Indian Police Force

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
No wonder armed police still carry Ishapore,
.303 rifle still!!!!
Since I live in an area where there's alot of consulates and retired judges live, I happen to see alot of Armed Police of Chennai police. Just like every evening we were playing football on the streets, then 2 armed police came to play with us, after the match I had the opportunity to talk to them about their armed force structure, like what weapons they carry (since I have only seen Ishapore rifle with them)!! They were surprised by my knowledge about firearms they said, no civilians under the torture we have to go through everyday carrying these old long rifles on buses and other public transport we commute not to mention most of the firearms won't work properly!!! Only lucky few get smgs like sterlings but even those are very old!! So I asked him do they get funding to procure new weapons, both of them laughed and said the salary we get in itself is sufficient to cover all the fundings!!!
Its really an eye opener for sure!! I really hope both central and state government helps them procure new weapons!!
Apart for that I have also seen handguns like glock 17 used by armed constable too!!

another_armchair

Country flag
Since I live in an area where there's alot of consulates and retired judges live, I happen to see alot of Armed Police of Chennai police. Just like every evening we were playing football on the streets, then 2 armed police came to play with us, after the match I had the opportunity to talk to them about their armed force structure, like what weapons they carry (since I have only seen Ishapore rifle with them)!! They were surprised by my knowledge about firearms they said, no civilians under the torture we have to go through everyday carrying these old long rifles on buses and other public transport we commute not to mention most of the firearms won't work properly!!! Only lucky few get smgs like sterlings but even those are very old!! So I asked him do they get funding to procure new weapons, both of them laughed and said the salary we get in itself is sufficient to cover all the fundings!!!
Its really an eye opener for sure!! I really hope both central and state government helps them procure new weapons!!
Apart for that I have also seen handguns like glock 17 used by armed constable too!!
A common friend had joined TN Police as an SI.

He quit within 3 years and joined a BPO.

State police jobs are not for the faint hearted or those with a strong conscience. You have to bend every day, every hour, every minute.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Many police forces in India have in the last few years decided to completely retire the Lee Enfield .303 bolt action rifles from service. They have a huge stockpile of these rifles. While these rifles are not frontline service weapons, they can still function as long range sniper rifles. The British used them as a sniper till the 90s.

Current .303 riflles in Indian police:

1609843987222.jpeg

Modernization kit from Middle East

From OFB Trichy, we also have some attempts to modernize the Lee enfield rifles (though on .315 (8 mm) IOF sporting rifle):

The basic rifle is still accurate at long ranges, reliable and has high stopping power with its 7.7*56 mm round. Hence, these rifles life can be extended through a modernization programme. These type of upgrades are a good option for sniper requirements of already cash deficient state police forces.

1609842848264.jpeg

Last edited:

Harbinger

कसाई
The issuing firearms and the type of firearms solely depends on the type of police force and their area. Areas with high threats = more sophisticated weaponry, areas with low or no threat = less sophisticated to no weaponry. Come to jharkhand or even the naxal hit parts of bihar, nearly every cop carries a Bulgarian AK or insas, 303s are for homeguards or just for some of the regular constables of police station to disperse crowd if such situation aries during public dealings , even the officers are issued with an arsenal AK, the security personnel of SPs and DMs will always carry an AK and insas in bihar and jharkhand, along with mp5s in some states like UP. Metropolitan areas like chennnai aren't hit by naxals or insurgents, so there's no need to waste tax payer's money to equip police with modern weaponry just for it to go waste. In cities like those police only have to really use a firearm during civil unrest, SLRs and 303 are more than enough for riot control since they're louder than AKs and INSAS. Even if a terrorist attack happens just in case, which is vague, every state maintains a cache of "advanced" weapons, at least AKs in district armouries. TL;DR: it's of no use to equip police with fancy weapons in less or none intensive areas, since they'll be more like a showcase. It is both waste of resources and money since those resources can be diverted to more intensive areas to assist armed forces better where it is actually needed.

Harbinger

कसाई
Many police forces in India have in the last few years decided to completely retire the Lee Enfield .303 bolt action rifles from service. They have a huge stockpile of these rifles. While these rifles are not frontline service weapons, they can still function as long range sniper rifles. The British used them as a sniper till the 90s.

Current .303 riflles in Indian police:

View attachment 72696

Modernization kit from Middle East

From OFB Trichy, we also have some attempts to modernize the Lee enfield rifles (though on .315 (8 mm) IOF sporting rifle):

The basic rifle is still accurate at long ranges, reliable and has high stopping power with its 7.7*56 mm round. Hence, these rifles life can be extended through a modernization programme. These type of upgrades are a good option for sniper requirements of already cash deficient state police forces.

View attachment 72689
A properly maintained 303 in the hands of a good shooter can be a killing machine.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
The issuing firearms and the type of firearms solely depends on the type of police force and their area. Areas with high threats = more sophisticated weaponry, areas with low or no threat = less sophisticated to no weaponry. Come to jharkhand or even the naxal hit parts of bihar, nearly every cop carries a Bulgarian AK or insas, 303s are for homeguards or just for some of the regular constables of police station to disperse crowd if such situation aries during public dealings , even the officers are issued with an arsenal AK, the security personnel of SPs and DMs will always carry an AK and insas in bihar and jharkhand, along with mp5s in some states like UP. Metropolitan areas like chennnai aren't hit by naxals or insurgents, so there's no need to waste tax payer's money to equip police with modern weaponry just for it to go waste. In cities like those police only have to really use a firearm during civil unrest, SLRs and 303 are more than enough for riot control since they're louder than AKs and INSAS. Even if a terrorist attack happens just in case, which is vague, every state maintains a cache of "advanced" weapons, at least AKs in district armouries. TL;DR: it's of no use to equip police with fancy weapons in less or none intensive areas, since they'll be more like a showcase. It is both waste of resources and money since those resources can be diverted to more intensive areas to assist armed forces better where it is actually needed.
Just one question, does TN police have both District Armed Police and TN state police???
By district, Chennai is a district in itself, so let's hope they have automatic rifles in their reserve arsenal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles