Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

binayak95

Country flag
With diesel propulsion and modern radars, SSMs, and SAMs this would be a decent third rate frigate. Good enough for local operations.
We need the numbers so every extra hull count.
Diesel is overrated. Steam takes time to build up pressure sure - but is highly efficient and can produce a tonne of torque and power

Javelin_Sam

Country flag
New 600T gantry cranes from Hyundai, South Korea being unloaded at Cochin Shipyard Limited for the under-construction largest drydock in India that will be commissioned in December 2023. The new drydock can build aircraft carriers having an al up weight of upto 70,000 tonnes

download (1).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

Blood+

Country flag
Diesel is overrated. Steam takes time to build up pressure sure - but is highly efficient and can produce a tonne of torque and power
By the way, why is it that Indian Navy ships appear so underequipped when compared to ships of other navies in the same weight category?? I mean, take Kolkata-class DDGs and compare them with PLAN's Type 052Ds. They weigh pretty much the same, with Kolkata being slightly larger at 163 meters, yet the Type 052D carries a significantly larger arsenal of missiles.

And secondly, couldn't the Brahmos VLS be turned into an UVLS considering they have roughly the same dimensions as the Mk41 VLS??

binayak95

Country flag
By the way, why is it that Indian Navy ships appear so underequipped when compared to ships of other navies in the same weight category?? I mean, take Kolkata-class DDGs and compare them with PLAN's Type 052Ds. They weigh pretty much the same, with Kolkata being slightly larger at 163 meters, yet the Type 052D carries a significantly larger arsenal of missiles.

And secondly, couldn't the Brahmos VLS be turned into an UVLS considering they have roughly the same dimensions as the Mk41 VLS??
I have said this before, and I will say it again.
every navy's ships reflect their design priorities and requirements.
The PLAN intends to fight in bastions with crew ergos and comfort not very high in the priority list.
IN intends for its ships to be expeditionary in nature. operating independently with enough stores and victuals for a full operational cruise onboard.

That and multi redundant systems with thorough NBCD means you want to keep enough space inside to deal with battle damage.

Also with the new destroyers, IN understands that tech will outpace every system on board while the hull will be viable for decades - so space has been left to add on systems, and to easily access and remove other systems when they approach obsolescence.

As far as UVLS is concerned, thats a work in progress.

Blood+

Country flag
I have said this before, and I will say it again.
every navy's ships reflect their design priorities and requirements.
The PLAN intends to fight in bastions with crew ergos and comfort not very high in the priority list.
IN intends for its ships to be expeditionary in nature. operating independently with enough stores and victuals for a full operational cruise onboard.

That and multi redundant systems with thorough NBCD means you want to keep enough space inside to deal with battle damage.

Also with the new destroyers, IN understands that tech will outpace every system on board while the hull will be viable for decades - so space has been left to add on systems, and to easily access and remove other systems when they approach obsolescence.

As far as UVLS is concerned, thats a work in progress.
Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

johnj

BECZ Chinese need additional vls for LACM and ASROC, plus QRSRSAM
Mk41 VLS hot launch
1697631602861.png

Chinese VLS hot & cold launch
1697632358609.png

1697632669398.png

Don't you think. it is a bad idea to store 280kg missile in 3000kg missile cell ???
Chinese need VLS for carrying 7 types of missiles compared 2 of IN

Finally, compare PN top ship vs IN ship and PLAAN one with SK/Japanese/US navy ones, IN warships are heavily armed compared to Chinese if you consider their adversaries

Blood+

Country flag
BECZ Chinese need additional vls for LACM and ASROC, plus QRSRSAM
Mk41 VLS hot launch
View attachment 226893
Chinese VLS hot & cold launch
View attachment 226894

View attachment 226895

Chinese need VLS for carrying 7 types of missiles compared 2 of IN

Finally, compare PN top ship vs IN ship and PLAAN one with SK/Japanese/US navy ones, IN warships are heavily armed compared to Chinese if you consider their adversaries
Don't you think. it is a bad idea to store 280kg missile in 3000kg missile cell ???
While I agree with the rest of what you said, this is not a very smart way to look at things in my admittedly uninformed opinion; otherwise, the Indian Navy wouldn't be planning on putting such a thing in its next batch of DDGs.

Last edited:

johnj

While I agree with the rest of what you said, this is not a smart way to look at things in my admittedly uninformed opinion, otherwise the Indian Navy wouldn't be planning on putting such a thing in its next batch of DDGs.
Just a comparison wrt vls41
I'm having zero info about next gen DDG
Both US and EU having two versions of VLS, one for small missiles and other for large ones, both use hot launch VLS
If you consider IN, [brahmos, barak], IN need VLS similar to Chinese ones,
Also IN can use vl sam quad pack and xr/lr[250km] sam combination in the place of barak8 for next gen DDG
Hypersonic AShM, SMART, LACM, LRAShM, ABM etc need additional VLS & 24 manpads/ram

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Someone told me it's a survivability thing.. of you out less number of more reliable missiles you'll run lower risk of it blowing up like HMS Hood. Other than an ammo-cookoff modern warships are pretty hard to sink due to intersealed compartmentalisation.

Blood+

Country flag
Someone told me it's a survivability thing.. of you out less number of more reliable missiles you'll run lower risk of it blowing up like HMS Hood. Other than an ammo-cookoff modern warships are pretty hard to sink due to intersealed compartmentalisation.
Basically UNSC Pillar of Autumn.

Fatalis

Country flag
Inspired from our Slav komrads

in seriousness though, I dont see the Pennant number either - the photo is prolly older.
But you can see the pic where all the officials are standing on the ship, the deck is still red.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles