Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
After S400? Yeah, I'll be surprised if it ever happens (unless it happens in 2050 when F-35 is being phased out).
I take your point, even if IAF start working on procuring F35 or any other 5th gen it would take another 30 years and we may see first 5th gen by 2050

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
what's you smoking , do ever look into single engine deals, for instant example about Filipino F16V deal and the Thailand Gripen deal

if you think other counries too make deal like Indian Rafale, then yes $25-35 billion is correct

If we follow a better terms and negotiations F16 or Gripen deal won't go beyond $20 billion with bells and rings and all other things , (120 fighter jets )
If you dont get rafale you will only multiply logistics cost with another type.The zoo like situation of united nations air force will continue.

Spitfire9

Country flag
I gather that IAF will retire 4 squadrons of MiG-21 by 2025.

What is the schedule for Tejas Mk1A and MWF? Is it

Mk1A
rollout 2022
first flight 2022
production start 2023
first deliveries 2024

MWF
rollout 2022
first flight 2023
production start 2026
first deliveries 2027

So in 2025 there will be 4 less squadrons of MiG-21 but 1 or possibly 2 more squadrons of Tejas (Mk1A version)?

Is an order for another 2 squadrons (or more) of Rafale a given? That and Mk1A would mitigate the reduction in squadron numbers by the mid-2020's, wouldn't it? I guess IAF squadron numbers could start building after that with production of ~24 Mk1A/ MWF a year. Then there is also an additional squadron of MiG-29 in the mix IIRC.

What need is there to order 114 Make in India fighters? Raising MWF production capacity would seem a better alternative to me. Cheaper and better for India's MIC.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I gather that IAF will retire 4 squadrons of MiG-21 by 2025.

What is the schedule for Tejas Mk1A and MWF? Is it

Mk1A
rollout 2022
first flight 2022
production start 2023
first deliveries 2024

MWF
rollout 2022
first flight 2023
production start 2026
first deliveries 2027

So in 2025 there will be 4 less squadrons of MiG-21 but 1 or possibly 2 more squadrons of Tejas (Mk1A version)?

Is an order for another 2 squadrons (or more) of Rafale a given? That and Mk1A would mitigate the reduction in squadron numbers by the mid-2020's, wouldn't it? I guess IAF squadron numbers could start building after that with production of ~24 Mk1A/ MWF a year. Then there is also an additional squadron of MiG-29 in the mix IIRC.

What need is there to order 114 Make in India fighters? Raising MWF production capacity would seem a better alternative to me. Cheaper and better for India's MIC.
One sqd of Sukhoi and one of mig 29 apart from 2 Tejas and add possibly one Mirage 2k sqd ( I am skeptical what will happen here i prefer to use the money for Rafale now instead unless a very cheap deal comes our way)

and two more Rafale F4 which I believe will get by 25/26 . So around 6-7 in pipeline.

And apart from Mig 21s Old Jags will be retired/cannibalized too.

It's a rough estimate and I believe will make sure we retain the current no. of sqd but with improved quality in fighter jets.

Last edited:

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
you will see some shit in the name of AMCA in 2050, and surely its similar like Qahir 313
I think i have deciphered your real photot

@ @ @
@ @ @
@@@@@@@@
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @
@ @ @ @ @ @
@ @ @
@ @ @
@ @ @ @ @ @

@ezsasa plz don't delete this one , this fellow deserve this one

swapcv

Country flag
I think that Indfags should take the better deal offered by the Britfags and the Francfags. At the moment the deal offered by RRfags seems a better proposition than the deal offered by Safranfags.
Inb4 Govt. Apparatchiks kill deals from both RR and Safranfags in the name of Atmanirbhar bharat

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
As per this article what i understood is IAF wants more than 36 rafale . It wants 114 rafale under make in india

Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal V.R. Chaudhari Tuesday strongly pitched for 114 Multi Role Fighter Aircraft (MRFA), under the Make in India initiative, rather than opting for another 36 Rafale fighter jets

The new IAF chief also said that the Service is looking at having 5th generation and even 6th generation technology on board the MRFA in terms of modern weapons and Artificial Intelligence

Sources in the defence and security establishment said that Rafale is likely to be the front runner even if the MRFA competition is held because the IAF is not looking at having multiple types of aircraft.

They said that a final decision would be taken by the government on whether to go in for a direct deal with the French or go with the IAF’s plan with competition for MRFA.

Sources have said that the timeline for the MRFA competition will be much shorter than the one for Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA), since a majority of the aircraft in contention have already undergone various trials in the past.

What are these 6th generation technologies?

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
There are high possibilities UNAF may chose Russi Checkmate Su- 75 for 114 aircrafts. You can't rule out import lobby pimps in IAF and MoD and it qualifies as 5th gen fighter and also cheap to acquire in numbers.
What is UNAF?
If Modi gets reelected in 2024 with majority; Rafale will be the way ahead as Reliance industry plan to setup an venture with Dassault.
If not import lobby will rear its ugly head.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
What is UNAF?
If Modi gets reelected in 2024 with majority; Rafale will be the way ahead as Reliance industry plan to setup an venture with Dassault.
If not import lobby will rear its ugly head.
So Modi getting re-elected in 2024 will automatically fill billions in govt pockets overnight to buy 114 Rafales because reliance plan to set up venture with Dassault? If that so whose stopping modi to order 114 rafales now when chene are knocking the borders? Import lobby is still breathing down the necks it's budget concerns holding us back.

Covfefe

Country flag
The aircraft is so stealthy that it cannot be seen by any device , not even from naked eye.
The air force which operates them doesn't even know of its existence. 🤣
Seriously that 6th gen thing was like Marketing managers talking about "AI-ML" in corporate presentations. I said "AI-ML-IoT", my point is stronger. Here, there is no clue of 5th gen jet, and saheb wants 6th gen technologies in MMRCA

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Seriously that 6th gen thing was like Marketing managers talking about "AI-ML" in corporate presentations. I said "AI-ML-IoT", my point is stronger. Here, there is no clue of 5th gen jet, and saheb wants 6th gen technologies in MMRCA
Why bring IoT to 6th generation fighter? I thought sensor fusion and network-centric capabilities is requirement for 5th generation fighter.

Covfefe

Country flag
Why bring IoT to 6th generation fighter? I thought sensor fusion and network-centric capabilities is requirement for 5th generation fighter.
Arey nahi its a hyperbole to point out the fancy term usage by leadership. What exactly is 6th gen, is not clear to anybody, and India has no idea of its 5th gen fighter jet in terms of timelines. In such a scenario, "5th gen and 6th gen technologies" only create confusion

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
So Modi getting re-elected in 2024 will automatically fill billions in govt pockets overnight to buy 114 Rafales because reliance plan to set up venture with Dassault? If that so whose stopping modi to order 114 rafales now when chene are knocking the borders? Import lobby is still breathing down the necks it's budget concerns holding us back.
whose stopping modi to order 114 rafales now -> You need to a serious look into how international relations and arms purchase work.
when chene are knocking the borders -> PRC is knocking on our border from 1957. No need to panic and make irrational decision.
Import lobby is still breathing down the necks it's budget concerns holding us back. -> Is it a statement or question, in either case couldn't understand what you where trying to convey.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
whose stopping modi to order 114 rafales now -> You need to a serious look into how international relations and arms purchase work.
when chene are knocking the borders -> PRC is knocking on our border from 1957. No need to panic and make irrational decision.
Import lobby is still breathing down the necks it's budget concerns holding us back. -> Is it a statement or question, in either case couldn't understand what you where trying to convey.
What international relation you have to look seriously regarding arms purchase? So If Modi re-elected in 2024 you no need to look into international relations to purchase arms?
Is America arm twisting modi to buy it's junk fighters? Nope.
114 rafales will never happen like Mirage.
No need to panic? so ordering furthur tranches of rafales now is panic but doing so after relected in 2024 is strategic? Baba modi was bloating if he had rafales will do that this to pakis during balakot and now shitting in pants saying koi nai ghusa so what's stopping him ordering more rafales? Or next election winning jumla will be on Rafale re ordering for national interest?
Chinese never amassed so much troops build up at our border even in 1959.
Stop defending this election jumlas and re elected will do that this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles