Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
Here is my state-wise distribution of IAF fighter fleet: (assuming everything is forward deployed)

Maharastra: 2 sqdn (For Anti-Ship & to ward off any Fidayeen tendencies by PAF... since the latter has now acquired long range J-10C)

TN: 1 Sqdn for long range Anti-Shipping role

A&N: 2 sqdn for Anti-shipping & Air defence of the islands

Gujarat: 3 sqdn (Presence of industries, disputed Sir Creek & a special hate for this state in Paki mind since 2002 & bcoz of Modi)

Rajasthan: 7 sqdn (Air-defence, Ground support & deep penetration strikes)

Punjab/Haryana: 6 sqdn (Same as above + ensure no Hawai Fidayeen gets to Delhi for psychological point scoring)

J&K: 6 sqdn (for obvious reasons... air-defence & resolute offensive in POK)

Ladakh: 3 sqdn

Western UP / UKD: 3 sqdn

North Bihar & Bengal: 3 sqdn (for Sikkim front & Chicken's neck)

North-East: 6 sqn (Take on the PLAAF, Burmese & Raqibul Bangaluddins)

Total: 42 sqdn of Multirole combat Aircraft... sufficient I think.

Last edited:

NutCracker

Country flag
Here is my state-wise distribution of IAF fighter fleet: (assuming everything is forward deployed)

Maharastra: 2 sqdn (For Anti-Ship & to ward off any Fidayeen tendencies by PAF... since the latter has now acquired long range J-10C)

TN: 1 Sqdn for long range Anti-Shipping role

A&N: 2 sqdn for Anti-shipping & Air defence of the islands

Gujarat: 3 sqdn (Presence of industries, disputed Sir Creek & a special hate for this state in Paki mind since 2002 & bcoz of Modi)

Rajasthan: 7 sqdn (Air-defence, Ground support & deep penetration strikes)

Punjab/Haryana: 6 sqdn (Same as above + ensure no Hawai Fidayeen gets to Delhi for psychological point scoring)

J&K: 6 sqdn (for obvious reasons... air-defence & resolute offensive in POK)

Ladakh: 3 sqdn

Western UP / UKD: 3 sqdn

North Bihar & Bengal: 3 sqdn (for Sikkim front & Chicken's neck)

North-East: 6 sqn (Take on the PLAAF, Burmese & Raqibul Bangaluddins)

Total: 42 sqdn of Multirole combat Aircraft... sufficient I think.
🔫 As a guy from MP I am deeply offended .
Gwalior is where Balakot bomber Mirage took flight with Jabalpur ordinance factory made thousand pounder bombs.

NutCracker

Country flag
It's wartime forward deployment... theatre specific... doesn't mean in peace they can't be located at other places
Understandable.. But I think its essential to have plenty of squadron deep inside territory because kamikaze drones with 200-300 km range can easily target hangers in front line. Even Russia lost plenty of planes when its hanger was attacked.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
I was watching the Airforce Academy series on discovery+ where several recruits in training are followed. 3 things I observed :
1. IAF still stuck in 70's mindset as far as recruitment is concerned. They have a welcome desk at the railway station but nothing at the airport ! So cadets who want to join and come by flight have to further proceed to the rly station from the airport. Typical sarkari babu thinking, still they think ppl travel in trains. They should make it easy for new cadets to join not the other way round, learn from US army recruitment methods.
2. Dining etiquette . This bugs me no end ! Leftover of colonial raj. Absolutely waste of time. How in hell can chole bature etc be eaten with fork. As long as the cadet eats cleanly and quickly you don't need to force fit colonial eating manners to please a non existent white sahib colonel .
3. Buddy pair , the commander said that we train them to think in terms of buddy pair etc..this is again WW2 British thinking. I bet they too have done away with this by now.

It appears to me that from the time britshits left in 1947 our training basics have not evolved.

Narasimh

Country flag
I was watching the Airforce Academy series on discovery+ where several recruits in training are followed. 3 things I observed :
1. IAF still stuck in 70's mindset as far as recruitment is concerned. They have a welcome desk at the railway station but nothing at the airport ! So cadets who want to join and come by flight have to further proceed to the rly station from the airport. Typical sarkari babu thinking, still they think ppl travel in trains. They should make it easy for new cadets to join not the other way round, learn from US army recruitment methods.
2. Dining etiquette . This bugs me no end ! Leftover of colonial raj. Absolutely waste of time. How in hell can chole bature etc be eaten with fork. As long as the cadet eats cleanly and quickly you don't need to force fit colonial eating manners to please a non existent white sahib colonel .
3. Buddy pair , the commander said that we train them to think in terms of buddy pair etc..this is again WW2 British thinking. I bet they too have done away with this by now.

It appears to me that from the time britshits left in 1947 our training basics have not evolved.
Armed forces are the most colonially stuck institutions of the country.

binayak95

Country flag

I detect a sense of envy.

Dining etiquette is important for several reasons:
1. A sense of elitism. These are the FINEST young men in India. They deserve and need to think of themselves as ELITE. The best of the best. That self confidence, strength of conviction and arrogance serves them well.
And etiquette is but one part of grooming them to be gentlemen, If anything standards have fallen from back in my day.

2. Buddy pair is the bloody best way to ragdofi camaraderie into men and women, or do you want them to be self centered pricks who will not be willing to sacrifice their lives and comfort for others? If you cant be fucked for your buddy's mistakes, you wont be taking a bullet meant for him either.

3. the railway station thing is BS - there is an MCO and you need to go there, or you can proceed and report to the desk at the academy too.

binayak95

Country flag
Armed forces are the most colonially stuck institutions of the country.
Colonial mindset meaning British professionalism? thank the Gods for that. Look at the militaries of our neighbours if you want to know what happens when the officers are not thoroughly grounded in their training.

Strict adherence to discipline. Absolutely inhuman punishments, metted out for the slightest and most frivolous of punishments - that is what makes your NDA/INA officers a cut above

Narasimh

Country flag
Colonial mindset meaning British professionalism? thank the Gods for that. Look at the militaries of our neighbours if you want to know what happens when the officers are not thoroughly grounded in their training.

Strict adherence to discipline. Absolutely inhuman punishments, metted out for the slightest and most frivolous of punishments - that is what makes your NDA/INA officers a cut above
what has discipline and professionalism got to do with colonial mindset?
I hope you are not suggesting that british gave us discipline and professionalism and there was no army worth its salt in the pre-colonized era!?

What i meant is that traditions, administrative practices, training still has the vestige of colonial past which even though has reduced in the past few years but still continue to drag and cost us.

it would have been ok if we did not have a rich history or culture, we should just soak up all that our colonizers handed out to us. But when we see that from little traditions like farewell with customary "jolly good fellow" to adopting names of institutions to having a borrowed cross on a flag of an already culturally rich nation for so many years all point to the same.

i do appreciate whatever we can learn from strategically adept and experienced nations but imbibing that education has to be our own prudent, cautious endeavor.

binayak95

Country flag
what has discipline and professionalism got to do with colonial mindset?
I hope you are not suggesting that british gave us discipline and professionalism and there was no army worth its salt in the pre-colonized era!?

What i meant is that traditions, administrative practices, training still has the vestige of colonial past which even though has reduced in the past few years but still continue to drag and cost us.

it would have been ok if we did not have a rich history or culture, we should just soak up all that our colonizers handed out to us. But when we see that from little traditions like farewell with customary "jolly good fellow" to adopting names of institutions to having a borrowed cross on a flag of an already culturally rich nation for so many years all point to the same.

i do appreciate whatever we can learn from strategically adept and experienced nations but imbibing that education has to be our own prudent, cautious endeavor.
What the British introduced to India was the concept of officers who were officers because of their selection/training/merit. And not officers who were born to a particular family.

And yeas, the army of the marathas and the mughals and the sikhs wasnt modern or merit based at all.
There's enough stories of warlords and generals betraying their own kings for momentary gain in wealth/prestige to tell you exactly what kind of discipline they had.

have you ever been inside a military academy? They teach everything about the history of the Indian kingdoms, heck the names of training schools are Zamorin, Angre, Dronacharya and the like for the Navy.

Why does that deter the navy or the army or the air force from retaining the merits of the anglican officer corps. the modern day Indian military was forged in the battles of WWII.

WWII, not the fantasy that arm chair idiots stroke to.

and yeas, that includes Bose's army.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles