DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

blackleaf

Country flag
So we can't do something unless we get a validation from the Americans and the British and the French.
Gotcha
Who said anything seeking validation?
I said that it was unfair to criticize naval planners for not doing something no one else has done before. No other major navy has bothered with a carrier UAV fleet until very recently and for very good reasons.
Even the Turks are only doing it because they got kicked out of the F-35 program. And they are not exactly one of the leading naval powers.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Who said anything seeking validation?
Why else should we wait for someone else to test something so that we can copy them!?

Israel thought of developing an anti-radar loitering munitions despite US not doing something like that. And now even US is interested in that tech.
Imagine after successfully developing Harpy or Harop someone in Israel scrapping the whole project saying if US is doing SEAD using HARMs then we should stick to that only.
No other major navy has bothered with a carrier UAV fleet until very recently and for very good reasons.
After sonars or recon would have detected an enemy submarine way out of torpedo's range this UAV would take off from an aircraft carrier carrying a torpedo and guided by onboard television cameras. This would both lessen the fatigue of torpedo hunting and free more crew and planes for their primary duty; fleet air defence.

An initial order of 1,000 was placed. Which got reduced to 300 and later even less because of high cost and complexity.

You know what I'm talking about?
I'm talking about Interstate TDR. This guy...
Interstate_TDR-1.jpg

...an UCAV that the US Navy was all set to induct in thousands in 1944. Nineteen effing forty-four.
Only cancelled it because of the same reason the orders of F-22 was slashed; high cost and complexity.

Other major Navies are slowly and steadily maturing this technology for the past eight decades. Where are you Mate!?

Even the Turks are only doing it because they got kicked out of the F-35 program. And they are not exactly one of the leading naval powers.
Turks are doing so because they're in 2023 and they can benefit from all the works done by NATO members in the past decades.

DRDO AlphaDogfight software. A better engine from P&W or RR. Kizilelma. Proximity fuzed ammunition. High off-boresight missiles.

Can you even imagine what you can achieve if you combine all these!?

Fatalis

Country flag

Aniruddha Mulay

Impossible we haven't procured it nor produced it in huge nos, mostly lsp have been manufactured, no atgm integration and most importantly better options are available
LoL name a single option which is cheap for procurement with good availability, carry its fully certified payload upto an altitude of 15,000ft and be stealthy enough at the same time.
Don't tell me the Chinese Harbin Z-19 coz China's after sales support for its weapons exports has been unremarkable to say the least.
All the Turkish equipment that you fancy is in development.
If Nigeria didn't intend to procure the chopper, their officers won't be undergoing training on it.

skunk works

Country flag
Saala BC what about our army!!!!!!! I think they will buy it from Nigeria
Following sequence of events is 1000% possible in context of Indian Defense procurement.
Nigeria buys LCH->Nigeria gets a license to manufacture LCH->IAF tries to buy Nigeria manufactured LCH->Deal signed for 100 with 80 to be built in India under transfer of technology from Nigeria->job given to PSU->Some IAF off8cer accidentally copied the SR-71's specs from Wikipedia to put into the contract->PSU unable to meet the Mach 3.5 requirement->too heavy, says IAF->Project delayed by 9 years

jai jaganath

Country flag
LoL name a single option which is cheap for procurement with good availability, carry its fully certified payload upto an altitude of 15,000ft and be stealthy enough at the same time.
Don't tell me the Chinese Harbin Z-19 coz China's after sales support for its weapons exports has been unremarkable to say the least.
If Nigeria didn't intend to procure the chopper, their officers won't be undergoing training on it.
Regarding training I think they operate cheetah or chetak I might wrong but even if we take that into consideration then dhruv and rudha makes a tick bcoz it's in service and produced in nos
Coming to other points
How come can u comment of ones availability which isn't in service of any force and pls don't count lsp
I don't think they require 15000 feet ceiling as they don't have Himalayas
Its still doesn't carry atgm which is main armament of any attack helicopters and other options have that atleast
And how can u give guarantee of our after sales support which has been gone through a worse phase in past and pls let's not speak about Chinese exports as they are one of the world's largest weapon exporters and even manufacturers

Lonewarrior

Country flag
LoL name a single option which is cheap for procurement with good availability
Upgraded Mi-24, refurbished AH-1, obviously Z-10, Z-19, T129 Atak
carry its fully certified payload upto an altitude of 15,000ft
Why? Why should it carry it's fully certified payload upto an altitude of 15,000ft when the highest peak is merely 8,000ft.

That 15,000ft ceiling of LCH that we all keep bragging everywhere is not some impossible feat that only we can do...it's simply a compulsion for us. We're the only nation which has a battlefield in the Himalayas, why should anyone be bothered?
be stealthy enough at the same time
Helicopters are not stealthy. Period.
Angling few surfaces here and there and adding few dabs of RAM will do sh*t if you have two huge surfaces that rotate 500 times a minute.

Those rotors would light up a radar like a pine tree on Christmas.

Except for Comanche, it's always more or less just a gimmick.
That's definitely a problem for a country like us (Russian after sales services was one of the key reasons we started shifting towards western tech), but for a small country like Nigeria who's going to use those hardly three times a year for shooting its own people...it's simply a heck of a bang for buck.
Except Atak

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
After operating Vikrant for 36 years, Virat for 30 years, Vikramaditya for 10 years and Vikrant for an year someone in Navy realised that it would be a good idea to operate UAVs from carriers.
But even after that he didn't say that they're planning to integrate UAV fleet on current carriers, no...the next one.

This simply shows how exceptionally visionary our planners are.
True! No one is talking about Photon torpedoes yet, let alone quantum torpedoes! What a bummer! And not even gravity-well generators to protect against air threats... We are doomed!

Lonewarrior

Country flag
True! No one is talking about Photon torpedoes yet, let alone quantum torpedoes! What a bummer! And not even gravity-well generators to protect against air threats... We are doomed!
No one is talking about universal VLS, a more practical BrahMos length ASROC, a good assault rifle for that matter that's comparable to contemporaries, a lightweight 81mm mortar, a 120mm mounted mortar for that matter, an autoloader for tank, a smoothbore tank gun btw, GPS guided fuze for artillery, hard-kill for torpedoes, multipurpose round for tanks, a soldier level C4I system, an UAV based AWACS, an UAV based ASuW system, a new improved caliber, a lightweight heavy machine gun, a 40mm automatic machine gun...just realised we don't have one, EW mini cruise miss...

Waise achha chutkula suna leta hai ye quantum, photon type
Ek aur suna na

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
No one is talking about universal VLS, a more practical BrahMos length ASROC, a good assault rifle for that matter that's comparable to contemporaries, a lightweight 81mm mortar, a 120mm mounted mortar for that matter, an autoloader for tank, a smoothbore tank gun btw, GPS guided fuze for artillery, hard-kill for torpedoes, multipurpose round for tanks, a soldier level C4I system, an UAV based AWACS, an UAV based ASuW system, a new improved caliber, a lightweight heavy machine gun, a 40mm automatic machine gun...just realised we don't have one, EW mini cruise miss...

Waise achha chutkula suna leta hai ye quantum, photon type
Ek aur suna na
Come on! You disappoint me 😔

Not even a back-of-the-envelope calculation on the funds that would need to be sanctioned to initiate all of these projects, or how much the defence budget would you need to be increased as a percentage of GDP because of these projects?

At least do a calculation on the number of new scientists and engineers that would need to be hired for these projects, and do a HR cost calculation!

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles