HAL Prachand - Light Combat Helicopter (LCH)

Akula

Country flag
It’s a silly conversation, but indulge me.

Makes sense for soldiers because they have to merge with their surroundings.

Against what background combat heli has to be camouflaged for? Blue, saffron hue during dusk & dawn and night sky?

And when it lands, Tarmac and airbase are either in cement color or black.

So what exactly is camo on a combat heli for.

Only combat heli colours that make sense to me are IA’s desert shade, IAF Tipnis grey and Rudra’s black.
Yesterday only, Indian Airforce Mi-17V5 was flying over my house. For few seconds I couldn't figure out where the helicopter was. The blue colour on the helicopter perfectly matched the blue sky.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Supposed to be... FOC will, but didn't buy those for LCH prototypes. Rudra has everything popping out of its body.
View attachment 43706
1️⃣ Saab RWS-300 Radar Warning Receiver
2️⃣ Saab LWS-310 Laser Warning Sensor
3️⃣ Saab MAW-300 Missile Approach Warning System
4️⃣ Saab BOP-L Countermeasures: automatic fully integrated chaff-flare mixed dispenser.
Only thing of SAAB isn't is our own helicopter saahab.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Only thing of SAAB isn't is our own helicopter saahab.
Well, if you do not have something then better get a good one. All from one source would cut costs too.

Maybe @Atcjurvin is right and we plan on adding our own to LCH, which is why those adding bought for the prototypes.

Atcjurvin

dare10.JPG

The MSWS is an advanced modern state-of-the-art aircraft self-protection system designed to provide vital EW capability required when operating in sophisticated, diverse and dense threat environment. The MSWS architecture provides for the integration and data fusion from a variety of sensors/receivers which provide RF/UV/Laser spectral coverage. The system shall detect and declare hostile Radars and missiles, provide related warning to pilot and initiate adequate countermeasures. The angular information of the threat is provided through audio and visual display to the pilot. The MSWS together with counter measures makes a complete Self Protection Suite (SPS) and has made entry into a number of aircraft programmes.

Atcjurvin

dare3.JPG

TARANG, developed by DARE, intercepts and identifies airborne and ground based acquisition, target tracking and missile guidance radars in multi-octave frequency bands. The system provides audio and visual warnings in order to alert the pilot against imminent threats and their current state viz. Search, Track and / or missile in air. It cues the onboard self protection jammer to counter each of the detected threats with the most optimum countermeasure technique, besides acting as master of the Counter Measures Dispensing System (CMDS). TARANG RWR is on par with the best in the world and is operational in many IAF and IN aircraft platforms.

piKacHHu

Country flag
The placement of FLIR pod on the top of the chin has resulted into reduction of LCH view angle in vertical plane. It cannot look down vertically as many of its peer can do. I don't understand what logic goes for placing FLIR above the chin.

Atcjurvin

The placement of FLIR pod on the top of the chin has resulted into reduction of LCH view angle in vertical plane. It cannot look down vertically as many of its peer can do. I don't understand what logic goes for placing FLIR above the chin.
It is also placed above in T 129. lch has very less place below its chin and that too is occupied by gun.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Why there is no integrated defence system on LCH ?

No MAWS no CMDS no RWRs..... nothing

Why this lacuna

Nobody will order a attack helicopter without self defence suite
It will have an identical SPS to the Rudra, Rudra acted as a test bed for almost all the systems onboard the LCH.

we we developed maws, rwr and lwr and chaff for aircrafts so why not for helicopters. what about jammer is it fitted in LCH.
DIRCM is eventually sought for LCH but will come later.

This has been discussed before. Yes the position sacrifices a little in the direct down position but the thought process seems to be that this position is superior for scanning upwards and considering targeting RPAs is one of the main missions for LCH this makes sense.

Anyway the only time this would be a severe limitation is for looking directly below the aircraft which is almost never going to happen when all the weapons onboard target many KMs away. If you are flying directly over your target you have already messed up.

Atcjurvin

It is also having tactical data link I hope drdo will also develop MMW fire control radar just like longbow. It will not be a big deal for them since they already developed such system for arjun mk1a

Chinmoy

Country flag
How, we are going to buy hundred of helicopters in coming years so greater the indegeneous content it's better for us.
Manufacturing is done based on orders. When you have limited order, you don't make sub components based on assumption that order would be placed.

Even if we place order for 500 helos, buying off the self components would be much more economical then going thru the process of R&D and setting up independent line for the same. Recurring orders are must for sustenance of any production line.

AbRaj

Country flag
India defense minister inaugurates HAL’s LCH production hangar
Posted on February 27, 2020; Hindustan Aeronautics Limited Press Release

India’s Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL’s) new Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) production hangar at the helicopter division in the presence of HAL CMD R. Madhavan and other senior officials.

The new production hangar will augment the Light Combat Helicopter production capacity to reach a peak production of 30 helicopters per year. HAL Photo
Advertisement

LCH is completely ready for operational induction and Helicopter Complex is fully geared up for the production of LCH, said Madhavan. The new production hangar will augment the LCH production capacity to reach a peak production of 30 helicopters per year, added GVS Bhaskar, CEO, Helicopter Complex.

The techno commercial proposal for 15 Limited Series Production (LSP) helicopters has already been submitted by HAL in March 2018 and the order is awaited. The total projected requirement is for around 160 helicopters.

HAL also apprised defense minister on the progress of new design and development program of indigenous Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH). The full scale mock-up was showcased to the Minister. The IMRH (for IAF, Navy and Army) is proposed as a replacement to the existing medium lift helicopters such as Mi17’s, Kamovs and Seakings which will phase out in the next eight to ten years and HAL is keen to complete the development of IMRH during this time.

Induction of indigenous IMRH will result in considerable savings of foreign exchange. The Preliminary Project Report (PPR) for development has been submitted to the MoD for sanction of funds by CCS.

AbRaj

Country flag
India defense minister inaugurates HAL’s LCH production hangar
Posted on February 27, 2020; Hindustan Aeronautics Limited Press Release

India’s Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated Hindustan Aeronautics Limited’s (HAL’s) new Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) production hangar at the helicopter division in the presence of HAL CMD R. Madhavan and other senior officials.

The new production hangar will augment the Light Combat Helicopter production capacity to reach a peak production of 30 helicopters per year. HAL Photo
Advertisement

LCH is completely ready for operational induction and Helicopter Complex is fully geared up for the production of LCH, said Madhavan. The new production hangar will augment the LCH production capacity to reach a peak production of 30 helicopters per year, added GVS Bhaskar, CEO, Helicopter Complex.

The techno commercial proposal for 15 Limited Series Production (LSP) helicopters has already been submitted by HAL in March 2018 and the order is awaited. The total projected requirement is for around 160 helicopters.

HAL also apprised defense minister on the progress of new design and development program of indigenous Indian Multi Role Helicopter (IMRH). The full scale mock-up was showcased to the Minister. The IMRH (for IAF, Navy and Army) is proposed as a replacement to the existing medium lift helicopters such as Mi17’s, Kamovs and Seakings which will phase out in the next eight to ten years and HAL is keen to complete the development of IMRH during this time.

Induction of indigenous IMRH will result in considerable savings of foreign exchange. The Preliminary Project Report (PPR) for development has been submitted to the MoD for sanction of funds by CCS.

That’s one significant development.
We were always short of attack helos. Togather with recent purchase of Apache by army , it will boost the capability of our armoured divisions

WolfPack86

Country flag
Why India's Light Combat Helicopter could be a game changer
Attack helicopters have been in the news lately. Earlier this week, a government-to-government deal for eight Apache helicopter gunships for the Indian Army was signed during the visit of President Donald Trump. In September 2019, the Indian Air Force (IAF) began taking deliveries of the first batch of their 22 Apaches contracted for under a $1.1 billion deal in 2015.

With the Indian armed forces set to operate 30 of these highly capable machines, it’s easy to lose sight of the indigenous Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) being developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL). Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday inaugurated the new LCH production hangar at HAL’s Helicopter Division. HAL officials said the LCH “is completely ready for induction and the complex fully geared up for its production”.

I have been following the LCH’s development and flight testing over the past four years, and in my opinion, it has progressed very well. I was fortunate to fly this mean machine during Aero India 2017. It was a delightful experience. The test pilot demonstrated a fairly wide array of combat/weapon delivery and high-G manoeuvres and later, I flew the entire flight profile myself.

I can say with great confidence and pride that the LCH has evolved into a very sturdy, potent and highly manoeuverable platform. I was particularly impressed by the platform stability, ease of handling it in high-G manoeuvres and control responses in the entire flight envelope that we flew. Given the fact that these features form the basic requirements for a combat helicopter for accurate weapon delivery, the LCH meets most attack helicopter requirements and parameters with distinction. The indigenous helicopter could be a valuable stepping stone for our pilots moving on to the Apache.

The armed forces are to set up theatre commands, as recently announced by the Chief of Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat.

Thirty Apaches will be grossly inadequate to perform the close air support missions in these three or four theatres. The planned acquisition of nearly 200 LCHs for the army and air force will bring battlefield support helicopters in the numbers for these new commands.

While the Apaches would do well in the plains, they would have limitations operating in the upper reaches of the Himalayas. During the Kargil War of 1999, there was a need felt for armed attack helicopters capable of operating at high altitude. That’s where the LCH fits in. It has successfully been tested in altitudes over 13,000 feet and was the first attack helicopter to land at the forward landing base in Siachen.

Today, as the LCH heads towards achieving its full operational capability (FOC) standards, especially after successful test firing of almost its entire weapons suite, the only aspects which will have to be dealt with very carefully and intelligently are the aspects of flawless weapons integration and maintainability. HAL needs to focus on robust product support and maintenance of these machines to ensure availability.

If done well, the LCH will be a success story. I say this with some confidence since I have flown many types of helicopters over 40 years, and the LCH to me is evolving as a fine combat helicopter. The LCH can be the game changer in our indigenisation and Make in India pursuit, if flawlessly monitored and progressed. The Ministry of Defence and HAL must not spare any effort to pursue the LCH FOC targets with vigour, so that this ‘lean and mean machine’ evolves into a great combat asset for the Indian Armed Forces and indeed, the nation.
https://www.defencenews.in/article/Why-Indias-Light-Combat-Helicopter-could-be-a-game-changer-809476

porky_kicker

Country flag
It will have an identical SPS to the Rudra, Rudra acted as a test bed for almost all the systems onboard the LCH.

DIRCM is eventually sought for LCH but will come later.

This has been discussed before. Yes the position sacrifices a little in the direct down position but the thought process seems to be that this position is superior for scanning upwards and considering targeting RPAs is one of the main missions for LCH this makes sense.

Anyway the only time this would be a severe limitation is for looking directly below the aircraft which is almost never going to happen when all the weapons onboard target many KMs away. If you are flying directly over your target you have already messed up.
I doubt it

LCH is a sleek helicopter , cannot have the bulky box like appendages from Dhruv installed on it.

It will mess up the aerodynamics big time.

Which is why I raised the question.

LCH will need flush / conformal sensors for SPS. Which will need aerodynamic studies and certification - a long process .

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
LCH is a sleek helicopter , cannot have the bulky box like appendages from Dhruv installed on it.
They are placed on Rudra in quite crude manner. Maybe they already have space inside it alotted for them and only the sensors business parts will be exposed, like those two white thingys behind Tejas radome.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles