Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
as things are happening if navy is not interested in ordering new mig29 the most probably more naval lac should be ordered.

i will add one more thing to that hypothetical scenario, why not use tejas from carrier for refueling of mig 29. try and get mig 29 to fly from the AC with one more extra missle and bit less fuel and re fill it in air through tejas.
Mig 29k can also do buddy refuelling... and has better payload, might as well use it.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
Mig 29k can also do buddy refuelling... and has better payload, might as well use it.
yes u ar correct. But using a mig29 for refueling make no sense as it just adds the hours on the air-frame.
there was this article on us navy as some hornets used to do this and it caused them to retire early.

KurtisBrian

Country flag
Spare parts....what will the French be able to provide with their small industrial base and fewer old fighter to strip? F-18E huge number of planes for spare parts. MiG-29 ever larger number of old planes to strip for parts.

You guys read that Norway retired it's F-16s since they got a bunch of F-35s. Does little Norway believe only stealth is viable for fighters? You read that the USN doesn't want anymore Super Hornets. What does that say about the Super Hornet?
be glad Dr Do and your kids in the HAL are at the operating room trying to give life to Mr Ted BF, your new best friend.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Basically, CIA did an operation in iran and overthrew the democratic govt there. Then they sold the govt a ton of arms, including F14s, to make them powerful and counter Iraq, which Iran did in the Iran-Iraq war later on. However, Iran had a democratic revolution, threw the shah out, and turned very anti US. And they still have the F14s :p
If a Country like Iran with their type of Aerospace Industries can make spare parts for a sanctioned fleet of Aircraft in which the OEM has stopped supply of parts and other technical support than India with a far more Superior and more mature Aerospace Sector will have no problem in making spare parts for a sanctioned Aircraft fleet. I guess kill switches are a myth only.
F-14 (1)_2.jpg

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
as things are happening if navy is not interested in ordering new mig29 the most probably more naval lac should be ordered.

i will add one more thing to that hypothetical scenario, why not use tejas from carrier for refueling of mig 29. try and get mig 29 to fly from the AC with one more extra missle and bit less fuel and re fill it in air through tejas.
I don't know about this, you are referring to Refueling of an aircraft like MIG-29 from a plane like tejas than you call this as buddy refuelling.

Frankly speaking I don't think so that Indian Navy has plans to do anything like that. I don't know if Tejas will be able to carry that much fuel and takeoff from the Aircraft Carrier because already indian Navy Said that it was overweight for deck based Operations. And i don't think so it will be feasible to turn Tejas into a mini Refueller for the MIG-29 to Able to carry just one Extra Missile and a bit of extra range though.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
As I was saying. Navy has budget issues already. Hence the next carrier will have to be conventional Catobar only.
Ya'll Nibbiars It's probabaly a larger design if the current one with improved stability and Stealth and more effect operations aspects. But about CATOBAR I am not sure.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars It's probabaly a larger design if the current one with improved stability and Stealth and more effect operations aapects. But about CATOBAR I am not sure.
CSL had proposed that they can build sister ship of vikrant in less than 6 yrs.

considering some basic design modification, they can build it in 7-8 yrs.

Vamsi

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars It's probabaly a larger design if the current one with improved stability and Stealth and more effect operations aspects. But about CATOBAR I am not sure.
Since budget is the big problem then the next carrier should be with similar displacement as of vikrant ,but with CAROBAR

Akula

Country flag
Basically, CIA did an operation in iran and overthrew the democratic govt there. Then they sold the govt a ton of arms, including F14s, to make them powerful and counter Iraq, which Iran did in the Iran-Iraq war later on. However, Iran had a democratic revolution, threw the shah out, and turned very anti US. And they still have the F14s :p
Iran still managed to get spares for their American jets from black market.

Vamsi

Country flag
Iran still managed to get spares for their American jets from black market.
But biggest mystery for me is the engines. How did they managed to get the high end spares for those engines?

Haldilal

Country flag
Since budget is the big problem then the next carrier should be with similar displacement as of vikrant ,but with CAROBAR
Ya'll Nibbiars we can built a larger carrier on the similar design with modifications with the similar budget but the CATOBAR would be convenientlnand the EMALS is to costly.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars we can built a larger carrier on the similar design with modifications with the similar budget but the CATOBAR would be convenientlnand the EMALS is to costly.
Im guessing you mean steam catobar, emals is also a type of catobar only.

BTW I agree, Conventional steam catobar carrier of 70k tons should be a great choice....

Haldilal

Country flag
Im guessing you mean steam catobar, emals is also a type of catobar only.

BTW I agree, Conventional steam catobar carrier of 70k tons should be a great choice....
Ya'll with the current budget that the only possibility. EMALS cost a bomb. Which will delay the projecst by many years and the technology is still evolving may be in the fourth aircraft carriers.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
My 2 cents,
We know CSL is building dry dock for 50k-70k tons
So we can expect a sister ship of vikrant but with 10k tons more in order to make it efficient, carry more aircraft, catobar, etc and time can be 6-7 year
We can follow the simmilar route followed for ssbns like first s2 and s3 then 3 s4 then s5
We can have our iac 3 with all our fantasies

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles