Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
OFB makes T-72 125mm gun for sure. T-90 gun was getting imported few years back but current status is not known to me. May be OFB learnt how to make T-90 gun too.

Arjun 120mm rifled gun is also made by OFB.

PKT MG and ammo is definitely local.
Then why do not they list it under category of Arms and ammunition of OFB ?

Secondly, these must be "Under Licence Production" with conditions attached.

There definetly is some hitch in gun technology ?

Otherwise make four 30mm cannon, fit those on BPM2 turrets and make an AD system out of that with a tracking and fire control radar incorporated.
Then why to buy that Kanwa system ?

Advaidhya Tiwari

Otherwise make four 30mm cannon, fit those on BPM2 turrets and make an AD system out of that with a tracking and fire control radar incorporated.
That is a million dollar question. India has modified 30mm gun into Naval gun CRN91 in addition to being BMP2 Sarath gun. If India could make CRN91, why it can't make air defence gun? May be Korea also offered some technology for the missile used in Biho K30. It would give India technology quickly for making VSHORAD missiles if the technology is transferred

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
For anything to be developed army has to come up with the requirements to the drdo/ Indian industry 4-5 years ahead.
Ex,: this biho type self propelled anti artillery system would have been developed if ia came up with firm requirements by 2014-15. It could have been on an Arjun chassis or a bmp.
Right now the situation is army is unilaterally coming up with requirements and wants instant procurement. Hence nothing can be developed in time and import is the only option. Even if something is developed within the procurement timeframe the army will make sure it undergoes rigorous trials in all weather conditions something the imported products are not made to undergo.
Atlast the emergency purchase clause have given the army another shot in the arm to go for fully imported products at exorbitant rates.

bhramos

Country flag
Ex #BullStrike - Indian Armed Forces showcased their joint ops capability by undertaking company level airborne operation at Teressa Island, Andaman & Nicobar. On 09 May 19, 170 troops from the three services undertook para drop ops in a Combat Free Fall & Static Line mode.

bhramos

Country flag
Wg Cdr Abhinandan Varthaman’s unit is using new patch showcasing his bravery by calling itself the ‘Falcon Slayer’ for striking down a Pak F-16 during Feb 27 aerial battle. Unit also calls itself AMRAAM dodgers as MiG-21 evaded 4-5 AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles fired by Pakistani F-16

bhramos

Country flag
Wg Cdr Abhinandan Varthaman’s unit is using new patch showcasing his bravery by calling itself the ‘Falcon Slayer’ for striking down a Pak F-16 during Feb 27 aerial battle. Unit also calls itself AMRAAM dodgers as MiG-21 evaded 4-5 AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles fired by Pakistani F-16

Indian and Pakistani Squadrons getting into a Squadron overall patch war it seems. This is the Paki response to the Abhinandan badge

garg_bharat

Country flag
Then why do not they list it under category of Arms and ammunition of OFB ?

Secondly, these must be "Under Licence Production" with conditions attached.

There definetly is some hitch in gun technology ?

I believe OFB website is not properly updated. Many things may be missing from website.

30mm BMP gun is made in Medak and its naval version is made in Medak as well. 30mm CRN91 gun is a radar directed gun with some anti-aircraft capability.

The South Korea BIHO is right buy. Many things can be done but not done. Now there is no time for worrying about that.

T-72 gun and T-55 guns were made in India. There were issues with T-90 gun (I guess tech transfer was late and some metallurgy issues). Could have been resolved. But OFB is very slow. The numbers from OFB is a perennial problem. I think there may be heavy import in near term as our Military is on track to modernize.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe OFB website is not properly updated. Many things may be missing from website.

30mm BMP gun is made in Medak and its naval version is made in Medak as well. 30mm CRN91 gun is a radar directed gun with some anti-aircraft capability.

The South Korea BIHO is right buy. Many things can be done but not done. Now there is no time for worrying about that.

T-72 gun and T-55 guns were made in India. There were issues with T-90 gun (I guess tech transfer was late and some metallurgy issues). Could have been resolved. But OFB is very slow. The numbers from OFB is a perennial problem. I think there may be heavy import in near term as our Military is on track to modernize.
If they have a BMP-II hull and turret, 30mm "Mendak" Cannon, a radar and self bursting 30mm ammunition, why can not they make one Biho type AD system ? Is it necessary for IA to issue an RFP for everything for OFB slumber to be shaken ?

If they have R&D budget, surplus made by supplying overcharged ammunition, their R&D division and lastly if they are an industry on their own accord, why can not they make a weapon system for international market. Let them sell their products to Pakistan including self initiating ammunition. They can create something in similar manner as they created many secretary and additional Secretary level posts for Indian Ordinance Factory Service.

WolfPack86

Country flag
IAF successfully test-fires anti-tank guided Bomb

The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully test fired 1,000 pound (450kg) Smart Anti-Tank guided bomb CBU-105 through upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft at Pokhran Test Firing Range in Jaisalmer on Sunday. The bomb successfully destroyed a dummy enemy tank brigade target.
During the test firing the officials of American production company, Textron Defence System and senior officials of Indian Air Force were present to observe the accuracy of the guided bomb. During test firing two upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft dropped guided bomb from air on dummy targets and successfully destroyed group of dummy tanks.

Defence sources said that CBU-105 is a sensor fused weapon of 1,000 pound (450Kg) which is dropped with the help of GPS. The best part of the weapon is that it can be used during day or night and even in adverse weather conditions. In 2010 the Indian government placed an order of 512 bombs which were delivered by company. To use them the Jaguar fighter aircraft were upgraded with new Drain III Navigation and Combat system. Upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft can carry 4-6 sensor fused bomb (CBU-105) on enemy targets.

Source said that upgraded Jaguar have new Drain -III navigation and combat system and now will get Smart CBU-105 sensor fused weapons procured from the USA. Now upgraded Jaguar will be termed as Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft. With this Jaguar can destroy surface targets like terrorist camps, airbases and warships with its onboard weaponries including new generation laser guided bombs and Lethal Textron CBU-105 sensor fused weapon.

Source said that SFW are unique and deadly weapons. Initially SFW were developed as cluster bomb units-97 which were unguided and quite inaccurate whenever released from high altitude. It was modified and improved version is CBU -105 equipped with GPS and tail guidance fins, which made it very accurate precision guided munition (PGM).
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Sameer khan

India is my nation, I cherish my nation and I am glad for its rich and differed legacy. I will dependably endeavor to be deserving of it. To my nation and my kin, I promise my dedication. In their prosperity and thriving alone, lies my joy. JAI HIND!

We are from Aashi Holidays Jaipur, leading Taxi and Cab service Provider Company in Jaipur, Rajasthan

Jaipur Sightseeing Taxi

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
B
India is my nation, I cherish my nation and I am glad for its rich and differed legacy. I will dependably endeavor to be deserving of it. To my nation and my kin, I promise my dedication. In their prosperity and thriving alone, lies my joy. JAI HIND!

We are from Aashi Holidays Jaipur, leading Taxi and Cab service Provider Company in Jaipur, Rajasthan

Jaipur Sightseeing Taxi
Ban this guy he is spammer
Promoting his company here

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
IAF successfully test-fires anti-tank guided Bomb

The Indian Air Force (IAF) successfully test fired 1,000 pound (450kg) Smart Anti-Tank guided bomb CBU-105 through upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft at Pokhran Test Firing Range in Jaisalmer on Sunday. The bomb successfully destroyed a dummy enemy tank brigade target.
During the test firing the officials of American production company, Textron Defence System and senior officials of Indian Air Force were present to observe the accuracy of the guided bomb. During test firing two upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft dropped guided bomb from air on dummy targets and successfully destroyed group of dummy tanks.

Defence sources said that CBU-105 is a sensor fused weapon of 1,000 pound (450Kg) which is dropped with the help of GPS. The best part of the weapon is that it can be used during day or night and even in adverse weather conditions. In 2010 the Indian government placed an order of 512 bombs which were delivered by company. To use them the Jaguar fighter aircraft were upgraded with new Drain III Navigation and Combat system. Upgraded Jaguar fighter aircraft can carry 4-6 sensor fused bomb (CBU-105) on enemy targets.

Source said that upgraded Jaguar have new Drain -III navigation and combat system and now will get Smart CBU-105 sensor fused weapons procured from the USA. Now upgraded Jaguar will be termed as Deep Penetration Strike Aircraft. With this Jaguar can destroy surface targets like terrorist camps, airbases and warships with its onboard weaponries including new generation laser guided bombs and Lethal Textron CBU-105 sensor fused weapon.

Source said that SFW are unique and deadly weapons. Initially SFW were developed as cluster bomb units-97 which were unguided and quite inaccurate whenever released from high altitude. It was modified and improved version is CBU -105 equipped with GPS and tail guidance fins, which made it very accurate precision guided munition (PGM).
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal
They call it Smart Anti Tank guided bomb !
It will be fired by a fighter / bomber ! Jaguar to be precise which can carry 4-6 bombs.
It is sensor fuzed bomb!
It weighs 1000 lbs (450 kg).
Cost is not indicated but one can take it as about 20 lakh dollars per piece.

Questions
A country which does not have a basic MPATGM goes for killing tanks with jaguars ?
Does one require 450 bomb to destroy a tank ?
What will be the cost of a bomb after delivery > Cost of bomb + Cost of sortie + cost of aircarft if it is hit and destroyed.
A country which can not develop a proper ALH / LCH want to use Jaguar for hunting tanks.
How far ahead of FEBA should a tank be destroyed ? Not in Peshawar certainly? Say maximum 10 km from FEBA. Does one required such weapon system for it when a Hellfire can do it?

This what exactly happens when one fails to make an A/Tk missile for thirty years and blocks Spikes, Javelins and others in the name of non existing NAG. Then out of desperation you throw 450 kg on an advancing tank using billion dollar aircrafts?

Pathetic I suppose. Call it Balakot bomb so that it sells better

I am reminded of the book titled "Arming without Aiming". That is what it is.

Last edited:

shiphone

Country flag
CBU-105 is a cluster munition with 40 sensor fuzed bomb/ terminal sensitive projectile...
a typical area target killing weapon(against group of tank, vehicles with infrared signature ) with a smart dispenser and smart projectiles...it's a very efficient weapon against specific targets in specific battle scenario

so I think it is the complementary relations with those you mentioned weapon systems . you need them all. and this is a mature American munition.

try the keyword "terminal sensitive projectile" to learn a little more...

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
They call it Smart Anti Tank guided bomb !
It will be fired by a fighter / bomber ! Jaguar to be precise which can carry 4-6 bombs.
It is sensor fuzed bomb!
It weighs 1000 lbs (450 kg).
Cost is not indicated but one can take it as about 20 lakh dollars per piece.

Questions
A country which does not have a basic MPATGM goes for killing tanks with jaguars ?
Does one require 450 bomb to destroy a tank ?
What will be the cost of a bomb after delivery > Cost of bomb + Cost of sortie + cost of aircarft if it is hit and destroyed.
A country which can not develop a proper ALH / LCH want to use Jaguar for hunting tanks.
How far ahead of FEBA should a tank be destroyed ? Not in Peshawar certainly? Say maximum 10 km from FEBA. Does one required such weapon system for it when a Hellfire can do it?

This what exactly happens when one fails to make an A/Tk missile for thirty years and blocks Spikes, Javelins and others in the name of non existing NAG. Then out of desperation you throw 450 kg on an advancing tank using billion dollar aircrafts?

Pathetic I suppose. Call it Balakot bomb so that it sells better

I am reminded of the book titled "Arming without Aiming". That is what it is.
If it weights 450 kg. Even lca can carry 6 with 2*r73 CCM and center line drop tank.
So does mirage and so does mig29upg.

ALH weaponised version Rudra is in service.
Lch is under lsp production.

Attack aircrafts have been using rocket pods and cluster bombs since eternity. Idea is not to just blow up the tank but also to destroy tank formation and disturb whatever planning the enemy had.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
CBU-105 is a cluster munition with 40 sensor fuzed bomb/ terminal sensitive projectile...
a typical area target killing weapon(against group of tank, vehicles with infrared signature ) with a smart dispenser and smart projectiles...it's a very efficient weapon against specific targets in specific battle scenario

so I think it is the complementary relations with those you mentioned weapon systems . you need them all. and this is a mature American munition.

try the keyword "terminal sensitive projectile" to learn a little more...

Thanks.

Then it is alright, I mistook it for a single warhead weapon system. A 1000 lbs can only be carried by a fighter aircraft.

However gaps of ground based ATk can not be covered by any other weapon.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles