Indian Army: News and Discussion

Jimih

Country flag
Too much of specualtion is happening here thanks to article which can't pin point so called sources which told him why these two Gen are not elevated to Coas . Gen YKJ was never in the race for COAS .

Lets for a change think the ill fated Dec 8th Air accident not happened . Gen BiRa would have completed his term in Dec 2022 in which case current Coas would have retired as per his term in April which still means Gen YKJ would have also superannuated as per record on Jan 31st . So which makes it clear even with all sudden changes Gen YKJ was not at all in the race for Coas . Its mostly Goc EC who would be the next Coas and i still have my doubts Gen MN will get elevation to CDS .
But going by the trends, the last 3 COAS were former VCOAS and also going by previous 10 COAS appointments, 6 of them were former VCOAS.

The average Service Year gap between the Incumbent and Appointee COAS for the last 8 appointments is approx 3 years.

And yes General Joshi is not going to be COAS and he got retired yesterday.

The Shrike

Country flag
I'm still hoping (against hope) that they appoint someone from the Navy or at least the Air Force to CDS position, but I guess the government will just go by some babu logic to choose the candidate 🤷‍♂️.

The Shrike

Country flag
CDS is more or less a Political appointment so Babu logic is not feasible.
Leaving the highest post unfilled because of seniority, preserving line of succession etc IS babu logic. CDS is no more "political" than any other service chief, don’t know why folks are repeating CTs of presstitutes.

Jimih

Country flag
Leaving the highest post unfilled because of seniority, preserving line of succession etc IS babu logic. CDS is no more "political" than any other service chief, don’t know why folks are repeating CTs of presstitutes.
From the last CDS appointment, I figured out that the CDS should be aligned with sitting Govt's own line of thought, that why I called it as a political appointment.

ShouvikGhosh

Country flag
If Sig-716 is cancelled, better alternative than OFB R2 rifle will be

1. 7.62*51 mm version of MCIWS (in 7.62*51 mm) or a
2. 7.62*51 mm version version of ARDE (Sig 550 style) carbine
3. 7.62*51 mm version of P-72 rifle from SSS defence
4. AK-308 from IRRL OFB Korawa factory
The Alpha Defence people said that the SSS P-72 rifle was in trials by the IA. Is there any source to back these claims ?

Haven't seen the P-72 AR outside their show room or being fired. They seem to project their snipers as their main product in every forum.

The Shrike

Country flag
From the last CDS appointment, I figured out that the CDS should be aligned with sitting Govt's own line of thought, that why I called it as a political appointment.
But the government actually have a "line of thought" when it comes to the military? Apart from talking about Atmanirbharta 2 times a year and maybe influencing inconsequential things like which song in played at parades. IMO the MoD is mostly running on inertia i.e. babus (both civil and in uniform), politicians don’t really have a clue.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Why does Army get less budget then other two wings ?
The budget is flexible. Last year, Army ended up overspending on a few sectors like infrastructure and equipment while underspending in a few.

Currently, the pattern is that funds will be allocated if govt. deems required purchase or investment to be crucial, regardless of budget.

SGOperative

Country flag
Can some one educate me on the pipeline of Tactics being sent back to infantry units based on Experience of their RR units.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles