India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

daya

Country flag
This may be slightly OT, but after seeing how much drama majority of students are creating on social media to postpone JEE/NEET exam due to covid and threatening to not vote for BJP, does this country has stomach for War?
Do we have ability to absorb loss of life in war considering that we can't hide casualties like our neighbours?
Please don't take me otherwise. Agar sau saal pahle internet, facebook aur whatsapp hota aur hamare log itna padhe likhe hote to yakeen maniye ki aaj bhi angrej hamare chootadon par laathi maar rahe hote. Ham log aajaad huye to kewal isliye ki log anpadh the, bina kuchh soche samjhe apne leaders ki awaj par uthkar chal dete the, koi ye nahi puchhta tha ki angrejon par hamla kyu karna hai, unka virodh kya karna hai..
Aajkal jaise log hote to bolte...
1-Angrejon ne badhiya buildings banai hain, hamare ancestors ne kya banaya hai? 2-Pahle reservation fix karo jaat ke hisab se uske baad baat karna. 3-dullit aur minority ko angrejon se ladakar khatm karne ki saajish hai... 4-Angrejon ka kaam hai shasan karna.. 5. Angrejon ko tajurba hai logo par raj karne ka. bla bla...

Knowitall

Yup,Radar is going to cost about $1 billion with another $1 billion going towards the purchase of the platform, in this case Russian A-50 aircraft.
Since I don't know about the procurement process I can't say much but the Deal is too costly.

How I wish we should have simply removed the blacklist and produced more netra or gone for AWACS on c-295. Infact wasn't the company on sale and former HAL chairman requested the govt to buy it?

Also A-50 has spares problems too.

Cactus09

Country flag
Guys,Does this make sense?Could we get better deal then this one?

Federation of American scientists have termed Elta 2090 as best and among the most advanced awacs radars. And this one is an improvement over the 2090. Still looks expensive though.

LDev

Country flag
Since I don't know about the procurement process I can't say much but the Deal is too costly.

How I wish we should have simply removed the blacklist and produced more netra or gone for AWACS on c-295. Infact wasn't the company on sale and former HAL chairman requested the govt to buy it?

Also A-50 has spares problems too.
The Boeing E-7 Wedgetail which he mentioned in the tweet cost the Royal Air Force $2 billion for 5 systems. Plus Boeing assumes all the headaches of integration. Plus the Wedgetail is mounted on a Boeing 737 so common spare parts and logistics with the IN P-8. But Indian MOD loves to make life more complicated. Don't they remember the fiasco the last time around this happened in 2009? The IL-76s were delivered late and then there were issues about responsibility as regards airframe integrity after the structural modifications were made. The Israelis and Russians were both passing the buck to each other while the IAF waited twiddling it's thumbs.. And the platform itself is sub-optimal. While on the one hand the IAF does not want anymore IL-76s either as airlifters or tankers, lo and behold they go and get the IL-76 to mount it's most significant airborne asset!!

vishnugupt

Country flag
what happened to DRDO AEW&CS ??? Have IAF inducted all 3 ?? any follow up orders??

LDev

Country flag
That is just an absurd price. Anyway you try to justify.
The huge increase in price compared to the previous deal is the main reason this deal has been delayed. See below is an excerpt from a linked article, dated Sept 2017:

"The main reason behind the steep jump in the price is the almost three-fold increase in the price of the IL-76 planes, on which the radars have to be mounted," sources said. It was earlier expected that the deal would be clinched at the time of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Israel earlier this year, but it could not be completed."

But it looks like now the Ladakh standoff has made MOD/IAF bite the bullet and give in to the extortionate price demand for the IL-76 airframe.

India's Plan to Buy Two AWACS from Israel, Russia Stalled Citing Price Hike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles