Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
Through life support and spares would be priced into the deal (as is the case in almost every single defence deal these days) so there would be extensive spares, warrenties, support packages etc. It would all add up. Generally the life cycle cost model assumes 3-4 times the unit price over its life span.
It's a Rifle not a Rafale, that too an extremely simple one. Another set of barrel and bolt is all the lifetime spares it needs.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
You clearly have no knowledge of government procurement practicies :p

Every nut and bolt purchase in India is about as complex as a Rafale buy.
Well, then we were clearly conned because the Germans bought a .338LM Henel RS9 with T5Xi 25-56 scope, B&T Rotex QD suppressors for 18K a piece for their SF in a contract worth 2.08 million USD for 115 rifles. It probably included ammunition as well because this is Bundeswehrs first .338LM rifle, .338 ammunition is significantly more expensive than .308 ammunition.

The PSR winner was the Remington PSR(MSR). The contract was worth 80 million USD for 5150 rifles and includes the Rifle itself, Schmidt and Bender PM2 scope, AAC Titan QD suppressor and roughly around 900(both .300 WinMag and .338LM) rounds for each rifle for around15,000 USD per rifle.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Well, then we were clearly conned because the Germans bought a .338LM Henel RS9 with T5Xi 25-56 scope, B&T Rotex QD suppressors for 18K a piece for their SF in a contract worth 2.08 million USD for 115 rifles. It probably included ammunition as well because this is Bundeswehrs first .338LM rifle, .338 ammunition is significantly more expensive than .308 ammunition.

The PSR winner was the Remington PSR(MSR). The contract was worth 80 million USD for 5150 rifles and includes the Rifle itself, Schmidt and Bender PM2 scope, AAC Titan QD suppressor and roughly around 900(both .300 WinMag and .338LM) rounds for each rifle for around15,000 USD per rifle.
Comparing the German procurement system and India's is obviosuly not going to a worthwhile exercise.

As I have said, India's babudom creates all kind of anomolies and ineffiencies.

abingdonboy

Country flag

armyofhind

Country flag

abingdonboy

Country flag
Exactly my point brother.. really looking forward to it. I won't even be in mobile coverage on 15th else I would've tried to download it.
Fingers crossed that it is uploaded online soon after, I can't wait to see this show, it looks like it's going to be epic.

I'm still waiting to see Discovery's doc on Siachin uploaded (from last year) :(

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

India's Paratroopers - Earning the Badge : India’s deadliest warriors go through one of the toughest military selection courses in the world. All to earn a badge that they would die for.

Watch India's Paratroopers on '15th August' at 9PM on Discovery Channel.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

India's Paratroopers - Earning the Badge : India’s deadliest warriors go through one of the toughest military selection courses in the world. All to earn a badge that they would die for.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

abingdonboy

Country flag
Just the glimpse, they won't let Documentary makers to go through entire process but only some physical training part.
Hmmm, we will have to wait and see. Discovery channel (US) did a similar program called "two weeks in hell" that showed the US Army SF (Green Berets) slection process so i would expect a similar show.

I'm sure some elements won't be shown but I wouldn't be surprised if most of the 90 day selection process has been filmed.

They will show the selection process but won't show the advanced training modules of the SF (as the PARA (SF) won't have allowed that to be filmed in full). There's nothing sensitve about showing the selection process, in fact it shows how "hard" these SF nutjobs are!

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
nothing sensitve about showing the selection process, in fact it shows how "hard" these SF nutjobs are!
Hard in the sense of Physical training only not the entire module, they made a similar documentary on Siachen but they weren't allowed to film in the training area, arty and other assets deployed in Siachen Brigade.

And absolutely no photo/ video of their actual posts.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Hard in the sense of Physical training only not the entire module, they made a similar documentary on Siachen but they weren't allowed to film in the training area, arty and other assets deployed in Siachen Brigade.

And absolutely no photo/ video of their actual posts.
Exactly, the physical element only. As I said, they would not show the training modules.

If you have watched discovery's "2 week in hell" the show only focuses on the selection process, it doesn't show any of their training thereafter whatsoever and I think that will probably be how this Indian version is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles