India-China 2020 Border Dispute - Military and Strategic Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhurki

At this point i'm hoping that we may have some grand strategy to just overwhelm them with softpower and make them join us (its not working obviously but even the existence of such a strat would give me some hope) . Chinese offers some money and easily buys everyone and here Nepal's entire existence depends upon decisions made in New Delhi yet they bite us at every opportunity they get.
Overwhelming softpower....
What such power does India have that it can exercise over China? Other than the ones that have already been exercised.

The event of 2015 blockade severely woke up Nepal, and you see extended infrastructure projects with China starting up now. Nepal is actuely aware of its dependance on India, but it used to be a non issue before 2015. After 2015 however, the increasing tendency of China to give soft loans and Nepalese tendency to get out of chokehold of India got mutually satisfied.
A new railway project was just revived last week.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I will say this is oversimplifying things by a huge margin.

The history of coups done by the US the attacks the conversion of mexico into a broken country using military force to support their own companies.

You might have heard about the famous UFC incident in guatemala.

They have done a lot to convert their neighborhood into their backyard.
sure I may be over simplifying it, but fundamentals remain the same.

Guatemala is a different country south of the Mexico. part of the banana republics.

======
For other members:

In case anyone is interested in how the term banana republic was created.

there are more detailed documentaries than this one, incase you are interested.

garg_bharat

Country flag
At this point i'm hoping that we may have some grand strategy to just overwhelm them with softpower and make them join us (its not working obviously but even the existence of such a strat would give me some hope) . Chinese offers some money and easily buys everyone and here Nepal's entire existence depends upon decisions made in New Delhi yet they bite us at every opportunity they get.
Boss India failed in economic integration of neighbours. Economic integration of Nepal should have happened long back.

Not much can be done in the short run. People's opinion does not change overnight.

Bangladesh is affected by a resurgence of Islamism worldwide.

India itself is suffering from bad management of economy and defence for 50+ years. I think we shall have some tough years ahead.

Knowitall

sure I may be over simplifying it, but fundamentals remain the same.

Guatemala is a different country south of the Mexico. part of the banana republics.

======
For other members:

In case anyone is interested in how the term banana republic was created.

there are more detailed documentaries than this one, incase you are interested.
I mean USA considered the whole of americas (both north and south as countries that shall only be under their influence).

The monroe doctrine was basically that they were ready to fight with europe if they had too.

Knowitall

Close combat is so last century. China will use drones, PGMs, high-end tech against India

It seems china is also using the print another one of their new weapons.

I can never understand print some of their articles are actually good some are pro gov some are anti I have just come to the conclusion that they tend to push a certain narrative under the guise of being unbiased.

Bhurki

It seems china is also using the print another one of their new weapons.

I can never understand print some of their articles are actually good some are pro gov some are anti I have just come to the conclusion that they tend to push a certain narrative under the guise of being unbiased.
Why is there a need to go after the publisher?
Just critique the content. If its stupid, call it stupid, albeit with reasons.

Synergy

Country flag
Read carefully. Don't jump the gun.....

View attachment 56158

Weimer Constitution of Germany. The Nazis used the emergency provisions of this very Constitution fully to consolidate it's hold over Germany.

View attachment 56159

Article 19 - Relating to Freedom of Speech and Expression.

Article 359 - Suspension of the entire gamut of Fundamental Rights (Part-3) enshrined in our Constitution.

Article 20 - Protection in respect of Conviction for Offences.

Article 21 - Protection of Life and Personal Liberty.

If Art. 359 gets enforced somehow, Art. 20 and Art. 21 gets suspended too. The entire national machinery and the Constitution of India acquires a unitary character then.
Art 20 and Art 21 can never be suspended. those are sacrosanct. each and every other FR may get suspended.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Then whats stopping us from doing the same with Nepalis aren't they dependant on us?
Does US allow citizens of neighbouring countries to apply for postions in govt institutions ? Really are we that brain dead or just scared to apply pressure?
obviously it can happen, it might take some years. Indian economy has to grow a bit more, 400 lakh crore GDP perhaps, purchasing power of India needs to grow.

Illusive

Country flag

Brood Father

Country flag
Overwhelming softpower....
What such power does India have that it can exercise over China? Other than the ones that have already been exercised.

The event of 2015 blockade severely woke up Nepal, and you see extended infrastructure projects with China starting up now. Nepal is actuely aware of its dependance on India, but it used to be a non issue before 2015. After 2015 however, the increasing tendency of China to give soft loans and Nepalese tendency to get out of chokehold of India got mutually satisfied.
A new railway project was just revived last week.
Yes, I think old playbook for Nepal is not working and we are in desperate need of new form of diplomacy but I don't think so that our 1900 century diplomatic babus are capable
We need some out of the box thinking on this or else we would lose strategic asset

Bhurki

obviously it can happen, it might take some years. Indian economy has to grow a bit more, 400 lakh crore GDP perhaps, purchasing power of India needs to grow.
Thats really far out into the future, and obvio in no way an effective tool to counter the fait accompli by China right now.

My reading into the whole matter is quite simple -

On threat level 1-10, India is

A) Capable of handling Level 1-5
1)Level 1-3 like smuggling, domestic terrorism can be handled by sanctions, diplomatic ppwer etc
- Things like Pulwama (Level 4) or Uri (Level5) can be taken care by present military tools
2) Capable of handling level 9-10
Full on war or nuclear war
-Enough deterrence present to make the enemy think twice

B) Not capable of handling Level 6-8
Like Mumbai terror attacks (Level 6), Parliament attack (Level 7), deadly border disputes (Level 8)
These levels require an agile military force structure that can play on a small scale efectively without risking full scale retaliation (conventional or otherwise).

Result -
Incase of Level 6-8
This forces government's hand to either do nothing or go for full scale war.

garg_bharat

Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thats really far out into the future, and obvio in no way an effective tool to counter the fait accompli by China right now.
My reading into the whole matter is quite simple -
On threat level 1-10, India is
A) Capable of handling Level 1-5
- Level 1-3 like smuggling, domestic terrorism can be handled by sanctions, diplomatic ppwer etc
- Things like Pulwama (Level 4) or Uri (Level5) can be taken care by present military tools

2) Capable of handling level 9-10
Full on war or nuclear war
-Enough deterrence present to make the enemy think twice

B) Not capable of handling Level 6-8
Like Mumbai terror attacks (Level 6), Parliament attack (Level 7), deadly border disputes (Level 8)
These levels require an agile military force structure that can play on a small scale efectively without risking full scale retaliation (conventional or otherwise).

Result -
Incase of Level 6-8
This forces government's hand to either do nothing or go for full scale war.
It looks that way, but can’t escape the linearity of time itself. some things you can’t speed up without consequences.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
Yes, I think old playbook for Nepal is not working and we are in desperate need of new form of diplomacy but I don't think so that our 1900 century diplomatic babus are capable
We need some out of the box thinking on this or else we would lose strategic asset
I think the solution is something we tried but abandoned. That blockade wasn't exactly by India, it was by Madhesis. Taking that to its natural conclusion and get them to do it again and ask to join India as Madhes seems the best option. We even get to widen chicken neck.

scatterStorm

Country flag
Close combat is so last century. China will use drones, PGMs, high-end tech against India

This is written by:

Lt Gen H S Panag PVSM, AVSM (R) served in the Indian Army for 40 years. He was GOC in C Northern Command and Central Command. Post retirement, he was Member of Armed Forces Tribunal. Views are personal.
So the rational behind them using there Drones, Arty with PGMs is a reality we must accept. They know that airforce isn't there suite so they will use other means to stop our ground forces to force push into there territory which is very harsh terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles