F-18 Advanced Super Hornet

su35

Country flag
The Americans were essentially green pilots. But hey I am not advocating that Iraq should have won it, I am merely saying that Iraq should have taken out more coalition planes than the embarrassing sole F18.
Really!! which of their plane in inventory do you think had reasonable servicbility or lethal wepon package. what about inter force rivalary and EW capabilities

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Really!! which of their plane in inventory do you think had reasonable servicbility or lethal wepon package. what about inter force rivalary and EW capabilities
You missed the part that their Mig-25 shot down an American F-18 in BVR. That should be enough proof that the Iraqis could have had inflicted more A2A kills against the coalition forces given their hardware.

su35

Country flag
You missed the part that their Mig-25 shot down an American F-18 in BVR. That should be enough proof that the Iraqis could have had inflicted more A2A kills against the coalition forces given their hardware.
How can I miss it when I have already quoted it. BVR fighting is always unrealiable, Iraqi were facing facing huge problems maintaing and arming their frontline fighter(Mig 25 and Mig 29), many of these plane were grounded ,hidden, sent to Iran or destroyed in their own airbase. Iraqi air chief never acted early on the waring of invansion of Coalition

Zebra

Country flag
I am not able to understand your post can you please explain a bit more?, and about no, I do not think any site will provide clear and unbaised view.
OK, fine.

But can you understand these words (of asianobserve ) -----> You have to look at the holistic picture of the Gulf War, not isolated incidents or claims of incidents.

I was trying to say that same thing.

Zebra

Country flag
How can I miss it when I have already quoted it. BVR fighting is always unrealiable, Iraqi were facing facing huge problems maintaing and arming their frontline fighter(Mig 25 and Mig 29), many of these plane were grounded ,hidden, sent to Iran or destroyed in their own airbase. Iraqi air chief never acted early on the waring of invansion of Coalition
May be till today.

And who knows about tomorrow....!

Better check the trend ------> http://alert5.com/2016/05/17/aim-9x...weapon/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bahamut

What kenematic performance? In WVR combat which is in subsonic region you do not talk about kenematic performance of fighters. You talk about the fastest fighter that can aim and shoot its infrared missile at the enemy. What you need in WVR are excellent fused sensors, HMCS and mach 2+ infrared missiles with HOBS and LOAL capabilities. The latest infrared missiles in particular will have more "kenematic performance" than any current or future super duper fighters in WVR.

In other words, if you have HMCS and HOBS with LOAL missile you don't need much maneuvering to shoot at the enemy, you just need to face the direction of your enemy to fire you missile. In fact you can shoot the enemy even if it is behind, below or above you.
HMCS & HOBS does reduces the need for maneuvering but you still.need it to defeat missile.HOBS simply increase the scan angle of missile and if the target is maneuvering then missile lose speed very quickly and miss the plane if the target performs a 7-8g then missile is defeated.

Bahamut

What kenematic performance? In WVR combat which is in subsonic region you do not talk about kenematic performance of fighters. You talk about the fastest fighter that can aim and shoot its infrared missile at the enemy. What you need in WVR are excellent fused sensors, HMCS and mach 2+ infrared missiles with HOBS and LOAL capabilities. The latest infrared missiles in particular will have more "kenematic performance" than any current or future super duper fighters in WVR.

In other words, if you have HMCS and HOBS with LOAL missile you don't need much maneuvering to shoot at the enemy, you just need to face the direction of your enemy to fire you missile. In fact you can shoot the enemy even if it is behind, below or above you.
HMCS & HOBS does reduces the need for maneuvering but you still.need it to defeat missile.HOBS simply increase the scan angle of missile and if the target is maneuvering then missile lose speed very quickly and miss the plane if the target performs a 7-8g then missile is defeated.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
It's not that simple. Do it correctly a simple barrel roll may break a missile lock especially against older gen A2A missiles. But current A2A gen missile have far smaller escape zones and are far resistant to jamming, especially WVR missiles. Studies really does show that the best way, the most survivable way, to fight air combat now is from BVR. Do not try to argue with statistics.

Bahamut

It's not that simple. Do it correctly a simple barrel roll may break a missile lock especially against older gen A2A missiles. But current A2A gen missile have far smaller escape zones and are far resistant to jamming, especially WVR missiles. Studies really does show that the best way, the most survivable way, to fight air combat now is from BVR. Do not try to argue with statistics.
If missile evolve ,so will the counter measure
Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directional_Infrared_Counter_Measures
Link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_countermeasure

WolfPack86

Country flag

JASSM is a long-range, conventional, air-to-ground, precision standoff missile for the U.S. and allied forces. Designed to destroy high-value, well-defended, fixed and relocatable targets, JASSM’s significant standoff range keeps aircrews well out of danger from hostile air defense systems.

A 2,000-pound class weapon with a penetrator/blast fragmentation warhead, JASSM employs precision routing and guidance in adverse weather, day or night, using a state-of-the-art infrared seeker in addition to the anti-jam GPS to find a specific aimpoint on the target. Its stealthy airframe makes it extremely difficult to defeat.

JASSM is integrated on multiple aircraft including the B-1, B-2, B-52, F-16, and F-15E. Internationally, JASSM is certified on the Royal Australian Air Force’s F/A-18. Future integration efforts will focus on the U.S. and international versions of Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II fighter aircraft and other international platforms.

With superior performance and affordable price, JASSM offers the best value of any weapon in its class.
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/jassm/mfc-jassm-product-overview.html

WolfPack86

Country flag
Long Range Anti-Ship Missile

LRASM is a long range, precision-guided anti-ship missile leveraging off of the successful JASSM-ER heritage, and is designed to meet the needs of U.S. Navy and Air Force warfighters. Armed with a penetrator and blast fragmentation warhead, LRASM employs precision routing and guidance, day or night in all weather conditions. The missile employs a multi-modal sensor suite, weapon data link, and enhanced digital anti-jam Global Positioning System to detect and destroy specific targets within a group of numerous ships at sea.

Background

Lockheed Martin is currently executing on the Accelerated Acquisition contract for the LRASM Deployment Office. This contract is further maturing the technologies that will be delivered as an early operational capability in LRASM for the USAF B-1B and USN F/A-18E/F in 2018 and 2019 respectively. This operational capability will provide our warfighter with the solution to their anti-surface warfare capability gap. We have begun the integration efforts onto the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. Fit and mass properties checks were conducted at Pax River Naval Base with the U.S. Navy and captive-carry flight tests took place in 4Q15. We are also investing company funds to reduce risk of a surface-launch variant that will be used by the VLS currently in the fleet.

LRASM technology will reduce dependence on ISR platforms, network links, and GPS navigation in aggressive electronic warfare environments. This advanced guidance operation means the weapon can use gross target cueing data to find and destroy its pre-defined target in denied environments. Precision lethality against surface and land targets ensures the system will become an important addition to the US Navy warfighter’s arsenal. LRASM provides range, survivability, and lethality that no other current system provides.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/LRASM/overview.html

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
You seem to be totally unaware of the history of the Gulf War. Iraq's air force was not immediately destroyed on the first day, it took almost a week of sustained air assault by coalition forces before Iraqi pilots started running towards Iran with their planes. On the first day (Jan. 17, 1991) the Iraqi Air Force was able to make more than 100 sorties against coalition fighters. In fact, on the first day an Iraqi Air Force Mig-25 managed to destroy s US Navy F18 from BVR. During teh first week of February the Iraqi Air Force was still sending sorties against coalition aircraft but of course by then they were too depleted and their air defense system was a wreck already. One should also consider Iraq's SAMs which were still formidable even after the first week of the air war.
I know perfectly the Gulf war.
Airfields are among the main targets of the US. as SAM and communications noods.
Desert Storm was a recital of US tactics.

How old are you Guy?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I know perfectly the Gulf war.
Airfields are among the main targets of the US. as SAM and communications noods.
Desert Storm was a recital of US tactics.

How old are you Guy?
I believe my age has nothing to do with what happened in the Gulf War. It certainly wouldn't change the fact that the Iraqi Air Force was not destroyed on the first day of that War.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I believe my age has nothing to do with what happened in the Gulf War. It certainly wouldn't change the fact that the Iraqi Air Force was not destroyed on the first day of that War.
I'm 50. I see the war every day. And even at those moments, I was found of Aerospace affairs.

May be you was not born at those time. And "learn" via Wikipédia....

Iraki air force was not destroyed, as US troops found some planes buried in the sand later.... but iraki AF doesn't exist as a structured air force at the end of day 1.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I'm 50. I see the war every day. And even at those moments, I was found of Aerospace affairs.

May be you was not born at those time. And "learn" via Wikipédia....

Iraki air force was not destroyed, as US troops found some planes buried in the sand later.... but iraki AF doesn't exist as a structured air force at the end of day 1.
Maybe your news source at the time was flawed since the Iraqi Air Force was not destroyed on day 1. But I must admit I am younger than you. In January, 1991, I was only a 6th Grader but I also watched the whole thing (although I will also admit that I had a tendency at the time of watching MTV more if I control the remote) on our new cable tv.

There's no harm in reading Wikipedia, but you must always cross-refer with other sources. If you can find scholarly sources in the net then the better. Moreover, memory is very fickle and we have a tendency to remember things based on preconcieved notions. It's better to always verify from readily available sources before making assertions.

BTW Sir, if my memory serves me right the footage about the burried Iraqi jets are not from the 1991 Gulf War but from the 2003 invasion of Iraq. In 1991 Gulf War the Iraqis did not burry their jets to hide it from coalition forces they just flew it to the air bases of their former arch enemy, Iran.

Last edited:

sob

Mod
Country flag
Did the Iranians return the Mig 29s back to Iraq??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles