Indian Army: News and Discussion

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I had my fingers crossed for General Joshi . He has all the experience required to be a war leader .
Lets check out his accomplishments throughout his career
1) commsioned into 13 Jakrif
2) commanded the same battalion during CI Ops in J and K
3) battalion sent to kargil , under his command the battalion won 2 PVCs , no other unit has the privelege of winning two PVCs in a single war , he himself won a VrC
4) commanded a brigade in Ladakh
5) Commanded 3 div in Leh
6) commanded XIV corps in Leh
7) Took over as Northern Army commander
What an illustrious career
8) Coordinated India's Op Snow Leopard against China for whole Two years .
He is an expert on china and has good knowledge of the mandarin language
He's the perfect candidate for COAS
He might have been the only commander who could have transcended to the level of Gen. Manekshaw if his career moved forward.

Unfortunately, it seems political parties are looking for obedient slaves instead of competent commanders.

Angel of War

Country flag
He might have been the only commander who could have transcended to the level of Gen. Manekshaw if his career moved forward.

Unfortunately, it seems political parties are looking for obedient slaves instead of competent commanders.
that's the problem . Too much politics is being played at the top brass . That's all the reason why we haven't appointed General Rawat's successor yet

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
that's the problem . Too much politics is being played at the top brass . That's all the reason why we haven't appointed General Rawat's successor yet
The govt got the idea that Gen rawat has his military and non military views inclined with that of the govt, when he was COAS. If they have this feeling wrt Gen Narvane, they will make him CDS in March end/April beginning and gen Manoj pande as COAS. If they feel CNS/CAS is inclined to their views they will wait for months for one of them to take over as CDS

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I agree, It would be good if we could develop :-

1. 7.62*51 mm version of MCIWS (which would be similar to HK417 or SIG 716) or

2. 7.62*51 mm version version of ARDE (Similar to SIG 751) or

3. 7.62*51 mm version of P-72 rifle from SSS defence from LMT tech base
1. As of now we don’t have any we don’t have any conclusive proof of the new iteration of MCIWS is using a Short Stroke gas piston or Direct Impengment, so it’s not like the HK417 or SIG 716. So we still have to assume that it’s using a long stroke piston like the INSAS or AKs.
2. SSS Defence and LMT no longer have a partnership as American ITAR rules prohibited the ToT or significant know how required to make LMT products. Only the company SSS Defense-LMT Pvt Ltd of the JV exists and is being used by them to bid for ARDE projects.

captscooby81

Country flag
Too much of specualtion is happening here thanks to article which can't pin point so called sources which told him why these two Gen are not elevated to Coas . Gen YKJ was never in the race for COAS .

Lets for a change think the ill fated Dec 8th Air accident not happened . Gen BiRa would have completed his term in Dec 2022 in which case current Coas would have retired as per his term in April which still means Gen YKJ would have also superannuated as per record on Jan 31st . So which makes it clear even with all sudden changes Gen YKJ was not at all in the race for Coas . Its mostly Goc EC who would be the next Coas and i still have my doubts Gen MN will get elevation to CDS .

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
Too much of specualtion is happening here thanks to article which can't pin point so called sources which told him why these two Gen are not elevated to Coas . Gen YKJ was never in the race for COAS .

Lets for a change think the ill fated Dec 8th Air accident not happened . Gen BiRa would have completed his term in Dec 2022 in which case current Coas would have retired as per his term in April which still means Gen YKJ would have also superannuated as per record on Jan 31st . So which makes it clear even with all sudden changes Gen YKJ was not at all in the race for Coas . Its mostly Goc EC who would be the next Coas and i still have my doubts Gen MN will get elevation to CDS .
The govt/mod can supersede a GOC-C to a VCOAS and to a COAS if it wants

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

Being, or not being in the race due to retirement date and year is pretty unfortunate and actually ridiculous. Competent people should become Chiefs (or CDS) rather than those who are available.
This is not a symbolic post like President, the Armed forces chiefs need to be competent, experienced, and adequately decorated.

Gen. YKJ as I mentioned, has served an exemplary tenure throughout his career, and ought to have been the next COAS purely based upon his experience, valor, and consistent reputation. Unfortunately, we get some random person (no disrespect meant) who will be available.

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
But they cannot send home COAS before his tenure ends right ? unless they don't want to promote him to CDS
Them not appointing a CDS is definitely worrisome. Did they not have a plan in place that if a CDS is KIA before completion, who takes over? Its been nearly 7 weeks since the incident. Since the CAS/CNS were new, they could have appointed Gen MN or VCDS (?) as CDS and Gen Mohanty or Gen YK as COAS.

Angel of War

Country flag

Its about competitiveness and experience , not about speculation . Could you think of any other officer experienced enough to lead the army other than General Joshi ? Anyone who has more experience than him ?

_merlin_

Country flag
Gen. YKJ as I mentioned, has served an exemplary tenure throughout his career, and ought to have been the next COAS purely based upon his experience, valor, and consistent reputation. Unfortunately, we get some random person (no disrespect meant) who will be available.
How is that possible? He retires before Gen Naravane finishes his term. Usually only those Lt. Gens who still have residual service as Lt. Gen on retirement date of current COAS will be considered for next COAS. If Gen YKJ retires before Gen Naravane then he's not in running for chief.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
How is that possible? He retires before Gen Naravane finishes his term. Usually only those Lt. Gens who still have residual service as Lt. Gen on retirement date of current COAS will be considered for next COAS. If Gen YKJ retires before Gen Naravane then he's not in running for chief.
? Elevate current COAS (MM Naravane) to CDS (which is anyway going to happen after his tenure as COAS completes), and make YKJ the new COAS. It will be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Even if, let's say Sir Bipin Rawat had not met with his demise, it makes sense to hold YKJ for the next 2-months or bring him from his retirement to make him COAS.

There are no hard-and-fast rules like fixed retirement dates at upper-echelons. Govt. should bend them wherever necessary if it requires. Currently govt. is treating Army as a bureaucratic stamp-office, where the head does not matter, only the stamp.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles