HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

rohit b3

Country flag
Is there any update on TD3 ?? When will it fly??
The political parties are busy looting money from everywhere right now for their ads and campaigns, including money from the defence budget. Hence all the projects are in stand still.

Sea Eagle

-> Like everyone when will TD-3 Fly ?

-> Has lch been tested in high altitude regions like Leh etc ?

-> What weapon systems have been already tested on lch ?

-> Any chance of Navy using lch on LHDs like the brits use apaches.

-> Off topic but does our Navy own MBTs and what coastal defense systems it uses. ?

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned
It was supposed to be shown in the 4th quarter of 2013, right tb?
Avionics on td1 and td2 are borrowed from ALH .Also they need to finalize weapon charring wings shape it is the most difficult one .

Heard that mil-35 weapons carrying wings will give 20% extra lift.

As there are no more prototypes planned TD3 will take time atleast 6-8 months .

Warhawk

We are looking at the LCH attaining Initial Operational Capability (IOC) by end 2014
Managing Director, Helicopter Complex, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), P. Soundara Rajan

The third prototype of LCH will join the flight test programme in early 2014 and we are looking at it attaining Initial Operational Capability (IOC) by end 2014. The LCH has completed performance, handling trials and the first lot of sea level trials. Based on the feedback received we are preparing the third prototype along with incorporating design changes.The cabin and fuselage will be made shorter while the 20 mm gun will be moved back a little bit. We will also have a mockup to test the pilot ergonomics which is now ready and is being fitted out. In Parallel, we are getting ready for the Glass Cockpit and the Automatic Flight Control System (AFCS), both of which will be indigenous. Currently, we are flying with Glass Cockpit derived from the 'Dhruv' and we would like to have the Glass Cockpit ready on the third prototype. However, it is likely to be ready in time for the Limited Series Production (LSP) versions of the LCH. Developing of the AFCS is another important aspect for our future programmes as it is a critical technology.

We are looking at the LCH attaining Initial Operational Capability (IOC) by end 2014

Guys read the entire article contains information about all helicopter projects :)

Last edited:

Warhawk

-> Like everyone when will TD-3 Fly ?
This year..

---
-> Has lch been tested in high altitude regions like Leh etc ?

No, not yet. AFAIK This would be done during FOC. Though the Rudra has has gone through high altitude testing.
----
-> What weapon systems have been already tested on lch?
---
-> Any chance of Navy using lch on LHDs like the brits use apaches.
No official confirmation but would be great if they do so. Will be a great advantage during landing ops.

---
-> Off topic but does our Navy own MBT ?
AFAIK No :)

Sea Eagle

What was the reason of shifting the gun back a bit ? Is it related to the vibration problem ?

Btw good to see several countries showing interest in ALH

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It is possible done for better visual for the optics place at front ..

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
When even our Defense forces are not confident with our own products why will others go for it?
Soem tim eback I read that Arjun tank was also aksed by a nation but nothing happened after that....

You don't want it and you dont want others to have it too attitude of defense forces will never let Indian Defense structure to grow....

Sea Eagle :YOu said countries but named only two are there any more in the list?

The article mentions that Dhruv was trialed by Thailand army too

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
When even our Defense forces are not confident with our own products why will others go for it?
Soem tim eback I read that Arjun tank was also aksed by a nation but nothing happened after that....

You don't want it and you dont want others to have it too attitude of defense forces will never let Indian Defense structure to grow....

Sea Eagle :YOu said countries but named only two are there any more in the list?
if you want to ask about arjun then go there we will tell you
LCH is developed for fight at high altitude where no other nation have attack helicopter like it. We developed it for our own condition and geography. I won't gonna wonder if there is no export of LCH . We should export dhruv and rudra instead
it is stupid to hope export from indian defence industry which is taking shape. Our infrastructure is not suited for mass production. First we should fulfill our need. For export , you have to change some design which takes huge time.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
"The main issue when it comes to export is that we dont have every thing home made."... This argument was given to me by somebody ..
but as we know we have alot of things home made completely which we can export and have mass production done...
Dhruv got good response from th emarket then there were accidents :frusty: ...
We are making ships for island nation mauritious I think....

We have so much we can offer to the world ... why are we not exploring in thsi field?

Defence News - 9 state-of-the-art weapons India produced indigenously

Soon i think we are gonna sign with Nepal for exports but thats not enough....
We can mass produce a huge number of things which have a market outside....

then why dont we?

if you want to ask about arjun then go there we will tell you
LCH is developed for fight at high altitude where no other nation have attack helicopter like it. We developed it for our own condition and geography. I won't gonna wonder if there is no export of LCH . We should export dhruv and rudra instead
it is stupid to hope export from indian defence industry which is taking shape. Our infrastructure is not suited for mass production. First we should fulfill our need. For export , you have to change some design which takes huge time.

abhi_the _gr8_maratha

Country flag
lca still in production for IAF
akash have been ordered by IA and IAF, as I already said , we must first supply our own forces , export of akash will be considered after it is supplied to IA and IAF
astra is just tested from su30mki, so no export of this weapon this year
we export radars to myanmar.
we export boats to mauritius ,maldives ,
we export rifles, helicopters, radars, boats , SAR plane( Do 228) etc. @Pulkit

Last edited by a moderator:

abingdonboy

Country flag

What are you talking about?? The ALH is in service in the hundreds in the Indian Mil, it is used by the ICG, the BSF and the Geological Survey of India. There are orders for many many more for the Mil and HAL is targeting 100+ units for further civilian orders.

As for the interest in the LCH @jmj_overlord I've heard Ecuador were interested along with Sri Lanka.

Last edited by a moderator:

abingdonboy

Country flag
"The main issue when it comes to export is that we dont have every thing home made."... This argument was given to me by somebody ..
but as we know we have alot of things home made completely which we can export and have mass production done...
Dhruv got good response from th emarket then there were accidents :frusty: ...
We are making ships for island nation mauritious I think....
You're talking out of your backside, you are buying into some BS you've heard somewhere or you are ignorant to the truth

1) the ALH has been exported to Mauritius, Nepal, Ecuador, Israel, Maldives, Turkey and Peru. The main thing that has been holding back exports to European countries and North America is certain safer certificates that are being actively worked on by HAL as we speak.
2) India does export quite a bit of military gear- radars, Dorniers, small arms, light trucks, 4x4 etc not billions and there is room for improvement but it is not 0
3) the crashes in Ecuador in no way reflected on the ALH as a whole- in both instances the crew survived which intiself is a commendable achievement. The first crash was found to be due to pilot error not too sure about the second but i've heard nothing about it being equipment failure.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles