Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

singhboy98

Country flag
I don't know why this conversation is dragging on so long. Being a pilot (of civilian airlines) is a respectable and well-paying job, and in no way you can compare it with being a conductor/driver of a train or bus.

How many IAF/IA personnel end up being flag officers? A tiny majority, most retire after achieving Colonel/Group Captain. Many take voluntary retirement due to health issues, stress, or just on the ground that they were not promoted.

Now, once outside into the world, what is one supposed to do ? If they have any specific trade skills, they tend to go towards that side. Mil. doctors are easily absorbed by leading hospitals, some open their own clinics. Technical personnels are often absorbed in their respective govt. or PSU industry, and pilots into flying/training.

It's just natural. From your reply, I think perhaps any of your family members are affiliated with the armed forces, then you should know the immense stress and mental torture they go through. An easy civilian life with a fat salary is pretty lucrative.
You are right about this being a needless conversation that is being dragged on for too long. What I originally intended to say (and something which was lost in translation when my post was being taken to be disrespectful towards commercial pilots) was that war heroes like Gp.Cpt. Nachiketa deserve to be in the top leadership of the Armed Forces or the Government. My neighbour is a retired Major General who then went on to serve the MoD in various capacities (including JS/AS level posts). And he is not even a war hero. Anyways, lets end this useless discussion now.

Marcus Aurelius

Country flag
Like I said, it is difficult for someone with no exposure to government hierarchy to understand. A Group Captain is a very senior position (Level 14 IIRC). These people should be in the upper management in any organization they are in. Leaving that to sharing designations with normal civilians with not even 10 years of flying experience (what is the cutoff to appear for the Captain exam anyway) is something which I will never understand. That is why I stated that it is a shame that he has to do this. I don't know why he was not promoted to flag rank in the IAF?.
That said, If money is everything, then well, everything is fair I guess.
Bhai, an IPS who is an SSP wears the rank of a full colonel or group captain and is in his mid 30s, several IG ranked IPS officers are in their late 40s, if you compare a group captain with his civilian counterpart- it means nothing, its not a senior rank at all, you become a joint secretary (major general equivalent) in 18 years in the IAS, IPS and IFS. furthermore, there are several other civilian govt organisations where promotions are very swift. Hence a group captain is not a senior rank for civilian group A officers and if a retd Group Captain is flying a commercial airliner, its not beneath his dignity, there are several retd brigadiers from AMC who work as regular consultants in pvt hospitals.

daya

Country flag
When will we Indian learn...
For €90,000 (!), a Chinese company bought the assets (patents, tools, prototype) of
@lisaairplanes , a Savoyard start-up that created the Akoya, a seaplane capable of landing anywhere.

SKC

Country flag
Group Captain Nachiketa also had some back pain issues due to his ejection, and then transferred from Migs to flying IL-78 tankers if I’m not mistaken, so this too might be another reason for his early retirement and taking a relatively less stressful occupation, with good pay.
in most cases, Ejection in mid-flight causes the Pilots to move away from Flying duties and turn to desk jobs.
Most Pilots then retire within few years and join commercial airline industry.

DumbPilot

Country flag
You are right about this being a needless conversation that is being dragged on for too long. What I originally intended to say (and something which was lost in translation when my post was being taken to be disrespectful towards commercial pilots) was that war heroes like Gp.Cpt. Nachiketa deserve to be in the top leadership of the Armed Forces or the Government. My neighbour is a retired Major General who then went on to serve the MoD in various capacities (including JS/AS level posts). And he is not even a war hero. Anyways, lets end this useless discussion now.
A war hero does not necessarily mean he is fit to handle top level administrative posts. Action and administration are two entirely separate things.

Your posts are making mountains out of molehills

singhboy98

Country flag
A war hero does not necessarily mean he is fit to handle top level administrative posts. Action and administration are two entirely separate things.

Your posts are making mountains out of molehills
My sweet summer child. You actually think all the Level 14s & Level 15s sitting Delhi are there because of their "fitness to handle the administrative posts"? Wake up, the upper bureaucracy is filled with mediocres (especially the non-IAS janta). Heck, you should meet some of the Army 1 stars and 2 stars. You would likely realise why the military bureaucracy is the way it is.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Like I said, it is difficult for someone with no exposure to government hierarchy to understand. A Group Captain is a very senior position (Level 14 IIRC). These people should be in the upper management in any organization they are in. Leaving that to sharing designations with normal civilians with not even 10 years of flying experience (what is the cutoff to appear for the Captain exam anyway) is something which I will never understand. That is why I stated that it is a shame that he has to do this. I don't know why he was not promoted to flag rank in the IAF?.
That said, If money is everything, then well, everything is fair I guess.
LOL not everyone wants a bureaucratic paper pushing desk job, maybe he wanted to keep flying. Why are you second Guessing him, we have no data to conclude either way, his choice his life

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

A C-17 heavy-lift transport aircraft is facing serviceability issues and is on the runway at Leh. The issue is in the process of being rectified and the runway is expected to be made available for flying by tomorrow morning: IAF officials
Why is this news? It’s a real possibility in the aviation world for an aircraft to face some serviceability issue and be immobile on a runway or any other airport facility. Some aviation “journalists” and “influencers” on social media are simply making it a big deal.

DumbPilot

Country flag
Why is this news? It’s a real possibility in the aviation world for an aircraft to face some serviceability issue and be immobile on a runway or any other airport facility. Some aviation “journalists” and “influencers” on social media are simply making it a big deal.
When a major regional airport gets shut down, it is news

vishnugupt

Country flag
ALH grounded
Mig grounded
Su-30MKI, Mig29, Submarines without spares parts
Americans are unreliable
Rest of things in trials

72 years of hard work of UN Generals has brought Indian to its knees.

Current COAS will retire in next few months. In 2 years service Poor guy will be known for only 2 things
1) 114
2) Son promoted as Rafale pilot.

But on retirement day we will hear news like "Outgoing COAS revolutionised IAF"

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
ALH grounded
Mig grounded
Su-30MKI, Mig29, Submarines without spares parts
Americans are unreliable
Rest of things in trials

72 years of hard work of UN Generals has brought Indian to its knees.

Current COAS will retire in next few months. In 2 years service Poor guy will be known for only 2 things
1) 114
2) Son promoted as Rafale pilot.

But on retirement day we will hear news like "Outgoing COAS revolutionised IAF"
What a wonderful time we have created for our enemies to pull up their stunts
But we have battle hardened and experienced generals
Infact people scold civilian bureaucrats for being incompetent what will they do when they get to know or get interested into military affairs and military bureaucrats

vishnugupt

Country flag
What a wonderful time we have created for our enemies to pull up their stunts
But we have battle hardened and experienced generals
Infact people scold civilian bureaucrats for being incompetent what will they do when they get to know or get interested into military affairs and military bureaucrats
Only fools believe Bureaucracy as a reason for insufficiency of armed forces. Though I do not have good opinion on Bureaucracy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles