Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I like to use flashlights and lasers as a metaphor. The Scanter Surface Search Radar is like a high power flashlight with wide field of view searching the ocean surface for reflections.

The Lynx is high power laser that is used to pin point the location, trajectory and vector of a target. Once done, it can guide missiles, guns, CIWS, etc
It searches for ships or any other vessels reflection on the ocean surface, then the said radar guides the weapons to the intended target ?
We surely come have a long way from using 6 inch naval guns with rangefinders to this stuff from the stars .

binayak95

Country flag
It searches for ships or any other vessels reflection on the ocean surface, then the said radar guides the weapons to the intended target ?
We surely come have a long way from using 6 inch naval guns with rangefinders to this stuff from the stars .
So not exactly
the Scanter is meant for surveillance primarily, search for a USVs, or periscopes breaching the ocean surface say.

Primary target location is done by your primary radar - the STAR or FREGAT for example.

Scanter can do it, but its not meant for that. Its meant to keep looking for other targets while the primary radar is focused on some target.

Just more "eyes out" in layman terms.

And the target handholding from SSR /Target Acquistion Radar to FCR is done automatically via your CMS

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
So not exactly
the Scanter is meant for surveillance primarily, search for a USVs, or periscopes breaching the ocean surface say.

Primary target location is done by your primary radar - the STAR or FREGAT for example.

Scanter can do it, but its not meant for that. Its meant to keep looking for other targets while the primary radar is focused on some target.

Just more "eyes out" in layman terms.

And the target handholding from SSR /Target Acquistion Radar to FCR is done automatically via your CMS
Its still the tech from the stars for me sirji

Fatalis

Country flag
We need to develop an Indian version of ALPHA radar which can replace STAR and Revathi. A light weight naval AESA radar. Is there any such program under development? I know about RAWL-3 but I am not sure if IN is going with it. Also, it does not operate in S band.

binayak95

Country flag
We need to develop an Indian version of ALPHA radar which can replace STAR and Revathi. A light weight naval AESA radar. Is there any such program under development? I know about RAWL-3 but I am not sure if IN is going with it. Also, it does not operate in S band.
We do have indeed a MFSTAR replacement in the works. It'll debut with the P18

not so dravidian

Country flag
it mostly has to do with augutawestland deal. Initially leonardo(now part of augustawestland) was to supply L band radar. after the scam, augusta and its entire subsidiaries have been banned.

however as per contract it supplied L band for INS Vikrant, which is RAN 40

now indra has become supplier with its LTR 25 for p17a and maybe also for yet to be completed p15b.

RAWL 03 will gradually take its place for future frigates, corvettes and ng-asw vessels
Don't we already have 3D-CAR deployed onboard Kamorta class corvettes which fits into this category?
as lonewolf said not aesa and for some reason navy prefers l band and not s band. maybe wants the least rain attenuation?

Fatalis

Country flag
it mostly has to do with augutawestland deal. Initially leonardo(now part of augustawestland) was to supply L band radar. after the scam, augusta and its entire subsidiaries have been banned.

however as per contract it supplied L band for INS Vikrant, which is RAN 40

now indra has become supplier with its LTR 25 for p17a and maybe also for yet to be completed p15b.

RAWL 03 will gradually take its place for future frigates, corvettes and ng-asw vessels

as lonewolf said not aesa and for some reason navy prefers l band and not s band. maybe wants the least rain attenuation?
IN actually prefers using S + L band combo. P-17A will have probably the most modern combo in IN fleet with MFSTAR and LTR-25.

The L band radars from Indra will replace RAWL-02. We need something which can replace STAR (though it is still a modern system) and Fregat MEM like something similar to ALPHA or Smart S MK-2.

not so dravidian

Country flag
IN actually prefers using S + L band combo. P-17A will have probably the most modern combo in IN fleet with MFSTAR and LTR-25.

The L band radars from Indra will replace RAWL-02. We need something which can replace STAR (though it is still a modern system) and Fregat MEM like something similar to ALPHA or Smart S MK-2.
We need something which can replace STAR (though it is still a modern system) and Fregat MEM like something similar to ALPHA or Smart S MK-2.
i thought by STAR u meant MFSTAR and not ELTA STAR 2238.

Fregat, ELTA STAR is only equipped by the old ships i.e., 2014 and before that like Shivalik frigates, Talwar class and Admiral Grigorovich class recently, for which 2 units were signed.

currently these (ELTA STAR 2238, Fregat MEM) are replaced by the redesigning of frigates like p17a(which succeeds shivalik), which sports an integrated mast. Future will be integrated masts.

they will soon be replaced by MFSTAR integrated mast and in future NG-MFSTAR

Fatalis

Country flag
i thought by STAR u meant MFSTAR and not ELTA STAR 2238.

Fregat, ELTA STAR is only equipped by the old ships i.e., 2014 and before that like Shivalik frigates, Talwar class and Admiral Grigorovich class recently, for which 2 units were signed.

currently these (ELTA STAR 2238, Fregat MEM) are replaced by the redesigning of frigates like p17a(which succeeds shivalik), which sports an integrated mast. Future will be integrated masts.

they will soon be replaced by MFSTAR integrated mast and in future NG-MFSTAR
IN is also planning to use STAR onboard the NGMV. So, it becomes a necessity to develop a S band AESA radar which can replace Fregat and STAR because you simply cant put MFSTAR or its desi equivalent on every other ship.

IN have around 23 vessels which either use Fregat / STAR or both together.
03 P-15
03 P-17
10 P11356
03 P-16A
02 Veer class
02 Rajput class

Following ships are currently having MFSTAR:
03 P-15A
04 P-15B
07 P-17A
INS Vikrant

Following ships will most probably have the MFSTAR or its desi equivalent:
03 P-17
07 P-17B
08 NGC
05 NGD

not so dravidian

Country flag
IN is also planning to use STAR onboard the NGMV. So, it becomes a necessity to develop a S band AESA radar which can replace Fregat and STAR because you simply can't put MFSTAR or its desi equivalent on every other ship.
u r right, an aesa equivalent of 3D CAR is required. current NGMV seems to be based on just raised tower antenna.

but i present a different solution. why don't we scale down or combine the NG-corvette design for NGMV. this way we easily get the s band mast antenna, also increases the no of units of the class and thus less money and faster build time.

similar approach for NG-Frigates, which can be based on NGD. Just feel like-using NG-corvette design or scaling down NG-corvette design is better.

however, for ur argument makes sense as older ships can be replaced with a new s band AESA for MLU.

Fatalis

Country flag
@binayak95 sir ji, can you please help me identify the following two systems:

20221104_133713__01.jpg

The red one seems like a manned firing position but I am not sure. No idea about the green one.

Pic credit: Twitter

binayak95

Country flag
@binayak95 sir ji, can you please help me identify the following two systems:

View attachment 180299
The red one seems like a manned firing position but I am not sure. No idea about the green one.

Pic credit: Twitter
The Green ones are antennaes for ESM suite. The red one is a manned navigation/pilot position for minding the ship's heading inside narrow channels/harbours/etc. Not entirely sure but thats what it looks like. Will ask some guys

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
This month's long range SLBM test likely to be postponed due to presence of Chinese missile tracking ship in Indian Ocean.

GigaChadBharatiya

Country flag
Where will we build more ships in future? We have GRSE, GSL, MDL and CSL. And in pvt sector - L&T Kattupalli.
There is no scope for expansion of any of these. So we cant scale up even if we have money

Global Defence

Articles