Indian Army Artillery

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
You did think that any indeginious effort on military equipment would start with the Guns and Artillery and make the a nation self-reliant on those, Strangely ours began with Missiles,Rockets and other high end gadgets as a result we are not self-reliant on either the low end equipments or high end equipments. Some one needs a Bharat Rathna for such great fore sight!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
You did think that any indeginious effort on military equipment would start with the Guns and Artillery and make the a nation self-reliant on those, Strangely ours began with Missiles,Rockets and other high end gadgets as a result we are not self-reliant on either the low end equipments or high end equipments. Some one needs a Bharat Rathna for such great fore sight!
I hope the quote "Dams are the Temple of Modern India" would suggest a contender for Bharat Ratan for keeping our military establishment weak!! :)

san

Matel technology for the artillary is already available from experince in Arjun, Pinaka and other smaller field guns. If we learn by reverse engineering the bofors, we may have test model by 2015.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
DRDO did presented prototypes for artilary gins in 1990's but they came up with a new idea of 185mm guns, don't know on what basis that was rejected, but in cae we could have taken that project serious at that time, we might be having some real good kick a$$ weapon system in our inventory by now

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India must start developing indigenous artillery. This is probably the most basic heavy equipment that a military aspiring to be World class must develop and be self-sufficient on. Note that in a conflict scenario with China massed artillery would probably be the most effective counter against massed Chinese infantry and mechanized assault. Russia during WW2 comes to mind on this one. Where it not for the superb artillery of the Red Army and in numerous quantity the NAZIs might have prevailed in the Eastern Front.

Sikh_warrior

i think we are not corrupt enough to cheat and reverse engineer like china!

anyway on a more serious note, we should start research or whatever it takes to get into developing our own equipment and hardware!

Israel did it because its in a very rough & tough neighbourhood.
South africa did it cause they had sanctions on them for aparthaid.
iran is doing it, the sanctions are making it do it!
Chinese are doing it, cause they learned the art of reverse engineering.

what are we waiting for.....Xmas?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Russian Coalition Self Propelled 155mm/52cal Artillery is on..

"2С35 «Коалиция-СВ»" with new turret A3

The SPGH in Action:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Good news..

155mm/45cal active in good numbers..

From Arty School..

japatel93

M777 Deal???????

So what ever happened to M777 deal. At first I heard that India had completed the $700 million+ deal for over 140 M777 with the US through the FMS route. However, I then heard that the gun was in the final stages of testing and no official contract was signed as yet. However, recently, an article came out stating that the Indian Army was very critical of the M777, a howitzer which has been ecstatically approved my both the US and England. So what is the actual truth. Is the deal close to done. It has been on the rocks forever. When is the MoD going to move forward and officially acknowledge whether or not this deal is finalized. At this point, I just want an answer, although I do love the M777 and it being lightweight!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
So what ever happened to M777 deal. At first I heard that India had completed the $700 million+ deal for over 140 M777 with the US through the FMS route. So what is the actual truth. Is the deal close to done. It has been on the rocks forever. When is the MoD going to move forward and officially acknowledge whether or not this deal is finalized. At this point, I just want an answer,
M777 will be induct as the ammunition is same as bofors already in use within IA, M777 failed in certain environment probably some very compact areas where even M777 is too big to be placed, Indian adversaries using 122mm light guns on both fronts which have longer range than our own 105mm light guns, therefore Indian Army too looking for advance 122mm cannon on market with special rounds..

India has also invited bids for acquiring 122mm Howitzer as well as 33,700 numbers of 122mm Reduce charge are required. The shelf life of the Howitzer ammunition should be 15 years under sheltered conditions during peace time. The ammunition should be compatible with the 122MM howitzer gun.

Indian Army Looks Overseas for Acquiring Variety of Ammunition

KS

Bye bye DFI
M777 will be induct as the ammunition is same as bofors already in use within IA, M777 failed in certain environment probably some very compact areas where even M777 is too big to be placed, Indian adversaries using 122mm light guns on both fronts which have longer range than our own 105mm light guns, therefore Indian Army too looking for advance 122mm cannon on market with special rounds..
So that means the M777 deal is off ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I never said that, I said its easy to induced it as we already using the same ammo on bofors gun, But the gun probably failed in certain places where space is to compact to place M777 but D30 & Indian IFG..

In other words we may see 105mm, 122mm and 155mm in IA together..

lambu

the new indian express dated 20th july ( that is today ) on page 7 states army will induct by 2011 year end M 777 guns. i did not find link on website or internet regarding this news. u will find the article in banglore edition of the new indian express.surprisingly paper states that , the gun met all the requirements of army as said by army official.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Country flag
which is this howister?it seems fit for our requirements coz it has large caliber and is mobile