Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Deathstar

Country flag
Nothing new in the news & no one care because we india lost our pilot life in peace time more then in war , we lost more fighter planes . i dont want to give numbers and names .

What else you except when you have large numbers of outdated junk planes & you will not include new planes ,. IAF & GOVT should be thank to god it didnot fall on public
We lost almost 200 pilots in MiG21 crashes , what a shame

arya

Country flag
GOVT should stop remove air force if they donot have money for new advance fighter planes , let stop this branch & give focus on navy and army let army do the jobs .

No one in govt is listening our IAF , we cancels MMRCA and now MMRCA2 is aslo flip flop , no 5th gen planes

arya

Country flag
We lost almost 200 pilots in MiG21 crashes , what a shame

Shame but why ?? do yout think pilot has any life value , but the condition will be different if 200 MP or MLA . our officers & govt babus are taking high salary and licking govt boots.

sorcerer

Country flag
World’s Largest Fighter Jet Deal Underway as India Starts Process

The evaluation of initial bids and finalising the Air Forces’ requirements has begun, junior defence minister Shripad Naik told lawmakers in Parliament. India is also drafting initial documents to purchase tanks and armoured vehicles, as well as asking foreign shipbuilders to show interest to manufacture submarines in India, he said.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...y-as-india-starts-process-119070400064_1.html

More MiGs...More MiGs!! or French ones

No American war machines as these USAssoles would steal away the CHANCE by delaying critical elements in case of war and drag us onboard for talks instead of fighting a war.

Narasimh

Country flag
GOVT should stop remove air force if they donot have money for new advance fighter planes , let stop this branch & give focus on navy and army let army do the jobs .

No one in govt is listening our IAF , we cancels MMRCA and now MMRCA2 is aslo flip flop , no 5th gen planes
Nice suggestion... "Nothing is better than something"!!

Illusive

Country flag

The evaluation of initial bids and finalising the Air Forces’ requirements has begun, junior defence minister Shripad Naik told lawmakers in Parliament. India is also drafting initial documents to purchase tanks and armoured vehicles, as well as asking foreign shipbuilders to show interest to manufacture submarines in India, he said.

https://www.business-standard.com/a...y-as-india-starts-process-119070400064_1.html

No American war machines as these USAssoles would steal away the CHANCE by delaying critical elements in case of war and drag us onboard for talks instead of fighting a war.
As usual wasting more precious time on deciding, when we should be going for home built Rafale. We have Tejas, mki to be upgraded and in future mwf i.e Tejas mk2.

No 5th gen plane is coming soon so maybe we should look at that instead of these constant evaluation.

Vijyes

As usual wasting more precious time on deciding, when we should be going for home built Rafale. We have Tejas, mki to be upgraded and in future mwf i.e Tejas mk2.

No 5th gen plane is coming soon so maybe we should look at that instead of these constant evaluation.
Do you even know what these evaluation is for? We can't just magically get made in India Rafale. We need France to agree with it. We also need to ensure that France doesn't end up betraying. So all these factors take time

shankyz

Country flag

Paid news by vested defence lobbies.

6 companies showed interest, article mentions only 3 - Boeing, LM, SAAB.

No mention of Dassault, Eurofighter, Russian UAC.

Also dissess Rafale about MMRCA reduced numbers.

Illusive

Country flag
Do you even know what these evaluation is for? We can't just magically get made in India Rafale. We need France to agree with it. We also need to ensure that France doesn't end up betraying. So all these factors take time
So France would Betray their biggest customer ??? We could directly engage them in partnership with a private company which was already ON in mrca 1 with reliance which took friggin more than a decade to decide as evaluation. Dassault was not ready to do it with HAL which started all the problem and not to forget different parties trying to sabotage. Why the heck you need these f16 and grippens again when they were rejected before. And what's the point of taking another different aircraft in inventory when we already have Rafale coming. The problem is also of time, this thing gonna go for another decade.

Evaluation ke paper ka achaar bana lena phir.

sorcerer

Country flag
Paid news by vested defence lobbies.

6 companies showed interest, article mentions only 3 - Boeing, LM, SAAB.

No mention of Dassault, Eurofighter, Russian UAC.

Also dissess Rafale about MMRCA reduced numbers.
Also we are looking at procuring the Migs from Russia which are half finished..I think the number is 36 or something.
The sources went silent after the initial talk about it and our personnel visiting Russia to finalize it.

Vijyes

So France would Betray their biggest customer ??? We could directly engage them in partnership with a private company which was already ON in mrca 1 with reliance which took friggin more than a decade to decide as evaluation. Dassault was not ready to do it with HAL which started all the problem and not to forget different parties trying to sabotage. Why the heck you need these f16 and grippens again when they were rejected before. And what's the point of taking another different aircraft in inventory when we already have Rafale coming. The problem is also of time, this thing gonna go for another decade.

Evaluation ke paper ka achaar bana lena phir.
Stop ranting like a girl. You speak as if you know everything. How do you know thT France won't betray India? India is not asking merely for planes but made in India planes with 100% indigenisation.

So, there is no question if setting up of assembly lines with a private company. The question is about whether France is willing to give India the needed Technology so that India can make Rafale fully indigenously without French imports in future.

Why would someone with a sane mind think that France would readily allow 100% indigenisation? After France allows this, India will no longer need anything from France in future. So, there is bound to be significant bargaining.

Illusive

Country flag
Stop ranting like a girl. You speak as if you know everything. How do you know thT France won't betray India? India is not asking merely for planes but made in India planes with 100% indigenisation.

So, there is no question if setting up of assembly lines with a private company. The question is about whether France is willing to give India the needed Technology so that India can make Rafale fully indigenously without French imports in future.

Why would someone with a sane mind think that France would readily allow 100% indigenisation? After France allows this, India will no longer need anything from France in future. So, there is bound to be significant bargaining.
There has to be a way in future to make this forum idiot proof so that we don't have deal with this. Please don't quote me unnecessarily if you keep writing non sense without understanding what was written.

Vijyes

There has to be a way in future to make this forum idiot proof so that we don't have deal with this. Please don't quote me unnecessarily if you keep writing non sense without understanding what was written.
Let me see what you had to say and analyse-

So France would Betray their biggest customer ??? We could directly engage them in partnership with a private company which was already ON in mrca 1 with reliance which took friggin more than a decade to decide as evaluation.
We didn't take 1 decade to evaluate. The UPA deal was scrapped and the new deal was negotiated in 2 years. Also, DRAL as of now doesn't produce critical parts like avionics, radar, engine etc. We have no guarantee that France will not make DRAL just another assembly line. The question about radar, avionics and engine is the real source of doubt.

Dassault was not ready to do it with HAL which started all the problem and not to forget different parties trying to
sabotage.
Even the HAL part was just assembly. Moreover, my concern is for Snecma engine and RBE2 radar. Dassault is just an integrator. The JV with HAL was not including any of the Technology and hence just screw driver job.

Why the heck you need these f16 and grippens again when they were rejected before. And what's the point of taking another different aircraft in inventory when we already have Rafale coming. The problem is also of time, this thing gonna go for another decade.
I never said that I need F16 or Gripen. I only need Technology. There is no desperate need to get any plane just for numbers. If none offers Technology, it is best to continue with Su30 and MWF. We already have Su30 Technology and hence don't need to be desperate for another plane. If we get another plane with full indigenisation,it is good. Else it is unnecessary.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Let me see what you had to say and analyse-

We didn't take 1 decade to evaluate. The UPA deal was scrapped and the new deal was negotiated in 2 years. Also, DRAL as of now doesn't produce critical parts like avionics, radar, engine etc. We have no guarantee that France will not make DRAL just another assembly line. The question about radar, avionics and engine is the real source of doubt.

Even the HAL part was just assembly. Moreover, my concern is for Snecma engine and RBE2 radar. Dassault is just an integrator. The JV with HAL was not including any of the Technology and hence just screw driver job.

I never said that I need F16 or Gripen. I only need Technology. There is no desperate need to get any plane just for numbers. If none offers Technology, it is best to continue with Su30 and MWF. We already have Su30 Technology and hence don't need to be desperate for another plane. If we get another plane with full indigenisation,it is good. Else it is unnecessary.
If we buy Gripen, Tejas MK 2 dies. If we buy F 16, we buy a plane which is being replaced by F 35 by USAF.

Thus we should continue to buy Rafale under 114 MWF deal and develop Tejas MK 2.

Additional orders of Su 30MKI are excellent along with the MiG 29UPGs we are buying.

Vijyes

If we buy Gripen, Tejas MK 2 dies. If we buy F 16, we buy a plane which is being replaced by F 35 by USAF.

Thus we should continue to buy Rafale under 114 MWF deal and develop Tejas MK 2.

Additional orders of Su 30MKI are excellent along with the MiG 29UPGs we are buying.
Gripen E is not even flying. How can it be bought at all? SAAB doesn't even have its own radar, engine, avionics and FBW codes. It is ruled out.

F16 can be bought. Even if it is replaced by F35, it is irrelevant. We want our strategic needs met. Whether other countries replace it has nothing to do. But the condition of technology transfer is the problem. USA doesn't allow Technology transfer.

There are other options like MiG35, Su35 etc which can be made in India by Russian cooperation. Russia has given is Su30 and may give MiG35 or Su35 too.

Thus we should continue to buy Rafale under 114 MWF deal and develop Tejas MK 2
Why should India buy Rafale at all if there is no 100% indigenisation? It will be another imported junk. Foreign planes are for foreign country to fight. So, simply buying Rafale without France guaranteeing Technology transfer will be foolish.

Rafale is only good to have, not a must to have. We can order Su30 in 114 number instead of Rafale and simply get rid of Rafale altogether.

As of now, India has enough money and forex and hence considers it safe bet to get an additional plane design without spending much time by simply buying if France is willing to sell. But we don't knw if France is is willing to sell or will backstab after getting the Money

Illusive

Country flag
The airforce is in dire needs to replace our old aircrafts. Low on squadron strength. So we need aircrafts asap. We have limited mk1 orders and mki won't cut it. MWF, well let the prototype come out 1st.

Indigenization programe is going well. We already made 4th gen aircraft and meantime developing assets that's part of the pipeline.

The engine department needs colab were naturally no one wants to share it completely.

The crux here though is when we should be negotiating directly with france instead of wasting time evaluating other planes which are useless anyways. We need planes urgently that's the most important thing right now and I don't see mki filling rafales roles.

Even upgradation if mki haven't started. We are in a bad situation right now and we are wasting previous time.

Vijyes

The crux here though is when we should be negotiating directly with france instead of wasting time evaluating other planes which are useless anyways. We need planes urgently that's the most important thing right now and I don't see mki filling rafales roles.
This is pure assumption. W are negotiating with everyone. We can't just hope that France agrees

Even upgradation if mki haven't started. We are in a bad situation right now and we are wasting previous time
What do you mean by bad situation? What is wrong with current MKI? They are working fine. No need to exaggerate.
The engine department needs colab were naturally no one wants to share it completely.
Why it is natural to need collaboration? Did France have collaboration? India can replicate what France did in 1980s. No need to exaggerate. All that India needs now is time.

Illusive

Country flag
What do you mean by bad situation? What is wrong with current MKI? They are working fine. No need to exaggerate.

No need to exaggerate. All that India needs now is time.
Let's see what mine and airforce chiefs "assumptions" are.

Rafale is a gamechanger, Indian Air Force needs it: IAF Chief BS Dhanoa

Air chief backs Rafale deal, says IAF badly needs the fighter jets

Drawing attention to the depleting fighter strength of the IAF from the sanctioned strength of 42 squadrons to 31, the Air Chief said China and Pakistan were rapidly modernising their Air Forces and were not “sitting idle”.

“We have to match the force level of our adversaries so that we can fight simultaneously on two fronts … Even when we do have 42 squadrons, we will be below the combined numbers of two of our regional adversaries,” he said

Vijyes

That is just political posturing. IMO, we have struck a deal with France for full indigenised Rafale including engine (most likely Kaveri engine fitted in Rafale). Bit we are not sure whether France will follow through or pretend and cause Delays. So, this is where we are stuck. We can't pay France anything unless we are sure that France can't betray. There is no other way than waiting to check how France first fulfills its 36 order for Rafales

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles