Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Hari Sud

Country flag
Curious to know if IAF is preparing to battle UCAVs launched en-masse by our hostile neighbour. Imagine there are 40 armed UAVs are coming towards a vital Indian installation or 40 suicide drones with a range of 500km are heading from Sargodha or Lahore air base in Pakistan to Delhi, then what defence IAF has to stop them.

I understand US and UK are practicing shooting down these drones although some will get thru, no matter what you try.

Super falcon

Country flag
Raytheon and Northrop Grumman jointly build Electronic jamming aircraft for indian airforce to tackle threats

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Does anyone know which Aviators Night Vision Goggles does the IAF use for fixed wing aircraft? I know the rotary wing pilots use the Israeli Nogalight NL-93 NVGs. Only the latest generation fighter jet helmets/HMDS have an integrated night vision system. So if anyone could please help me in this regard, I’d like to offer my thanks in advance.
@Saumyasupraik @Gessler @abingdonboy @Chinmoy @Tactical Doge @Scramjet and others.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Does anyone know which Aviators Night Vision Goggles does the IAF use for fixed wing aircraft? I know the rotary wing pilots use the Israeli Nogalight NL-93 NVGs. Only the latest generation fighter jet helmets/HMDS have an integrated night vision system. So if anyone could please help me in this regard, I’d like to offer my thanks in advance.
@Saumyasupraik @Gessler @abingdonboy @Chinmoy @Tactical Doge @Scramjet and others.
We use DASH HMD for HAL Tejas, Su-30MKI, Mig-29, Mirage-2000, Jaguar and Mig-21.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
We use DASH HMD for HAL Tejas, Su-30MKI, Mig-29, Mirage-2000, Jaguar and Mig-21.
I’m asking about the Night Vision Goggles used with or without the HMDs on IAF Fixed wing aircraft. Only the latest gen HMDs like the BAE Striker II have integrated NV in them. And if I’m not mistaken Su-30MKI, Mig 29UPG and Mig-21 use other HMDs. Mig 29k and M-2000 use the Thales Topsight HMDS.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I’m asking about the Night Vision Goggles used with or without the HMDs on IAF Fixed wing aircraft. Only the latest gen HMDs like the BAE Striker II have integrated NV in them. And if I’m not mistaken Su-30MKI, Mig 29UPG and Mig-21 use other HMDs. Mig 29k and M-2000 use the Thales Topsight HMDS.
DASH HMD are integrated with Night Vision Sights. I believe we procured HMD and NVS as a combo.

DumbPilot

Country flag

We might be using LCA Tejas first time in a bilateral exercise.
TACDE program with the LCA matured? AFAIK they were developing WVR/BVR tactics for the Tejas..

(speaking out of my ass here) Or it might be a way to test the teachings from TACDE, I guess.. Tejas against European jets would be a great benchmark. Might even boost popularity with the IAF, I guess?

Wisemarko

Country flag
“We’ve got the JV with TBAL in Hyderabad that is making Apache fuselage, which is for the export customers……So now, for example, we just got an order for 96 Apache out of Poland. Those Apache fuselages are coming out of India. That will be then part of the Apache product, also in Poland.”

Boeing’s Maria Laine says F/A-18 to add strategic edge to Indian Navy, to scale up supply chain
Boeing is determined to leverage its supply chain advantage in India and commits to scale up for F/A-18 Super Hornet if selected for Navy. Maria Laine, VP, International Business Development, for Boeing’s Defence, Space & Security share India plans

Super falcon

Country flag
News are DRDO are working on indigenous system

singhboy98

Country flag
I detect a sense of envy.

Dining etiquette is important for several reasons:
1. A sense of elitism. These are the FINEST young men in India. They deserve and need to think of themselves as ELITE. The best of the best. That self confidence, strength of conviction and arrogance serves them well.
Won't comment on the rest of your post but this segment warrants a response. Generally speaking, the Armed Forces are not getting the cream of the crop by any standards of measurement with a few exceptions. While the "best of the best" may have been true in your times (whatever that means), from what I have seen and heard from my friends in the IMA/AFA/INA, this is patently untrue right now especially in the brains department. Some of the stories I have heard from these commissioned officers (acquaintances/batch mates) of the way the system is gamed by those inside to get kith and kin through left me really perturbed about the future.

The recruitment system for Officers of the Armed Forces need major and rapid overhaul yesterday. The best brains of the country do not place the Armed Forces anywhere on their list of potential careers. So while the Army (and its sister arms) may be ELITE compared to Pakistan or something similar, they are definitely not at par in the brains department with the best of their civilian compatriots.

DumbPilot

Country flag
Interesting
1667278280985.png

1667278265134.png

Did a little bit of manual digging into the Su-27. Apparently the Soviets had their own version of the Link16 in the 1970s(but I think this was just localized to the Flanker series of aircraft, not standardized fleet-wide to support air, ground and naval units).

I wonder if our Su-30MKI uses something like this, connected with AFnet to connect all ground, air and naval units.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles