Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

Country flag

vampyrbladez

Country flag
So it seems this was the Integrated Battle Group of the Brahmastra Corps which was airlifted as a rapid deployment exercise.

Wow! These units must be rear echleon troops! Quite noticeably, the equipment and weaponry seen is far behind regulars in front line areas. The kit issued looks similar to that of soldiers manning checkpoints at Cantonments.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Some pics of Para SF.

The latest kit looks like this , circa (2017 - 19) with respect to gear :

GHATAK / PARA SF

View attachment 38949 View attachment 38950

MARCOS

View attachment 38951

View attachment 38952

GARUD

View attachment 38953

NSG

View attachment 38957

View attachment 38955

View attachment 38956
This should be the get up of our regular soldiers. SF in other countries seem to have far better kits. Feel free to school me though.
Garuds look like guys pretending to be commandos or what they think commandos look like. They don’t look like serious hardened operators of the modern age.

I’m sure they are competent enough at basic shooting and physical activities but as warfighters? Deeply skeptical considering every time I see them they are stood around posing like this.

Another key reason why SOD is needed- IAF has no idea what to do with Garuds and it’s reflected in how the Garuds present themselves.

Those elbow pads on the guys with short sleeves says it all! Look like they are bloody skateboarders not the most elite warriors India has! Anyone that had been even a few moments of combat would see how ridiculous this set up is. Like I said they are posers imagining what they think a commando looks like.
Aero India look:
22219878_1896436973941736_7034305635455866386_o.jpg
Latest tacticool look:
22281541_1896437103941723_671817223004029990_n.jpg
Combat-zone (Kashmir) look:
a418ba86a15e8a40a4d6c1c1692b9911.jpg

That example was of the Garuds but it applies to all SFs of India including Para & Marcos... Their gear in photos of actual combat seems to be far inferior to the ones in photo-ops of their latest kit, to the level where they resemble RR/regulars of today!
Thay wouldn't leave the latest gear back at the barracks, so why???

Last edited:

Kra

Aero India look:View attachment 38992Latest tacticool look:View attachment 38993Combat-zone (Kashmir) look:View attachment 38994

That example was of the Garuds but it applies to all SFs of India including Para & Marcos... Their gear in photos of actual combat seems to be far inferior to the ones in photo-ops of their latest kit, to the level where they resemble RR/regulars of today!
There seems to be no standardization in the army. I once saw some pics of a CASO in counter terrorism thread and the guys were wearing school bags . Also even in vampry's pics I saw irregularity. I remember Sandeep Unnithan writing an article about how the military doesn't have adequate funds. That was about a different topic though.

Waanar

Country flag
Aero India look:View attachment 38992Latest tacticool look:View attachment 38993Combat-zone (Kashmir) look:View attachment 38994

From what I understand, they're really into the "in rome, do as romans do" or rather, RR's irregularity has rubbed off on them. I see MARCOS, Paras and now Garuds, all looking like a bunch of pedestrians. Check this out-
Thank Unknown for the video. But like, seriously, I have seen faaar more uniformity in CoBRAs in these guys and surprisingly, QAT (which recruits heavily from ex-CoBRAs) also seems to go for the militia look when in Kashmir. I think it's just a Kashmir thing.

On a lighter note, gotta love that Delhi/Ghaziabad wala accent. The video opens up with "OYE! Iski maa ka...." and ends with "Ain? Hero mat bann tu!"

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
There seems to be no standardization in the army. I once saw some pics of a CASO in counter terrorism thread and the guys were wearing school bags . Also even in vampry's pics I saw irregularity. I remember Sandeep Unnithan writing an article about how the military doesn't have adequate funds. That was about a different topic though.
From what I understand, they're really into the "in rome, do as romans do" or rather, RR's irregularity has rubbed off on them. I see MARCOS, Paras and now Garuds, all looking like a bunch of pedestrians. Check this out-
Thank Unknown for the video. But like, seriously, I have seen faaar more uniformity in CoBRAs in these guys and surprisingly, QAT (which recruits heavily from ex-CoBRAs) also seems to go for the militia look when in Kashmir. I think it's just a Kashmir thing.

On a lighter note, gotta love that Delhi/Ghaziabad wala accent. The video opens up with "OYE! Iski maa ka...." and ends with "Ain? Hero mat bann tu!"
He's right. Clothes & gear or CRPF Cobra or Army's own regulars at LOC show quite high amount of uniformity!
It could be deliberate... (maybe because of the Kashmiri jihadis' tendency to dress up in IA standard fatigues.)

Kra

I was expecting a high cut helmet with adequate mounts. I didn't realize this has been bothering me too.

Maddy_9UY

Country flag
Garuds look like guys pretending to be commandos or what they think commandos look like. They don’t look like serious hardened operators of the modern age.

I’m sure they are competent enough at basic shooting and physical activities but as warfighters? Deeply skeptical considering every time I see them they are stood around posing like this.

Another key reason why SOD is needed- IAF has no idea what to do with Garuds and it’s reflected in how the Garuds present themselves.

Those elbow pads on the guys with short sleeves says it all! Look like they are bloody skateboarders not the most elite warriors India has! Anyone that had been even a few moments of combat would see how ridiculous this set up is. Like I said they are posers imagining what they think a commando looks like.
Some article i read few days before which said that in one Naxal operation Garuds who were deployed to rescue a Cobra radio operator left him alone along with their weapons.

Waanar

Country flag
Some article i read few days before which said that in one Naxal operation Garuds who were deployed to rescue a Cobra radio operator left him alone along with their weapons.
Hahaha. Seems that single operation will keep coming back to bite GARUDs in the ass.

Like, CoBRAs are good, heavily underrated and all but a triservice special force being rescued by Special Paramilitary unit...
There's no coming back from that man... that's gonna be a fresh memory for a very long time...

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Corrections we are where US SOF was in 2001 or even older

Small Arms
Body armour
Comms
Optics
ISR
Etc etc
New SFOD has been allocated modern equipment as per these articles.

https://www.dailyo.in/lite/politics...try-of-defence-indian-army/story/1/30043.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...rmys-special-forces-to-get-new-weapons/459700

The composite unit has also completed their first joint exercise apparently.

https://theprint.in/defence/new-tri...rikes-finishes-1st-exercise-today/298445/amp/

Waanar

Country flag
For TL:DR

Mk 48 light machine guns 715
FN Scar (H) assault rifles 1,050
Scar (L) / HK-416 assault rifles 1,400
FN .50 Cal Browning heavy machine guns 110
Helmet mounted night vision goggles 400
Combat free fall parachutes 600
Barret M107 A1 heavy sniping rifles 10

Ummm guys?
Why is SOD buying a damn WW1 HMG ffs?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
For TL:DR

Mk 48 light machine guns 715
FN Scar (H) assault rifles 1,050
Scar (L) / HK-416 assault rifles 1,400
FN .50 Cal Browning heavy machine guns 110
Helmet mounted night vision goggles 400
Combat free fall parachutes 600
Barret M107 A1 heavy sniping rifles 10

Ummm guys?
Why is SOD buying a damn WW1 HMG ffs?
M1919A6 style HMG is still extensively used. In the last 100 years , no one has produced a 12.7mm gun of similar caliber than the DSHk and that requires a technical /APC/Tank to mount and operate unlike the Browning.

Status
Not open for further replies.