DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Lonewarrior

Country flag
What is MILO?
Magnetically Insulated Line Oscillator; it uses strong electromagnetic field of oscillate electric current in a long tubular structure and because of electromagnetic induction this interaction causes microwave to shoot out from one end. This definition is obviously way too oversimplified but more or less this is how it works.

Basically it's like RaGa's Aaloo - Sona machine, where you put electric current at one end and get a coherent beam of microwave from the other.
What about ICMBs?
Toughest target no matter how advanced the laser is.

The biggest enemy of any kind of EM wave is attenuation; the loss of energy due to interference from atmospheric particles, water vapour, droplets, etc. So unless you find a way to make your laser airborne like US YAL-1 or make a space based system it's still a long way to catch-up.
Where do they get power supply from??
.... it looks like it requires a dedicated nuclear power plant
Naah; you can amplify the power

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Again I'm oversimplifying things, so sorry for that.

Take a capacitor and connect it to an oscillating power source with a diode so that there's only an one way flow of current (from the power source to the capacitor, not vice versa). Now with each oscillation a certain amount of energy would get dumped in the capacitor and with time it would continue to get accumulated.

One such way of amplification is what's know as Marx Generator

Vamsi

Country flag

Take a capacitor and connect it to an oscillating power source with a diode so that there's only an one way flow of current (from the power source to the capacitor, not vice versa). Now with each oscillation a certain amount of energy would get dumped in the capacitor and with time it would continue to get accumulated.

you need a huge capacitor for that

Lonewarrior

Country flag
you need a huge capacitor for that
Yes and no.
Yes, because obviously you'll need a capacitor robust enough to deal with this level of current. And no, because you can get away with it by using a simple cheat code...using hundreds of small capacitors in parallel to create a capacitor bank

Vamsi

Country flag

can a 100MW class DEW destroy an incoming cruise missile at <100 km range??
If yes, is it possible to use it on ships??

Lonewarrior

Country flag
can a 100MW class DEW destroy an incoming cruise missile at <100 km range??
Well there's something interesting with cruise missiles; they're liquid fuelled.

There's a term called IM or Insentive Munition which measures how easy it is to detonate a rocket or bomb by secondary means like firing a bullet or putting it on fire. Liquid fuelled munitions are way more sensitive than solid fuelled ones so even a 1mW laser can engage a liquid fuelled cruise missile at distances way more than 100km.
If yes, is it possible to use it on ships??
Ships are perhaps the best platform for lasers. Lasers require a huge SWaP (size, weight and power) and luckily warships weighing thousands of tonnes with huge turbine generator can provide practically unlimited SWaP

Fatalis

Country flag
There exist a project called Project PR. Not sure if Pralay or Pranash. It will have a reloader vehicle, a replenishment vehicle and a field service vehicle.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
There exist a project called Project PR. Not sure if Pralay or Pranash. It will have a reloader vehicle, a replenishment vehicle and a field service vehicle.
If indeed these two are the only possible answers for "PR" then it'll most probably be for Pranash.

Pralay is a 5 ton beast, it makes no sense making a reloader and replenishment vehicle for it as you can get another launcher in almost half the pain of a field reloadable one. Just a 5 ton capable crane would be tough.

But on the other hand Prahaar is just a glorified MLRS. Given its tactical role it's much more logical to have a field reloadable launcher.

Fatalis

Country flag
If indeed these two are the only possible answers for "PR" then it'll most probably be for Pranash.

Pralay is a 5 ton beast, it makes no sense making a reloader and replenishment vehicle for it as you can get another launcher in almost half the pain of a field reloadable one. Just a 5 ton capable crane would be tough.

But on the other hand Prahaar is just a glorified MLRS. Given its tactical role it's much more logical to have a field reloadable launcher.
I couldn't think of any other projects with name PR as Prithvi is old.

blackleaf

Country flag
I am aware of corruption in the Indian armed forces, Chandigarh lobby, etc., etc., yes.

But, this line of reasoning - The solution to dwindling sqns is ordering more LCA MK1A, is not only immature but reflects a lack of understanding of air combat. While this is not expected from civilian traffic, their dismissal of IAF's concerns and unsolicited advice of what and what not IAF should do is really hilarious.

I get into this debate almost once a month as to why IAF's solution to falling squadrons is not ordering 500+ LCA Mk1A which will make Indian dephens fanboys and our enemies equally aroused.

I will go into the technical gravy only once, get it or stick with your uninformed opinion.

A proper, (not kangaroo) airforce requires a mix of different platforms for different operations. Light, medium, and heavy fighters have their own advantages and issues, and an airforce having high domination of a single category of jet is detrimental to its operational capability.

Light jets (LCA, Mig-21, F-5, FA-50, JF-17)
Advantages - Low operational cost, cheaper to manufacture & maintain.
Disadvantages - Short range, low payload capacity, power constraints (smaller engine), more vulnerable (to damage), less margin for upgrade/MLU.

Heavy jets (F-15, Su-27/30/35, J-20)
Advantages - Large combat radius, more payload, more sensors & weapons, can be upgraded endlessly due to space, more tolerance to damage.
Disadvantages - Costlier to operate, maintain, and manufacture in general.

Medium jets are somewhere in the middle of both.

An airforce having a light-fighter heavy airforce will doom itself to being restricted around the airbase, catering to multiple sorties for a single mission and other operational problems.
An airforce having a heavy-fighter dominant airforce will suffer from low sortie rates and high operational costs. E.g., - RuAF

When you look at feats like IAF conducting operations across the frontiers, deep into Malacca strait or Indian Ocean, it won't be possible with LCA Mk1.

What IAF needs is a medium fighter jet in numbers. This is where comes LCA Mk2, and hence IAF is so bullish about it. If it gets delayed, it must be supplemented by some other medium jet, like Rafale (ideally), or some other option, not a light fighter jet.
We need more numbers urgently, especially given the low sortie rates of the MKIs.
More LCA MK1As are probably one of the only viable ways to add squadrons urgently. Light fighters like the LCA may be less effective in the Indian Ocean or on the Chinese border but it still should be useful on the Pakistan border.
I would love to have 150 LCA MK1A( can the current MK1s be upgraded to MK1As?).
That way we can match the 150+ JF-17s that Pakistan has aircraft to aircraft.

Pakistan also apparently has 85 F-16s and 22 J-10Cs. Does anyone know how many years their older F-16s have left in them? Surely the older ones must be getting a bit long in the tooth.
The F-16s with their western engines should have a much higher sortie rate than Russian or Chinese jets. I will feel much better when all the F-16s are retired and they are stuck with just JF-17s and J-10s.

porky_kicker

Country flag
What is MILO??

What about ICMBs?

Where do they get power supply from??
.... it looks like it requires a dedicated nuclear power plant
I wrote about it here, 3 years ago

You can read it below in the quoted post

The pic below is a Indian experimental lab model of S band magnetically insulated line oscillator (MILO) for generating HPM ( high power microwave ) pulses.

Generally MILO is a cross field device that generates gigawatts level of HPM. The device is compact because it generates the magnetic field by itself.

In the above experimental lab setup with the compact S band MILO with 2 choke, 3 SWS cavities and one coupling cavity , RF output power of 4 MW at a frequency of 3.26GHz for the beam voltage of 485 KV and the current of 48.4 KA was obtained.

The significance of MILO lies in its ability to deliver highest energy per mass per pulse compared to other HPM source devices/technologies.

And importantly MILO allows for smallest possible dimensions for a HPM weapon system along with the relevant support systems , light and compact enough to make it mobile ie truck / trailer / track mounted for battlefield operations.

According to unclassified reports the Americans tested mobile MILO devices with RF energy levels well over 1KJ per pulse ( 2-3 GW for .5-1us ).

View attachment 63905

AFAIK to the above system If a explosively pumped FCG or MHD is added and necessary miniaturisation is done in order to fit into a form factor of say a 500 kg bomb , one will possible get a very powerful EMP bomb strong enough to destroy all electrical and electronic equipments in a area as large as mumbai.
For icbms there will be lot of problems, near impossible imo bec of multiple reasons , laser better option incase of dew , still lot of problems.

Power supply is pulsed power , afaik basically seed current is amplified immensely eg Marx generators , I wrote on it too, search here

I think emp bomb already developed bec it seems one component I posted long time ago is actually a miniaturised Marx generator, needs confirmation though

Last edited:

Vamsi

Country flag
My money is on hypersonic stealth aircraft.
Or at the very least, near hypersonic.

IMO B21 isnt 6th gen, its just thrown in to get congressional approval which they wont do otherwise since 5th gen b-2 still in service.
its looks like hypersonic, recently in one of the tweets, Lockheed Martin said that SR-71 is the fastest aircraft "of its time"

Arihant Roy

Country flag
Does any of my fellow posters here who are computer nerds and keep an eagle eye on what's going on in India in this sector have any idea on the status of this tender on multi petaflops computing system.

It was a global tender .

The HPC and the associated data centre was planned to be commissioned at DRDL's campus in Hyderabad.
zPpbYNET.png_small.png

62Q6OAyp.png_medium.png

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles