FN Scar (H) assault rifles 1,050
Scar (L) / HK-416 assault rifles 1,400
FN .50 Cal Browning heavy machine guns 110
Helmet mounted night vision goggles 400
Combat free fall parachutes 600
Barret M107 A1 heavy sniping rifles 10

Ummm guys?
Why is SOD buying a damn WW1 HMG ffs?
Browning for mounting on fast light vehicles for recon,patrol,raids and quick reaction.Vehicles are on order from an indian company - forgot name.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Corrections we are where US SOF was in 2001 or even older

Small Arms
Body armour
Comms
Optics
ISR
Etc etc
America has the market for defence equipment.
Comapnies makes equipment for both Military and Public.

People in America like to cosplay in full BF vest, tactical gloves, guards, uniform and various sights attachments and gears.

Ask for a comapny that makes sights, u can name dozens for US whereas there is only Tonbo and Tata Optics for India.

rkhanna

Country flag
New SFOD has been allocated modern equipment as per these articles.

https://www.dailyo.in/lite/politics...try-of-defence-indian-army/story/1/30043.html

/
Sirji (purely my rambling so take with a pinch of salt) - SOD is supposed to be our Tier I unit (i.e JSOC) if you want to do that comparison then SOD is where JSOC was in the 90s with early 2000 kit.

(as an example outside of explosives we dont even have a single breaching tool as part of our kit, hell we dont even have proper sniper/scout schools in our Army as of yet, let alone more evolved SOF taskings like NEST)

Just as an FYI - JSOC took nearly 15 years of constant operations across the balkans and Latin America through the late 80s and 90s constantly refining their tactics and methods. All those lessons went into them designing or asking for specific kit to bridge capability gaps (networked ISR, Suppressors, optics, Comms that can work underground, Breaching gear with diamond tipped cutters, etc etc, - the list is bloody long)

They took those capabilities and lessons and kit into the GWOT. Without those experiences there is no JSOC. Those experiences gave rise to a number of other units outside of DevGru and Delta.

Lastly, JSOC runs their own selection from SOF units and has a completely different training regime compare to vanilla SOF units.

AFAIK Today SOD is only a "jointness" task force take various units to put them together (with newer kit) and common taskings. as a potential TIER I unit, SOD has to long long way to go.

Like everyone else. we will learn also slowly and evolve on our own (i hope atleast) there is simply NO substitute for experience.

And with the SOD experience I pray to god that our SF also evolve beyond being battlefield commando units.

America has the market for defence equipment.
Comapnies makes equipment for both Military and Public.

People in America like to cosplay in full BF vest, tactical gloves, guards, uniform and various sights attachments and gears.

Ask for a comapny that makes sights, u can name dozens for US whereas there is only Tonbo and Tata Optics for India.
Dont understand your comment. Like you said In India we have TONBO, MKU and half a dozen establishments making high end optics, Comms and kit. Unfortunately they are able to export to NATO countries but dont find domestic buyers.

So lack of "Suppliers" is not an issue. We may not have as numerous as the Americans but Top Quality Grade equipment exists in india.

There is simply NO excuse for SOF not getting kit in 2019!!!!!!! ( maybe a year and half ago i have been to a 10Para Demo with the unit sporting Chinese off the Shelf DJI Drones, lol)

Hell SOF is one place where "Buy Indian" has no place in the narrative. SOF should get whatever the hell they want.

Questions arise for me are the following:

1. What say (if any) do SOF Unit commanders / Senior NCO/JCO leadership have in Kit purchases? or is some paper pushing Jernal just buying nonsense adhoc
2. Are our kit purchases based on evolution of training and tactics or just plug and play because we saw something on TV or during international ex. ?
3. Do our SOF soldiers sit down with OEMs and help evolve kit to suit specific mission deficiencies?
4. Is there a strategic equipment procurement capability with our SOF establishment. not only to meet current requirements but also plan for the future? (as a reference if you get a chance see how well our Armoured Infantry Warfare training establishment works - everything from training to recommending new equipment upgrades and kit)

We keep treating SOF as a step child we will continue to see the same result.

EDIT: As an after thought. Before anything we need to develop a Special/Asymmetrical Warfare Mindset. This is one place the Pakis have us beat. The recent drones ferrying equipment and money in bits and pieces (8kgs at a time?) across the Punjab border was quiet genius. The Chinese with their Industrial espionage coupled with their Cyberwarfare skills also demonstrate a deep asym mindset.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Sirji (purely my rambling so take with a pinch of salt) - SOD is supposed to be our Tier I unit (i.e JSOC) if you want to do that comparison then SOD is where JSOC was in the 90s with early 2000 kit.

(as an example outside of explosives we dont even have a single breaching tool as part of our kit, hell we dont even have proper sniper/scout schools in our Army as of yet, let alone more evolved SOF taskings like NEST)

Just as an FYI - JSOC took nearly 15 years of constant operations across the balkans and Latin America through the late 80s and 90s constantly refining their tactics and methods. All those lessons went into them designing or asking for specific kit to bridge capability gaps (networked ISR, Suppressors, optics, Comms that can work underground, Breaching gear with diamond tipped cutters, etc etc, - the list is bloody long)

They took those capabilities and lessons and kit into the GWOT. Without those experiences there is no JSOC. Those experiences gave rise to a number of other units outside of DevGru and Delta.

Lastly, JSOC runs their own selection from SOF units and has a completely different training regime compare to vanilla SOF units.

AFAIK Today SOD is only a "jointness" task force take various units to put them together (with newer kit) and common taskings. as a potential TIER I unit, SOD has to long long way to go.

Like everyone else. we will learn also slowly and evolve on our own (i hope atleast) there is simply NO substitute for experience.

And with the SOD experience I pray to god that our SF also evolve beyond being battlefield commando units.

Dont understand your comment. Like you said In India we have TONBO, MKU and half a dozen establishments making high end optics, Comms and kit. Unfortunately they are able to export to NATO countries but dont find domestic buyers.

So lack of "Suppliers" is not an issue. We may not have as numerous as the Americans but Top Quality Grade equipment exists in india.

There is simply NO excuse for SOF not getting kit in 2019!!!!!!! ( maybe a year and half ago i have been to a 10Para Demo with the unit sporting Chinese off the Shelf DJI Drones, lol)

Hell SOF is one place where "Buy Indian" has no place in the narrative. SOF should get whatever the hell they want.

Questions arise for me are the following:

1. What say (if any) do SOF Unit commanders / Senior NCO/JCO leadership have in Kit purchases? or is some paper pushing Jernal just buying nonsense adhoc
2. Are our kit purchases based on evolution of training and tactics or just plug and play because we saw something on TV or during international ex. ?
3. Do our SOF soldiers sit down with OEMs and help evolve kit to suit specific mission deficiencies?
4. Is there a strategic equipment procurement capability with our SOF establishment. not only to meet current requirements but also plan for the future? (as a reference if you get a chance see how well our Armoured Infantry Warfare training establishment works - everything from training to recommending new equipment upgrades and kit)

We keep treating SOF as a step child we will continue to see the same result.

EDIT: As an after thought. Before anything we need to develop a Special/Asymmetrical Warfare Mindset. This is one place the Pakis have us beat. The recent drones ferrying equipment and money in bits and pieces (8kgs at a time?) across the Punjab border was quiet genius. The Chinese with their Industrial espionage coupled with their Cyberwarfare skills also demonstrate a deep asym mindset.
SOD will be more like what international SF units are and the kind of kit they have. The gear is probably being delivered as we speak and thus the recent exercises to test synergy.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
SOD will be more like what international SF units are and the kind of kit they have. The gear is probably being delivered as we speak and thus the recent exercises to test synergy.
He is saying kit has to evolve based on experience in actual ops( beyond comfort zone).

Kashmir ops are still in the comfort zone because of numerical superiority during COIN ops..

mupper

Country flag
Going by angling of holster, operative probably finds it more comfortable.
That makes no sense, they literally have to contort themselves over in a cross draw to extract it from a LLR...I've never seen anyone holster up like that. Yes some guys set up on their vest for a cross draw but not on their leg draw.

This can't be more comfortable.

The only rational I can think of is they are doing a lot of mobility ops and this might be an easier draw of a sidearm if you're sitting down.

Last edited:

vampyrbladez

Country flag
That makes no sense, they literally have to contort themselves over in a cross draw to extract it from a LLR...I've never seen anyone holster up like that. Yes some guys set up on their vest for a cross draw but not on their leg draw.

This can't be more comfortable.

The only rational I can think of is they are doing a lot of mobility ops and this might be an easier draw of a sidearm if you're sitting down.
Could be some scouting op. The crouched draw thing would make sense only when you are in a stationary position.

Waanar

Country flag
Undisclosed location near Shopian, Jammu and Kashmir, March 2004

‘Something’s not right,’ Abu Torara whispered to the man slouched on a cot next to him. A pair of early summer evening sunbeams streamed into the room from a half-open window in their small hideout not far from Shopian, just over 50 km south of Srinagar.

Abu Sabzar drew deeply on a cigarette, exhaled through his nostrils, roughly scratched his beard and turned to look at Torara, who was on his feet, leaning against the wall. A pair of AK-47 assault rifles lay at the foot of the cot. Torara was looking straight ahead of him at the tiny doorway that led to the next room — a small balcony-cum-kitchen that opened out into the woods. Emanating from that direction was the sound of boiling water, the aroma of kahwa, the frothy pour of liquid into glass tumblers and their clink as they were placed on a tray.

‘You want to talk to him some more?’ Sabzar asked, stubbing out his cigarette on the windowsill next to him. Torara said nothing. A few seconds later, bearing a steel plate with glasses of tea, Iftikhar Bhatt stepped through the tiny doorway and into the room.

Six feet two inches tall, with hair down to his shoulders and most of his face covered with a bushy beard that flowed down his neck, Bhatt wore a stony expression as he stepped forward to offer the other two terrorists their tea. His own rifle was slung from his neck, resting at his side. After they had picked up their glasses, Bhatt picked up his own and sat down at the edge of the cot, silent, staring straight ahead.

Minutes passed as the three men sipped from their steaming glasses. Then, Torara stepped forward and spoke.

Bhatt said nothing, his face rigid, unmoved, his hand still bringing the tea up to his lips. He had and on Bhatt’s knee. ‘Who are you?’

Bhatt said nothing, his face rigid, unmoved, his hand still bringing the tea up to his lips. He had met the two terrorists two weeks earlier in a village near Shopian. They had never seen him before and he said very little apart from telling them the village he was from. A few days later, he opened up a little more, speaking about how his brother had been killed in an encounter three years ago.

Another young man, they thought, looking for revenge, looking for work with a militant outfit, both for a livelihood as well as for closure. At the end of a full week, he spoke his first full sentences, telling them he wanted their help with an attack on an Army checkpoint. He showed them hand-drawn maps depicting the movement of Army patrols along a little-known hill trail, research that suggested this young, bearded man of few words had already begun reconnaissance, the most crucial groundwork for a successful attack on security forces.

Torara and Sabzar were moderately impressed. Bhatt, clearly in his twenties, though the beard hid much of his youthfulness, had demonstrated the motivation to take matters into his own hands—half the battle in the process of radicalization. Tall and well-built, there was no doubt he could be useful in the rough, dark life of a militant in Kashmir. Over the following week, the two Hizbul men questioned Bhatt, presenting him with situations and asking him what he would do. Bhatt’s answer would remain the same, ‘I need your support, I want to learn.’

Torara and Sabzar were no ordinary terrorists. Both had gained a reputation for leading a highly effective recruitment campaign in south Kashmir. If Bhatt wanted to pick up a gun and get started, these were the men to get in touch with. The men weren’t surprised that Bhatt knew who they were.

At the end of two weeks, Torara and Sabzar told Bhatt that they would help with his proposed attack on the Army’s foot patrol north of Shopian, but that they needed to disappear for a few days, coordinate the logistics and finer points. Bhatt said he would not return to his village without completing his mission, with or without them. So they took him along to their hideout, where they now sat sipping hot tea.

The attack plan had been detailed and fleshed out. A consignment of grenades would arrive that night. Bhatt would be joined by three Hizbul men, who had been summoned from another village and would show up the following morning. They would then proceed in the evening to launch the attack, with the intention of killing as many of the soldiers as possible as they trudged through a short trough in the trail.

But Torara was having second thoughts. Something didn’t seem to fit. Squatting before Bhatt, he asked again.

‘Who are you?’

Bhatt, who had been circumspect and soft-spoken thus far, placed his tumbler down on the ground with a splash. Rising to his feet, he took the rifle from around his neck and dropped it on the ground with a clatter. Then, looking from Torara to Sabzar, he spoke, his voice quivering. ‘If you have any doubts about me, kill me,’ he said, his voice raised to its highest. ‘You cannot do this if you don’t trust me. So you have no choice but to kill me now.’

Torara rose to his feet, looking at Bhatt closely. And then, just as he turned to Sabzar, perhaps to ask what to do next, Bhatt pulled out a concealed 9-mm pistol and shot both the terrorists in the head. Sabzar slouched back into the cot. Torara was thrown against the wall, blood splattering against the white as he crumpled to the ground. Bhatt fired two more bullets, to be sure.

As the swirl of gun smoke cleared, Bhatt sat down on the cot, picked up the tumbler he had set down earlier and drained the tea. Then he waited for the sun to set before he could walk, in the darkness, back to where he had come from.

And when he reached there, he would, for the first time in a fortnight, be able to use his real name: Maj. Mohit Sharma, of the Army’s 1 Para Special Forces.

https://swarajyamag.com/magazine/indias-most-fearless-the-tales-of-those-who-know-not-fear

Didn't see this posted anywhere at all around here. This is goddamn legendary.

rkhanna

Country flag
Undisclosed location near Shopian, Jammu and Kashmir, March 2004

And when he reached there, he would, for the first time in a fortnight, be able to use his real name: Maj. Mohit Sharma, of the Army’s 1 Para Special Forces.

https://swarajyamag.com/magazine/indias-most-fearless-the-tales-of-those-who-know-not-fear

Didn't see this posted anywhere at all around here. This is goddamn legendary.
Has been posted many pages back. But good read nonetheless.

The UC operations that the Para's used to do in the 90s and early 2000s were astounding.

There is a story of a 2 member team that inflitrated a jihadhi module being trained in POK. When they returned, it had been so long that the battalion manning the LOC had changed, their recog passwords had changed and there was alot of drama lol

Stories of Para's and SG with the Northern Alliance are legendary.

Waanar

Country flag
Has been posted many pages back. But good read nonetheless.

The UC operations that the Para's used to do in the 90s and early 2000s were astounding.

There is a story of a 2 member team that inflitrated a jihadhi module being trained in POK. When they returned, it had been so long that the battalion manning the LOC had changed, their recog passwords had changed and there was alot of drama lol

Stories of Para's and SG with the Northern Alliance are legendary.
I did search for the keywords on the forum but it showed no result so I thought it hadn't been posted yet. Foolish of me. :p
I have heard of the one in which the Paras ended up killing three of their own because they got involved with the trafficking ring in Afghanistan.

Could you share some of the stories, sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles