DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
What does he mean?
Kindly explain sir
3 platforms are (kinda) competing for our next-gen ICV program -
  • Stryker - Pushed by USA, but not superior capability-wise. If Stryker gets selected (in small numbers) it will be a military diplomacy or chanda to USA.

• WhAP - Good platform but unknown people (read not only Army) is blocking its induction citing it is incomplete and improvements required.

• BMP-2 Upgrade - OFB & DPSU communist lobby is pushing for upgraded BMP-2 instead of either of the above platform.
---------------------------------------------

Now that it seems OFB communist successfully sold us BMP-2 tin-cans induction of either Striker or WhAP will suffer, or will be token at best.

Also, this -

I know it is a Chinese tweet, but I kinda agree. We should be looking to throw away BMP-2s not induct them in larger numbers.

NutCracker

Country flag
It seems that the target which was found by fisherman's of odissa was used for astra mk3 test. Seems it couldn't hit the target as they might have tested it for very long range.
Su30 sonic boom- looks like missile was fired from lower altitude. That's why notam of 280-300km
Multiple tests could have happened I guess..
Jo Fishermen ko mila, vo single engine Banshee-40/ Shikra target drone hai to uska khud ka dual parallel trail vaise bhi nahi banega.
(There are twin engine banshee-80 but latest and not ordered by India yet)

1710391260722.png

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Jo Fishermen ko mila, vo single engine Banshee-40/ Shikra target drone hai to uska khud ka dual parallel trail vaise bhi nahi banega.
(There are twin engine banshee-80 but latest and not ordered by India yet)

View attachment 244222
I had not considered those two smoke trails as of banshee. I dont even know this drone why would they fly this over odisha then send over sea..
Those 2 smoke trails could be of su30s..
Or it could be like, maneuvering test for missile ? Pulling high Gs then test fire. This must be critical component of missile testing as it has to go under high Gs in combat.. so that's why su30s could have lowered the altitude too. To fly in denser air pull high Gs..
What do you think�
Way too many assumtions based on flimsy evidence.
Gut feeling bhaizan, two notams were issued.

Last edited:

jai jaganath

Country flag
  • Stryker - Pushed by USA, but not superior capability-wise. If Stryker gets selected (in small numbers) it will be a military diplomacy or chanda to USA.

• WhAP - Good platform but unknown people (read not only Army) is blocking its induction citing it is incomplete and improvements required.

• BMP-2 Upgrade - OFB & DPSU communist lobby is pushing for upgraded BMP-2 instead of either of the above platform.

Now that it seems OFB communist successfully sold us BMP-2 tin-cans induction of either Striker or WhAP will suffer, or will be token at best.

Also, this -

I know it is a Chinese tweet, but I kinda agree. We should be looking to throw away BMP-2s not induct them in larger numbers.
How come wheeled platform be replaced by tracked platform
IA has requirement of both the types
And both have different mandates wrt their advantages
Wheeled is definitely coming not sure tata or Mahindra or ia new favourite stryker

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
How come wheeled platform be replaced by tracked platform
IA has requirement of both the types
And both have different mandates wrt their advantages
Wheeled is definitely coming not sure tata or Mahindra or ia new favourite stryker
Hope you are correct.

Btw I don't think IA thinks so technically (at least on ground level, maybe genrols are smarter). What they see is "armoured" vehicle.

Anyway, hope BMP upgrade is just modernizing our BMPs & decomissioning obsolete BMP-1s & 2s, and not a replacement for WhAP.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Hope you are correct.

Btw I don't think IA thinks so technically (at least on ground level, maybe genrols are smarter). What they see is "armoured" vehicle.

Anyway, hope BMP upgrade is just modernizing our BMPs & decomissioning obsolete BMP-1s & 2s, and not a replacement for WhAP.
We are forgetting that as of now 30mm whap is no where near production..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Also, this -

there can be a alternative explanation as well for tracked ICV..

there are about 2500 BMP2 in the inventory, for FICV as and when it is approved even if we are to take the old annual production rate 150 and even if production rate is increased by 100%, replacement will take atleast a decade. the trend has been, even FICV will not be given order for 2500 at once, it will be given in batches over a period of time, IA always has a procurement backlog of other equipment categories as well, within their CAPEX budget.

in the mean time, there is no point current inventory of BMP2 being night blind, might as well upgrade the kit that would otherwise go on FICV anyways.

this is to say, there can be other explanations possible beyond binaries of either or.

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag
We have already conducted user trials of WhAP with BMP-2 turret.

Its just a matter of orders. Current WhAP batch (IPMV) was specifically ordered without turret due to infinite wisdom of our genrols.
Then it seems cost saving & BMP upgrade is big bang for bucks.. it will take alot of time to replace them. They can't operate outdated systems until they get replacement

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Then it seems cost saving & BMP upgrade is big bang for bucks.. it will take alot of time to replace them. They can't operate outdated systems until they get replacement
one aspect our commentary on defence procurements often overlooks especially when comparisions are made with western countries, outside of U.S, Russia, China and maybe egypt, every other military force buys their principle equipment in hundreds not in thousands. for example, when an european country buys some equipment like logistics, arty, armoured vehicles it's usually in hundreds not thousands.

for us, every procurement is multi decade program especially for frontline systems because of the numbers. what IA considers small orders are usually entire procurement program for most countries.

for example , if UK talks about tank modernisation programs they are talking about 200 tanks, for france it's 200 active 400 total, for IA this number is around 4000.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
We have already conducted user trials of WhAP with BMP-2 turret.

Its just a matter of orders. Current WhAP batch (IPMV) was specifically ordered without turret due to infinite wisdom of our genrols.
And without amphibious capability. Something they themselves wanted.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles