Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waanar

Country flag
What is the lame excuse cited for not creating a permanent cadre of SG?
Does military intelligence have any separate SF unit?Asking because I know a guy who is originally from medical corps now wears SF tag which highly resembles Para ,but he told he works for Defence intelligence or something and unit the name he cited is not among the whole Para.
Yes. Different MI units have their own Recce and Direction Action units.

An example is of the unit in the north east that was accused of systemic abuses and killings for apposing which ran Col Shekhawat into trouble.

Each command MI unit runs it's own teams. Have no clue about insignia . Also don't know anybody in such units. Only talk

SG has temp cadre because it is a non mklimili unit drawing military personnel.

It's like the increment in the SAS. Today The increment aka CRW wing has been rolled into th SAS structure. For a long time they would be seconded to MI6
This is incredibly interesting.
I asked a friend working in the Army and he vehemently denied existence of any other unit classified as SF other than the Paras in the Army today.
Sorry for invoking a old comment but are you sure?

rkhanna

Country flag
This is incredibly interesting.
I asked a friend working in the Army and he vehemently denied existence of any other unit classified as SF other than the Paras in the Army today.
Sorry for invoking a old comment but are you sure?
Sorry didn't quiet understand. Are you talking about SG? Well they are not army

Or are you talking about my comment about MI? Those units are not SF. MI units come under the Directorate of Military Intelligence have have special recon ISR and Counter Intel and CT capability. Mostly is black bag work. (As reference Google the Scandal.

As an example I would point you to the Scandal of Gen Suhag and the 3 corp intelligence and surveillance unit and their illegal operations.

One of the people acused of irregularities while operating the 3Corp ISU was Major Nector of 21SF on probation with the ISU

MI are not special forces at all but they do maintain a limited commando capability. Alot of SFF units in the north get attached to MI units

Waanar

Country flag
Sorry didn't quiet understand. Are you talking about SG? Well they are not army

Or are you talking about my comment about MI? Those units are not SF. MI units come under the Directorate of Military Intelligence have have special recon ISR and Counter Intel and CT capability. Mostly is black bag work. (As reference Google the Scandal.

As an example I would point you to the Scandal of Gen Suhag and the 3 corp intelligence and surveillance unit and their illegal operations.

One of the people acused of irregularities while operating the 3Corp ISU was Major Nector of 21SF on probation with the ISU

MI are not special forces at all but they do maintain a limited commando capability. Alot of SFF units in the north get attached to MI units
Yes, yes. I was talking of MI's units.
I see. Thanks for that. Very informative.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Here is a chance to develop/experiment with SF expeditionary doctrines..

Strategic objective: to eliminate terrorist threats to act east policy.

After the release of the captives of course...
===========
Sources:2 Indian nationals taken into captivity by Arakan Army(insurgent group) in Myanmar,while Indian team working on road project connecting Mizoram to Sittwe Port (in Rakhine State) was on their way from Paletwa to Sittwe. A local MP from Myanmar also taken into captivity.

aditya g

Country flag

Waanar

Country flag
MI will do a lot of clandestine work - you will never see, hear or read about them. For example there will be rarely any gallantry award citation, news paper article etc about them. They are constantly operating in J&K for example.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/colu...-in-kashmir/story-pOiSNbU461XO5fOHxl1LmJ.html

The Technical Services Division was basically a MI unit.
Reading up on Wiki, it was surprising to me that MI units were on the ground before, or at the very least, simultaneously with the Paras in Afghanistan.
The fact that TSD was basically a MI outfit and even though operating year round in Kashmir, you rarely hear about them anywhere only strengthens my interest and belief that they must have one of the most interesting work profile among the regiments of the Army. (Not to mention the training.)
I'm confused though, we have NTRO and DIA for signal monitoring, RAW for external and IB for internal intelligence gathering, Where does MI fit in?

Also, you mention year round ops in Kashmir but no gallantry award citation so does that mean they're just decorated without a ceremony and all that pomp and pageantry?
If yes, why do our SOFs not follow the same procedure? I mean, it's cool and all for the camera but beyond that, I don't see any reason to be overtly celebratory in these cases.

Waanar

Country flag
One more query :p
I understand President's bodyguard are a part of the 50th Parachute Brigade and are considered SF as well since they draw from the SF operatives but, like, are they operational?
Wiki mentions them as "Pathfinders" and from their history of Governor General's guard, I'm just stumped. What do they do?
Are they Cavalry?

Cavalry SOF like the UK Pathfinder Platoon?
Purely ceremonial role?
Any citations or declassified operations?

Lupus

Country flag
Can AMC officers only volunteer for serving in the PARA(SF) as support elements (RMOs etc), or are they allowed to volunteer for full combat roles as well ?

rkhanna

Country flag
Why are EME and AMC are sporting SF tabs?
Only those who wear the balidan are special forces operators. There are other support elements who also run selection and work with SF hence they get the SF tag but they don't wear balidan

Though I know a AMC doctor who successful ran selection completed basic infantry school and received the Balidan in 12 months (I think)

rkhanna

Country flag
One more query :p
I understand President's bodyguard are a part of the 50th Parachute Brigade and are considered SF as well since they draw from the SF operatives but, like, are they operational?
Wiki mentions them as "Pathfinders" and from their history of Governor General's guard, I'm just stumped. What do they do?
Are they Cavalry?

Cavalry SOF like the UK Pathfinder Platoon?
Purely ceremonial role?
Any citations or declassified operations?
PBJ is an airborne scout unit. Nothing more. They are not SF. They don't draw from SF unless an officer has finished his tour and then wants some R&r

They are a fully combat ready unit and fought in Kargil

They have both an airborne and armours recce element. Last I heard they had BTRs and other vehicles which can be airdropped as well

Waanar

Country flag
PBJ is an airborne scout unit. Nothing more. They are not SF. They don't draw from SF unless an officer has finished his tour and then wants some R&r

They are a fully combat ready unit and fought in Kargil

They have both an airborne and armours recce element. Last I heard they had BTRs and other vehicles which can be airdropped as well
Interesting. Indian Army has far more airborne capable troops than I initially figured...
Ah, so damn confusing. :mad:

Gessler

Country flag
Pictures from latest addition of Vajra Prahar exercise between Para SF and Rangers (and USSF):

In the last image, one can see the Ranger putting on the Basic Parachutist Badge, otherwise simply called the "jump wings" (awarded upon completion of the Basic Airborne Course at the US Army's Infantry school at Ft. Benning) onto the Para commando. Obviously, the Paras are fully airborne-qualified as it is, this is but an additional course done for the purpose of familiarization and to allow the sharing of ideas & techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

Articles