Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
What is the status of Next Destroyer? Is it possible to increase current capability of our Vizag class destroyers. Like 32 VLS to 48 VLS or 16 Brahmos to higher in Mid life Refit.

johnj

for update on next destroyer.

read this thread

credit- @Gessler

''I'll be reproducing some points from previous posts of mine on @defence_in to give an outline for what I think NGD needs to be like.''
Just a thought which change wrt time due to new development and circumstances.
RR engine choice also favour iac 2, but it depends on circumstances.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
for update on next destroyer.

read this thread

credit- @Gessler

Quite Informative thread. Out of technologies mentioned for the Next gen Destroyers I think we have few in house products.
1. SAM- Barak-8 ,VL-SRSAM,MR-SAM currently available (XR-SAM in future)
2. Offense - Brahmos (ITCM in future)
3.127mm Gun- Waiting for Private players. (I believe Bharat Forge has a bright chance)
4.Engines - With fallout of Ukr- Russ war. Either LM-2500 or RR MT30 turbine is the only choice. ( Only worry they are going to rip our Navy's Budget)
5. Surprise to see DRDO working on a radar to replace MF-STAR. Rarely saw news in this front. Hope it will developed soon.
6. As per Design Navy will go to increment upgrade over existing class rather than new design. Since they are saner compared to IA and IAF.
7. I expect a bulk order in this class rather than piecemeal order we currently giving.

johnj

Quite Informative thread. Out of technologies mentioned for the Next gen Destroyers I think we have few in house products.
1. SAM- Barak-8 ,VL-SRSAM,MR-SAM currently available (XR-SAM in future)
2. Offense - Brahmos (ITCM in future)
3.127mm Gun- Waiting for Private players. (I believe Bharat Forge has a bright chance)
4.Engines - With fallout of Ukr- Russ war. Either LM-2500 or RR MT30 turbine is the only choice. ( Only worry they are going to rip our Navy's Budget)
5. Surprise to see DRDO working on a radar to replace MF-STAR. Rarely saw news in this front. Hope it will developed soon.
6. As per Design Navy will go to increment upgrade over existing class rather than new design. Since they are saner compared to IA and IAF.
7. I expect a bulk order in this class rather than piecemeal order we currently giving.
1. Barak 8 also called mr sam.
2. brahmos 2/ng also possible.
4. it depends on ia2 also.IN interested in iep.
5. i hope so.
If drdo can bring mf star ng[gan] then we can see akash ng or xrsam / qrsrsam plus abm/asart in p18b. I think, 5 p18a and 9 p18d [new and enlarged, not follow on] for air defence.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

Nationalist Manasvi Papa

Country flag
Regarding LHD. Again we are re tendered for 4 LHD. Looks like Spain with Juan Carlos-1 and French Mistral class will be the main contender. Wonder is it require to have TOT regarding LHD since we produced our own AC by CSL. We can built with our own knowledge.
RFI out again for 4 Landing Platform Docks for Indian Navy | The Financial Express
but LHD didn't get mentioned in this list?

Also from the dimensional requirement they've given, it seems to be in 30,000-35000 ton range.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles