has no issues with showing identities on TV but are very secretive about their operations & training. Till now I am yet to see a clear detail of what happens in Army SF probation and MARCOS selection and by that I mean only selection phase no continuation training. Like we all now what happens in SAS selection, even with 2 SAS units(UK and Australian) being secretive especially the British, their selection process is well known with the selection of Aussie SAS and NZSAS being shown on TV. I personally don't count the NZSAS as secretive, the British are top class in that till now even a pic of their Credenhill or Hereford base front gate hasn't been shown.

Now coming to this documentary on Garuds, it was great. After watching it I think they have more or less been formed on the lines of USAF Para-rescue and CCT's .
@boris hey man! Great to hear from you on DFI! Yes I agree MARCOs are only going to let you see a operational demo not much more ie you won't get the same kind of access as seen here with the Garuds, you wouldn't be able to see operators without their identities obscured. It is also true that all the Indian SOFs have yet to reveal their selection or training process in an in-depth manner that we have seen with the SAS, US SF (SEALS/Green Berets). We have heard the selection criteria is x amount of this and y amount of that but have not seen the details and ins and outs of it ie with the SEALS there is the iconic "hell week" that has been covered intensively just like with the SAS there is a gruelling multi-day trek over the Welsh highlands. The Indian SOFs are very secretive when they want to be and even when we see shows like NDTV's one on the PARA (SF) we are only shown a very brief and superficial glance at their world, when you actually think about it we learn very little about their training or tactics, same goes for the Garuds.

I think it is more than adequate to say India's SOFs are as secretive as they come and more so than almost any other SOF you might like to name.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I would say that their ultra secretive approach has gone away.
We have many pics of MARCOs operators in the public without covered faces. They even trained infront of a crowd of bystanders together with some PARA SFs, so I wouldnt say that we wont be able to see a NDTV coverage of them. Anyways keep your fingers crossed :)

Here the video;
That's not the point. There is a difference between covering faces and protecting identities. The MARCOs may not cover their faces in certain demos but does that mean their identities are comprimsed? Not at all. Doing a demo to some bystanders in front of a local tv crew is hardly a threat to their endevour to protect their identities- just because you see someone's face doesn't mean you know who they are. You can bet that the MARCOs will never wear their name tags unless on base. Why do you think during 26/11 the MARCOs operators covered their faces? Or during the PR event which saw them take down an oil rig in 2010 they covered their faces? It is about threat perceptions in these cases the audience was much larger than this local event and hence the chances of their identities being compromised was much higher. From this grainy vid do you think the MARCOs operators are comprimised?

When needed the MARCOs will cover their faces, when not they won't.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Very progressive, though Garuda SF need ballistic helmets, Its heavy but worth wearing so does a better camo..
Agreed, the helmets they are wearing in the vid are only useful in protecting against head injuruies, they provide 0 protection from projectiles or bullets and the ones they are currently using look pretty bulky. I belive the Garuds also use the "BMX helmets" as used by Delta force in Black Hawk Down but again these offer 0 ballisitc protection.

I wouldn't mind seeing these on their heads:

And I'd quite like to see them (and all Indian SOFs) in MultiCam.

+ @Kunal Biswas did you see their armourary- a proper Israeli arms bizaar! The Israels have been doing some serious buisness with Indian SOFs in the past few years it seems! They've got the Galil sniper rifle, Tavor (in all its varients-CTAR,GTAR,TAR) and Negev MG!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

I would say, MKU which is Indian Company making Helmets which is 950gms & protection is from 9x19mm & Bolt-less, Cost around 8000 Indian currency..

Is the best solution..

Agreed, the helmets they are wearing in the vid are only useful in protecting against head injuruies, they provide 0 protection from projectiles or bullets and the ones they are currently using look pretty bulky. I belive the Garuds also use the "BMX helmets" as used by Delta force in Black Hawk Down but again these offer 0 ballisitc protection.

I wouldn't mind seeing these on their heads:

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Rugged & Reliable and very up to date weapons, PARAs loves it..

Though in Army PKM is preferred over Nagav..

+ @Kunal Biswas did you see their armourary- a proper Israeli arms bizaar! The Israels have been doing some serious buisness with Indian SOFs in the past few years it seems! They've got the Galil sniper rifle, Tavor (in all its varients-CTAR,GTAR,TAR) and Negev MG

Status
Not open for further replies.