Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Excellent discussion on why manufacture of Tejas has to be given to the private Sector. Present rate of roll out by HAL is just 7 Tejas per year. We need at least 30 per year to make a difference.

HAL is pretty inefficient as compared to the private sector that is already constructing warships and submarine hulls. RaGa should know that this is the reason why Dassault refused a tie-up with HAL for producing Rafales in India and opted for a private sector firm instead. But RaGa continues his tirade against Modi and the BJP asking why the production of Rafales is not being given to HAL but the private sector as he seemingly smells corruption in the deal! His brain cells need a lot of tweaking as he seems not to comprehend the nuances involved.

akk

Country flag
Excellent discussion on why manufacture of Tejas has to be given to the private Sector. Present rate of roll out by HAL is just 7 Tejas per year. We need at least 30 per year to make a difference.

HAL is pretty inefficient as compared to the private sector that is already constructing warships and submarine hulls. RaGa should know that this is the reason why Dassault refused a tie-up with HAL for producing Rafales in India and opted for a private sector firm instead. But RaGa continues his tirade against Modi and the BJP asking why the production of Rafales is not being given to HAL but the private sector as he seemingly smells corruption in the deal! His brain cells need a lot of tweaking as he seems not to comprehend the nuances involved.

Sir, I am not a supporter of Hal. But it only has a confirmed order of 20 lca aircraft. Foc is not yet done by ada so they have no reason to ramp up capacity. If they had a pending order of 200 aircraft, surely making 8 a year wouldn't make sense. But with 20 orders only, they are doing pretty well. We should remember that entire onus of lca does not lie with Hal.
They have confirmed orders for su 30 and they are doing well there. Once they have confirmed lca orders, I think they will proportionately ramp up production.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Sir, I am not a supporter of Hal. But it only has a confirmed order of 20 lca aircraft. Foc is not yet done by ada so they have no reason to ramp up capacity. If they had a pending order of 200 aircraft, surely making 8 a year wouldn't make sense. But with 20 orders only, they are doing pretty well. We should remember that entire onus of lca does not lie with Hal.
They have confirmed orders for su 30 and they are doing well there. Once they have confirmed lca orders, I think they will proportionately ramp up production.
You have a point there. But even if orders for 200 Tejas is confirmed, HAL still won't have the capacity to produce 30 a year due to lack of infrastructure and work ethics. My friend the late Air Commodore Parvez Khokar who was a test pilot at HAL did mention the fact that there is a lack of work culture in HAL, just like most government organizations.

lcafanboy

Country flag
You have a point there. But even if orders for 200 Tejas is confirmed, HAL still won't have the capacity to produce 30 a year due to lack of infrastructure and work ethics. My friend the late Air Commodore Parvez Khokar who was a test pilot at HAL did mention the fact that there is a lack of work culture in HAL, just like most government organizations.
If HAL is going to manufacture 200 Tejas, india will be the only country in the world which will be inducting 4.5gen fighters in 2035 when world would have moved on to 5.5gen fighters and 6th gen manned/unmanned fighters will start making appearance in US and Europe and IAF will still be imported air force...:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Jai ho.. DiPSU HAL reservation quota chaap workers truly parasites....:frusty::frusty::frusty:

akk

Country flag
Sir,
If HAL is going to manufacture 200 Tejas, india will be the only country in the world which will be inducting 4.5gen fighters in 2035 when world would have moved on to 5.5gen fighters and 6th gen manned/unmanned fighters will start making appearance in US and Europe and IAF will still be imported air force...:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Jai ho.. DiPSU HAL reservation quota chaap workers truly parasites....:frusty::frusty::frusty:
Sir, with due respect, I repeat.
Hal only has confirmed orders of 20 planes of which 10 have been delivered. I don't know what's the point of blaming Hal at this point.
You can blame the system as a whole, that includes ada, mod and iaf but should not single out Hal in my humble view.

Sancho

Sir,

Sir, with due respect, I repeat.
Hal only has confirmed orders of 20 planes of which 10 have been delivered. I don't know what's the point of blaming Hal at this point.
You can blame the system as a whole, that includes ada, mod and iaf but should not single out Hal in my humble view.
You are partially right, HAL is dependent on orders from IAF, which itself is dependent on ADA for successful developing and certifying. So HAL indeed is at the receiving end here, but you can hold them accountable to their own promises and they are behind schedule wrt the production of IOC fighters and at least publicly we don't know where the MK1A upgrade is right now, for which HAL also is in charge for.

Accountability and holding the right companies, or persons accountable is always a problem in India. Politicians, IAF, import lobby,...HAL, although the real problem lies at ADA/DRDO an their scientist.

akk

Country flag
You are partially right, HAL is dependent on orders from IAF, which itself is dependent on ADA for successful developing and certifying. So HAL indeed is at the receiving end here, but you can hold them accountable to their own promises and they are behind schedule wrt the production of IOC fighters and at least publicly we don't know where the MK1A upgrade is right now, for which HAL also is in charge for.

Accountability and holding the right companies, or persons accountable is always a problem in India. Politicians, IAF, import lobby,...HAL, although the real problem lies at ADA/DRDO an their scientist.
I wonder who is responsible for mk1a. Is it Hal or ada again.
Also, we say confirmed order of 20 ioc but even that is incorrect, since these 20 include dual seat versions that are also disputed or were disputed at least till recently. So actually Hal only has confirmed orders of 16-18 aircraft.
I entirely accept your views on status of accountability. I agree that Hal has been criticised slightly unfairly and disproportionately for the delay. Major blame lies with ada and iaf.

Sancho

I wonder who is responsible for mk1a. Is it Hal or ada again.
HAL, they are responsible for selecting the upgrade parts, according to IAF requirements. ADA is responsible for FOC and MK2.

Also, we say confirmed order of 20 ioc but even that is incorrect, since these 20 include dual seat versions that are also disputed or were disputed at least till recently.
We have confirmed orders for 40 LCA, but 20 of them still require FOC certification and there is an issue raised by IAF on the trainers, but that only means that they would be added to the FOC production, which with increased production rate, could come together too. It doesn't change the ordered numbers.

akk

Country flag
We have confirmed orders for 40 LCA, but 20 of them still require FOC certification and there is an issue raised by IAF on the trainers, but that only means that they would be added to the FOC production, which with increased production rate, could come together too. It doesn't change the ordered numbers.[/QUOTE]
Sir, it only means that Hal has a go ahead for only about 16-18 planes (maybe order is inaccurate term here). They have delivered 10 and in all likelihood, will deliver the rest before foc. I am not sure if they can be blamed for any delay at this point of time.
Mk1a, yes they should tighten up belt if it is their responsibility, but again, I am not sure if they can actively work towards that before foc is achieved, since mk1a will be built upon foc version not the ioc version.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
A lambo powerplant (700 hp i.e. 1750 lbs appx) agianst a beast of an engine with 20723 lbs of thrust (8289 hp appx) ... that's a lame drag race. :bplease:
But I am not impressed with Camera work.
We Indians have a habit. We don't do it perfection. You won't get to lambo vs mig29 every day.

binayak95

Country flag
But I am not impressed with Camera work.
We Indians have a habit. We don't do it perfection. You won't get to lambo vs mig29 every day.
Bro, the IN has not yet released its promo video of the same. This is some enthusiast's video.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Bro, the IN has not yet released its promo video of the same. This is some enthusiast's video.
Indian Military releases only few videos.
Just check on Youtube you will find many clips of other nation military but only few of ours , that too with annoying BGM.

Sancho

Shangai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Peace Mission Exercise 2018

scatterStorm

Country flag
I am waiting for the Exercise Pitch Black A2A and BVR engagements with our MKI's. I want to see the data, how we fared against them.

We and French are the new entrants this time but certainly not the weakest. I also want to know how Rafael's fared against other jets since the next jet in our lineup is Rafael's.

So this time it's just not MKI's but Rafaels' data too to be faced with scrutiny.

I am pretty sure our tango's and foxtrots will surprise the shit outta some folks who never faced a flanker before. :biggrin2:

BVR engagements I am most looking for are the Rafael's since french will make there Radar's Hot, although I dislike it the most since friendly will still try to snoop the data. MKI's pilots are under strict orders to go blind.

I hope there will be someone on active duty on this forum who will pull the data or any sort of news.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles