India-China Border conflict

The Shrike

Country flag
chicken neck is a choke point as its only 23 km wide at its narrowest point . if it gets blocked then north east gets "cut off "

only thing is , its impossible for PLA to get there . only way to get to it is through sikkim or their chumbi valley which itself is a choke point . if they try it , they will get blown into million peices.

maybe they can sit in chumbi valley and fire some rockets at it , blocking the road or something , but even that sounds stupid.
The Chickens neck area does present some challenges - over and above the narrowness of the land itself, for example multiple roughly north south oriented rivers that cut this strip of land. And large chunks of NE get flooded/road and rail get washed away every monsoon. Then there is the demographics of the area (“0.5 front”) that can also be leveraged by the adversary.
Never the less any actual attempt by the Chinese will be an extremely high risk gamble, but then so is invading Taiwan. But hey how many people have imagined Russia would actually attempt a thunder run to Kiev etc and try to capture most of Ukraine. And if the Chinese do want to "teach us a lesson" that would keep us quite for another 50 years, a small salami slice won’t do.
Added: IIRC the Army recently conducted an exercise which was training for a scenario in which PLA airborne troops land in the Siliguri corridor (unless I’m misremembering it).

The Shrike

Country flag

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Country flag
The Chickens neck area does present some challenges - over and above the narrowness of the land itself, for example multiple roughly north south oriented rivers that cut this strip of land. And large chunks of NE get flooded/road and rail get washed away every monsoon. Then there is the demographics of the area (“0.5 front”) that can also be leveraged by the adversary.
Never the less any actual attempt by the Chinese will be an extremely high risk gamble, but then so is invading Taiwan. But hey how many people have imagined Russia would actually attempt a thunder run to Kiev etc and try to capture most of Ukraine. And if the Chinese do want to "teach us a lesson" that would keep us quite for another 50 years, a small salami slice won’t do.
Added: IIRC the Army recently conducted an exercise which was training for a scenario in which PLA airborne troops land in the Siliguri corridor (unless I’m misremembering it).
Rivers -> Yes, I assume the Chinese will try to take the bridges out, however, all of them are actually shallow and only have enough water to be a hurdle in monsoon.

Flooding -> No flooding in Chicken's neck area ever, flooding is only in Brahmaputra flood plains in Assam.

0.5 Front -> Unlikely (demographics is not supportive).

Yall we have set up a ad hoc field hospital in ladakh about 3 months ago.

Where is this leading to?? @mist_consecutive @mokoman any idea what's happening near the border??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...l-facility-at-galwan/article65623474.ece/amp/
20 bed ? Is this some kind of joke ? Should be at least 100 bed, and yes, as @The Shrike said, why isn't it already in place for the last 2 years ?

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
wow .. It better not to have any investment from China . If thats in india , what they might be doing in small countries .

Lot of money from our own country's people goes into the hands of Chinese brands. We need to promote our own brands so that all the money stays in the country itself.

These Chinese companies will keep doing their businesses in India by selling Different goods/Stuff at cheap prices. We should give more preference to our own Indian brands.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Lot of money from our own country's people goes into the hands of Chinese brands. We need to promote our own brands so that all the money stays in the country itself.

These Chinese companies will keep doing their businesses in India by selling Different goods/Stuff at cheap prices. We should give more preference to our own Indian brands.
From fountain pens to mobile phones
We need indian brands with Indian subcomponents

Blademaster

We need to impose anti-dumping taxes on Chinese brands.

mokoman

Country flag
IMHO if they manage to reach the corridor , it means we lost the 2nd india-china war too . siliguri corridor is 100km from china , Chinese need to go across over himalayas , through narrow valleys then come into indian plains .

eastern ukraine compared to us is chapathi flat land , russians approached kyiv from multiple directions and still couldnt enter it.

👀 still , army seem to be preparing for even that possibility . exercise u mentioned , IA paratroopers exercise near the corridor.

"The exercise involved advanced free-fall techniques; insertion, surveillance, targeting practice, and seizing of key objectives by going behind enemy lines: Indian Army officials"

Super Flanker

Country flag
From fountain pens to mobile phones
We need indian brands with Indian subcomponents
See bro, we already have Indian brands here in our country which produce Stuff like Smart phones items etc but the issue is that most every day people buy Chinese goods over Indian.

Why? In my opinion, the answer is simple, its because they are cheaper than Indian ones and some of us like cheap over quality.

Coming to stationary items like pens, we already have our own Indian brands like Cello, natraj etc which produce pens (Ball/Gel etc). Whenever I visit any local stationary shop than these are the brands which are present, I have personally never bought or come across any Chinese stationary brands.

So I would say that in terms of stationary, Indian brands have already defeated their Chinese Counter-parts in terms of sales.

But we need to improve our market of smartphones, Chinese companies have clear edge over Indian counter parts. Hope we will one day see our own Indian smart phones instead of Chinese in our people's Hand.

Blademaster

Could you please explain the term "Anti Dumping taxes". Thank you in advance.
Duties on imported goods. Under the free trade act you are not supposed to have duties on imported goods unless agreed to. Exceptions are made when goods are dumped into a market for below price and is subsidized by the manufacturing country and that country needs to find new markets to dump the goods. It depresses the market forces and provides an unfair advantage to the company who received massive subsidies to produce such goods or is trying to corner the market and turn it into a monopoly.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Is these pens (we used to call it Chinese pens) still available in market? I remember writing with these pens at school.
See what iam trying to say has nothing to do with pens in specific but a general trend
Indians manufactured fountain pens for 8 decades, before lpg took over the economy in 90s , before that government made such regulations that big pen companies like wilson , pilot india etc were protected but later on could not compete .
These cottage industries were given more importance in this sector , there was a big import duty on foreign made fountain pens before 80s .
As a result , in the market you have nations like Turkey and Taiwan with their twasbi and srickass brand but not old and established indian brand.
Same for electronics also

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Is these pens (we used to call it Chinese pens) still available in market? I remember writing with these pens at school.
Depends where you live , here in Bombay
Every good stationer keeps them even today.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I remember coming across such pens in my local stationary shops/stores. I used them very few times because these type of pens were very expensive as compared to normal gel/ball pens. (1 such pen cost as much as 5 gel pens!) Nowdays I only buy Indian Brand Ball pens. I don't use gel pens now anymore.

prasadr14

PrasadReddy
Than what we need to do is "BETTER MARKETING!". But unfortunately I feel like Chinese smartphones will still have an edge over Indian brands for quite some time. Leave aside Indian brands bruh, in my Locality, here in Goa, I sometimes feel like everyone uses Chinese phones.

Even Samsung, Apple, Nokia etc type non Indian foreign Brands are not as popular as chinki ones. And lastly, I have noticed one thing which is that labourer class type low earning people buy mostly Chinese brand phones. I guess for these people, Chinese smartphones are the only ones fitting their budget and hence they mostly buy it. I am not saying that everyone in laboure classes/Low income earning people buy only Chinese smartphones etc, I am saying that they mostly give preference to Chinese smartphones because of their price. One of the biggest selling points for these Chinki mobiles is their competitive price.
Things can quickly change, all it takes is a willing govt to screw these companies.

China itself is a great example of how this can be done since they do this all the time.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Things can quickly change, all it takes is a willing govt to screw these companies.

China itself is a great example of how this can be done since they do this all the time.
We need to invest more in R&D of such Stuff (Gadgets like Mobiles, Laptops etc). Chinese phones are ahead of Indian Counter-parts in terms of specs if I am not wrong.

We can still do this even now. We need to plan everything properly. With systematic planning and approach, we can achieve our goals.

Angel of War

Country flag
Chicken neck is a known choke point and if push comes to shove, will IA/IAF cut through northern Bangladesh with or without their consent? I suspect Raqibools will object to it, but experts on the forum, any thoughts?
If Bangladesh denies transit to india in the critical time then it won't be difficult to secure a safe passage for our troops in their northern regions by using Military force. All we can expect from them is passive resistance. We won't be needing to do that tho , there is no realistic way for china to cut off siliguri corridor

Angel of War

Country flag
In 1962 they had a deliberate logistic chain where they employed thousands of civilians to feed their soldiers, provide equipment, spares, etc etc, whereas Indian soldiers weren’t even prepared for winter and were under stocked on ammunition.

Logistics Is the key to winning here. I keep on saying this.
What you said is pretty much true. Even the current chinese strategy rests on large scale mobilisation of troops at the point of contention using superior logistics infrastructure. Normally they keep very little forces opposite LAC most of which are border defense units and paramilitary units filled with conscripts but when there is a crisis they bring in forces from Xinjiang , chengdu, xining , lhasha, to put pressure on opposing forces. This has been the case for a very long time now and the same trend was observed before 2015 PLA reforms. Even before the reforms PLA's chengdu garrison maintained 6 Rapid Reaction Divisions meant to be quickly deployed to important flash points and reinforce PLA forces in Southeastern and central regions of tibet against indian army's eastern command.

Articles