Indian Army: News and Discussion

LaIllahaSigmar

Country flag
Beating the Retreat: 'Abide With Me' Replaced by 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon' Amid Efforts to Indianise the Military

The traditional Christian hymn Abide With Me has been dropped for the first time since 1950 in this year’s Beating the Retreat ceremony on January 29. The patriotic Hindi song Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon will replace the iconic tune, as part of efforts towards further “Indianisation” of the military, including its tunes, training literature, traditions, customs and other practices, some of which were drawn from the British era.
Abide With Me has been a long-standing tradition of Beating the Retreat ceremony. Efforts were underway since the middle of last year to look for a suitable Indian tune to replace it.
There were plans to omit Abide With Me in Beating the Retreat ceremony in 2020, but after a public furore, it was reinstated back in the list of tunes for the event. However, in the last two years, the majority of the tunes played in the ceremony were composed by Indian musicians.

The Indian military has shed much of its British-origin customs and traditions over the decades.

However, there has been a renewed push towards further Indianisation of the military with plans to include additional indigenous texts in military training and strategic studies with more focus on Indian war heroes, leaders and thinkers and putting to rest the use of pre-Independence terms, avoiding anglicised names for military exercises, and call signs, including aviation call signs.

Jimih

Country flag
Beating the Retreat: 'Abide With Me' Replaced by 'Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon' Amid Efforts to Indianise the Military

The traditional Christian hymn Abide With Me has been dropped for the first time since 1950 in this year’s Beating the Retreat ceremony on January 29. The patriotic Hindi song Ae Mere Watan Ke Logon will replace the iconic tune, as part of efforts towards further “Indianisation” of the military, including its tunes, training literature, traditions, customs and other practices, some of which were drawn from the British era.
Abide With Me has been a long-standing tradition of Beating the Retreat ceremony. Efforts were underway since the middle of last year to look for a suitable Indian tune to replace it.
There were plans to omit Abide With Me in Beating the Retreat ceremony in 2020, but after a public furore, it was reinstated back in the list of tunes for the event. However, in the last two years, the majority of the tunes played in the ceremony were composed by Indian musicians.

The Indian military has shed much of its British-origin customs and traditions over the decades.

However, there has been a renewed push towards further Indianisation of the military with plans to include additional indigenous texts in military training and strategic studies with more focus on Indian war heroes, leaders and thinkers and putting to rest the use of pre-Independence terms, avoiding anglicised names for military exercises, and call signs, including aviation call signs.

Porkislayer

Country flag
Let's wait for the actual budget, so called "steep" came after going to record lows and was nowhere near what is required.
I think he/she is trolling the pakistanis by using the word steep because a few days ago the pakis were crying in their new security policy that India was acquiring all the latest toys with its extravagant budget and "disturbing the balance in the region". :rofl:

“The expansion of India’s nuclear triad, open-ended statements on nuclear policy, and investments in and introduction of destabilising technologies disturb the strategic balance in the region” (page 25, under “Strategic Stability”).

WolfPack86

Country flag
In 'Make In India' Push, Modi Govt Scraps Missile, Chopper Tenders Worth Over Rs 50,000 Cr
In line with the Modi government's 'Make in India' push, the Defence Ministry on Friday decided to withdraw tenders related to the import of short-range surface-to-air missiles, and 14 helicopters. The Centre has started reviewing the import deals that fall under the 'Buy Global' category, which are fully acquired from foreign vendors.

In a bid to promote the Aatmanirbhar Bharat initiative, the Defence Ministry has called off or shelved a number of deals and is mulling to sign them in favour of Indian developers.

The import deals that have been closed or deferred include the Very Short Range Air Defence Systems, towed artillery guns, vertically launched surface-to-air missiles, shipborne unmanned aerial systems, additional P-8I surveillance aircraft along with the MiG-29 combat aircraft.

Besides this, the government has also cancelled the deal for acquiring General Purpose Machine Guns and a missile deal is also going to be scrutinised. The multi-billion-dollar Kamov-226 helicopter deal with Russia, as well as the Kamov-31 shipborne choppers and Klub class anti-ship missiles, are likely to be scrapped.

The Ministry, however, allowed the forces to go ahead with a deal to buy air-to-ground missiles from France and overhaul Russian helicopters.

Modi govt's Aatmanirbhar Bharat push in the Defence sector
The move comes in the backdrop of the recent Defence Production and Export Promotion Policy laid down by the government which aims at strengthening defence production within the country and further supporting exporting to foreign countries. The initiative came after Prime Minister Modi held a review meeting with Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and other officials including the then Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat, where it was felt that strong measures would have to be taken to ensure that the country moves firmly towards Aatmanirbhar Bharat in the defence sector.

Shortly after the meeting, a note to the three Services by an Additional Secretary-rank officer of the Ministry stated that all stakeholders must take an in-principle call that no import of defence items will be going forward. Also, all the capital and revenue procurement proposed or currently underway will be critically reviewed and it will be completed by January 15.

NotASussyBoi

Country flag

Global Defence

Articles