Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
when chinooks and MH-60Rs were acquired thru FMS, there used to be discussions on price.

here is a discussion on Royal Canadian airforce, and what happened after the direct purchase of their first batch F/A-18 from the company to save costs without going thru FMS.

basically they got no inputs on tactics that were being developed within U.S military, as a result lost some planes before they learnt it from europeans.
=======
Canada’s Air Force Crisis

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
basically they got no inputs on tactics that were being developed within U.S military, as a result lost some planes before they learnt it from europeans
No free lunch in geopolitics, not even to your so called blood brothers 5 eyes allies....Like that ghoul Kissinger said , US is more dangerous to its allies than enemies

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
As much as I am a staunch admirer of the Russian Su-57 program and was one of those who in the past wished the Indian Airforce would have gone ahead with the FGFA program, I am anything but in support of it now. Just a while back, we had received an offer from the US where they would help in the development of the AMCA. And now we have an offer of co production of the Su-57 from the Russians, where they will supposively share their technical expertise too. I did see the connection with AMCA in the American offer but I don't know much about the Russian one, is this offer of a trilateral co production of the Su-57 a completely different program other than the AMCA? If it doesn't affect AMCA then maybe we can consider reviewing the offer again. But one thing is clear, neither Russia nor US wants India to succeed in the AMCA project.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
As much as I am a staunch admirer of the Russian Su-57 program and was one of those who in the past wished the Indian Airforce would have gone ahead with the FGFA program, I am anything but in support of it now. Just a while back, we had received an offer from the US where they would help in the development of the AMCA. And now we have an offer of co production of the Su-57 from the Russians, where they will supposively share their technical expertise too. I did see the connection with AMCA in the American offer but I don't know much about the Russian one, is this offer of a trilateral co production of the Su-57 a completely different program other than the AMCA? If it doesn't affect AMCA then maybe we can consider reviewing the offer again. But one thing is clear, neither Russia nor US wants India to succeed in the AMCA project.
only thing Russians could have above Indian expertise now was the new gen engine called Izdeliye-30 which is no where close to production so no thanks

Super Flanker

Banned
only thing Russians could have above Indian expertise now was the new gen engine called Izdeliye-30 which is no where close to production so no thanks
Correctly said! Russian technology is now getting outdated with time and the technological gap between the west and Russia is gradually increasing, there is a reason that the Indian Armed forces want more and more Indian/Western origin weopons over Russian options. From now onwards, we should refrain from making any large scale arms transaction with Russia, at max we could procure rifles, and air defences such as addition S-400 SAMs. We are already actively using the S-400 but from what I know, DRDO is trying to design and churn out an Indian equivalent to the Russian S-400, which will near the S-400 in terms of capable though I would say that Russians are still world leaders when it comes to making air defences. For jet engines, we have agreements in place with the French, no need to for any Russian engine in the upcoming AMCA.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Correctly said! Russian technology is now getting outdated with time and the technological gap between the west and Russia is gradually increasing, there is a reason that the Indian Armed forces want more and more Indian/Western origin weopons over Russian options. From now onwards, we should refrain from making any large scale arms transaction with Russia, at max we could procure rifles, and air defences such as addition S-400 SAMs. We are already actively using the S-400 but from what I know, DRDO is trying to design and churn out an Indian equivalent to the Russian S-400, which will near the S-400 in terms of capable though I would say that Russians are still world leaders when it comes to making air defences. For jet engines, we have agreements in place with the French, no need to for any Russian engine in the upcoming AMCA.
I wont call Russians best in Air Defense, the best Air Defense comes from Fighter planes, Ruskis are no where near West.
S-400 is a good system only when its protected by great Air Force without it S-400 can be taken down …

India will eventually gain on Barak-8ER TOT and develop a extreme range Air defense missile and accompanying Radar suite but we have to invest a good chunk so either Air force based defense or Extreme range Ground based … I will chose Air based defense anytime

Super Flanker

Banned
I wont call Russians best in Air Defense, the best Air Defense comes from Fighter planes, Ruskis are no where near West.
I didn't say that Russians make the best air defence systems. I said that they are world leaders when it comes to development of SAM systems, when I say this, I mean to say that they make some of the most potent air defence systems, there is a reason why India choose to go ahead and purchase the S-400 inspite of the pressure of US sanctions and alternative missile systems available from other countries such as the American Patriot/THAAD.
S-400 is a good system only when its protected by great Air Force without it S-400 can be taken down …
Then this logic must apply to pretty much every air defence present at the moment?

So Patriot/THAAD is a good missile system only when it is under the protection of aircrafts such as F-22, F-35, F-15?
So Chinese HQ series air defence systems are good missile systems only when it is under the protection of aircrafts such as J-15, J-16, J-20?
The same must apply to SAM systems designed and built by Israel, Europe, India etc too right?
India will eventually gain on Barak-8ER TOT and develop a extreme range Air defense missile and accompanying Radar suite but we have to invest a good chunk so either Air force based defense or Extreme range Ground based … I will chose Air based defense anytime
We must develop everything in house, be it radar or missile and we are making great progress for the same. Most of our missiles are right now if Indian origin, and with very little foreign components, though Brahmos and Barak are exception as they are jointly developed by India with Russia and Israel respectively.

spacemarine2023

Country flag
Then this logic must apply to pretty much every air defence present at the moment?

So Patriot/THAAD is a good missile system only when it is under the protection of aircrafts such as F-22, F-35, F-15?
So Chinese HQ series air defence systems are good missile systems only when it is under the protection of aircrafts such as J-15, J-16, J-20?
The same must apply to SAM systems designed and built by Israel, Europe, India etc too right?
My point was when confused between a best SAM system and a good Fighter plane, the choice should always be latter.
Fighter planes provide much better air defense than a SAM system.

India with limited budget and resources cant focus on both here one program always axes another, developing an all tier SAM system like S-400 will take equal amount of budget as MWF, we should continue the R&D on SAM also but focus should be Fighters.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
View attachment 230334
The Indian Air Force (IAF) is exploring the possibility of upgrading its fleet of 17 IL-76 strategic transporters through collaboration with Indian private sector companies and defense Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs). The proposed upgrade, which was initially discussed with Russia in 2018, aims to extend the operational life of the IL-76 aircraft by another 15 years.

At the heart of the upgrade lies the replacement of the outdated Soloviev D-30KP turbofan engines with the more fuel-efficient and less noisy PS-90a-76 turbofan engines. This change would not only enhance the aircraft’s performance but also allow it to operate on commercial routes.

The IAF is in discussions with Rostec, the Russian state corporation that controls the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC), regarding the direct supply of the PS-90a-76 engines to an Indian company like Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL). HAL would then be responsible for carrying out the required engine swaps and integrating the new engines with the aircraft. In addition to the engine upgrade, the IAF is also considering incorporating a digital cockpit to replace the older analogue instruments. This modernization would enhance the crew’s situational awareness and simplify the aircraft’s operation.
nice development but instead of PS-90A-76 they should aim to get newer PD-14M which is about similar to former one in mass-dimension and all but offers better thrust and bypass ratio and overall performance

Global Defence

New threads

Articles