Indian Army Artillery

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

DRDO and BEML or any-other must have something like this once 155mm/45cal are operational...

A wheeled SPGH is needed on both fronts..

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Country flag
FLASH! BAE-Bofors Pulls Out Of Indian 155mm Gun Procurement Effort

this statement from BAE Systems:

While we are certain that the FH-77B05 is the most capable 52 calibre Towed Gun available, and it was specifically designed for and demonstrated to meet the Indian Army's requirements as stated in previous RFPs, BAE Systems has, after very careful consideration, come to the conclusion that the company will not submit a proposal. The Ministry of Defence has been informed. This conclusion was reached following a detailed assessment of the new RFP. We found that:

* The new RFP includes technical and performance relaxations that allow less capable weapon systems to enter the competition.
* This significantly reduces the competitive advantage FH-77B05 derives from its greater capability. [The FH-77B05 was optimised for the more taxing requirements of the previous RFPs]
* Therefore, the decision not to bid is a commercial one based on the high investment costs required to participate in a complex artillery competition of this nature, where the win probability has been reduced.

JBH22

Congress is scared of that word BOFOR and i highly doubt that this gun even how good it is will ever see again service in India too bad if you ask me.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Country flag
Damn this is not good news. Why was the RFP changed to relax the stringent requirement? The gun is really good and had a great chance to win. Also they have their indian partner in Mahindra to take care of offset. Pretty depressing news this is.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
This is becoming a never ending tamasha. i really wish DRDO comes up with a workable solution, and we see end of misery for all

sob

Country flag
This is disgusting. New procurement policy was supposed to streamline Defense Procurement. First they totally scr*w up the Helicopter deal and now the Artillery deal.

What can be expected from the Def Min who is more interested in his local state elections.

sob

Country flag
This is becoming a never ending tamasha. i really wish DRDO comes up with a workable solution, and we see end of misery for all
Nitesh we have seen in the past DRDO scuttling imports with a promise of a an indigenous model and then not being able to deliver for years and years.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Nitesh we have seen in the past DRDO scuttling imports with a promise of a an indigenous model and then not being able to deliver for years and years.
Take a pragmatic look, no one is perfect. In 1990's DRDO has came up with a solution, and it was rejected. And now we are in a royal mess. If they could have given a chance to that product, we might be in a better situation. At least something which works. Not stubbornly waiting for the best of the best to come.

arya

Country flag
how many self prop we have against china or pakistan

if i am not pakistan has more number then us forget about china

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
AFAIK the replacement i pretty much ready at least the hull is that is , there is no question that the Arjun's hull is to be used. The problem that remains is finalizing the weapon system to be integrated onto that hull on one hand we have the Himalaya and there is some talk of the Korean Thunder and polish Krab being in the fray as well.The decision now is purely financial as technically all three turrets can be integrated onto the arjun hull with little modification, i am not including the PZH2000 turret as rheinmetall is blacklisted with DENEL.

The Thunder has the highest range of the three and comes close to the range of the DENEL T-6 that had a 52000mt range with base bleed projectiles,however it is also the most costly.

I have also heard some talk of outright purchase of 100-150 odd units of the MSTA-S to keep up numbers in the SPGH segment.

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
how many self prop we have against china or pakistan

if i am not pakistan has more number then us forget about china

we operate around 80 units of the british abbott and 20 odd units of the catapult spgh with another 80 catapult in storage, both these sytems are now outdated . i will not give you numbers but suffice to know that as far as SPGH are concerned both our neighbours have a lead on us

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I have also heard some talk of outright purchase of 100-150 odd units of the MSTA-S to keep up numbers in the SPGH segment.
It was suggested by Army brass long back but dropped latter on..

Latter Russian offered a 155mm/52cal con-fig for SPGH and Towed..

MZ-146-1

MZ-146-1 is a modification of howitzer 2A65 MSTA-B.

MSTA-S 155MM/52CAL

MSTA-S 152MM

Last edited:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
@ Kunal- You sure about the MSTA being dropped, last i heard the files were still there for immediate confirmation in the case of an emergency(read war)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
@ Kunal- You sure about the MSTA being dropped, last i heard the files were still there for immediate confirmation in the case of an emergency(read war)
Yes it was dropped long time back..

MSTA 155mm Variant was a prototype specially deigned for India, But as we keep on dropping tenders, The prototype have no costumers, hence scrapped..