DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Aniruddha Mulay

Guys I have after many days and I thought to ask this question but I kept hesitating for folks being sad but
1)what's the status of lch
2)what's the status of luh
3)what's the status of atags clearance
4)what's the status of tc-20
5)when army will procure Garuda 105
1) LCH is currently in the process of being outfitted with a self defense suite and ATGM integration is on-going, both of which is expected to be complete by mid-2023.
2) Limited Series production of 12 LUH airframes is underway at HAL.
3) Recently, MoD gave the clearance for procurement of 307 ATAGS, CCS and contract signing are probably the only 2 steps now remaining, should take about an year from now.
4) TC-20 was undergoing internal developmental trials as of last year, might have already completed those and have been offered to the Army for their user trials.
5) The Army had released an RFI last year where they wanted to mount all their existing 105mm IFG onto lightweight 4x4 trucks to have shoot and scoot capabilities, no update after this.

Chinmoy

Country flag
In our case, we need
List just 10 weapons made by us that have absolutely zero inspiration from anything
The whole BM and BMD line to start with. The BMD inspiration came from a system which was non-existent within India.

Don't you think there should be some difference between 23×152mmB and 23×115mm
Yes there should be. But if you want to design a SPAAG or MAAG, we had the design inspiration along with building blocks.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
unless you come up with details
I can come up with details mate. I can even spend 3-4 hours in Fusion360 can come up with dimensions accurate up to 1/10th of a millimetres. I can do a FEA analysis of that design to highlight the stress areas where you would need reinforcement...but what would be the benefit of all that effort? Just few guys on DFI agreeing on my idea and one or two people appreciating it. That's it.
🙂
how you are re -placing humongous feeder mechanism
Well here comes the beauty of Russian systems...they are simple AF. Compared to other Gatling style guns AK-630 has one of the most simplest feed mechanism because it uses linked ammunition just like typical machine gun. There is no need to come up with sophisticated linkless feed system; you just need an ammo drum and a single flexible feed chute.
Even if you managed to redesign the magazine and shell collection module
Why shell collection!?
Shell collection is only required for planes and ships where you can't risk empty shells interfering with other systems or Foreign Objects Damage. In case of land application you can simply dump it outside the vehicle.
no way Kestrel shall be able to come up with volume to house it
Okay, let's see

I don't have a detailed drawings of Kestrel, but here's a Pandur II, and remember it's slightly smaller than Kestrel.
IMG_20230421_145110.jpg

That red box it the approximate minimum area you can get inside the crew compartment; 1500x1500x3000mm.
And this is the ammunition drum of GAU-8 (the original dimensions are in inches; I considered the max in mm)
IMG_20230421_144850.png

Moreover, GAU-8's drum is complicated (it's hydraulic powered, linkless feeding, closed loop feeding where empty shells are re-fed in the drum) hence big and heavy. You can easily make it smaller by using electromechanical actuator, linked ammunition and open loop feeding.
Nah, your design is not practicable for the simple reason that there is not enough room in the hulls of any of the existing armored vehicles to house the entire system. A much better solution would be to mount it on a trailer, just like the Americans did with C-RAM.
Hmm...aage bolein Prabhu

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Are you saying communication channel is not custom encrypted?
In most cases; no.
These things are very (i) small and (ii) low cost to have any kind of encrypted datalink. Sure you have encrypted datalink on high-end LMs like Harop but on most cases there's none.

It's also one of the reasons why good old EW based anti-drone systems prove the most effective against these.

AnantS

Country flag
In most cases; no.
These things are very (i) small and (ii) low cost to have any kind of encrypted datalink. Sure you have encrypted datalink on high-end LMs like Harop but on most cases there's none.

It's also one of the reasons why good old EW based anti-drone systems prove the most effective against these.
yeas even isees fighters or was it iran were able to hack drones transmission who were using commercial encryption iirc some years back. still having range of 15 km and above.. i think these need to have good encryption. lest -- somebody jams and spoofs overrides to turn back drone against launcher.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
can't be detected by radars
Actually they can be very easily detected by X and Ku band radars and also very conveniently engaged with air-burst munitions like those currently being tested with Bushmaster and M230 systems.

But the problem is, we're currently caught with our pants down. We had never imagined that duct taping a PG-7 warhead on a COTS FVP racing drone is going to be so revolutionary that even MBTs are going to get vulnerable. It's like allied facing V2s in World War 2; definitely it's a nuisance as of now but in hardly an year or two you'll have matured systems like Stryker SHORAD and Raytheon Coyote - 4.

AnantS

Country flag
I can come up with details mate. I can even spend 3-4 hours in Fusion360 can come up with dimensions accurate up to 1/10th of a millimetres. I can do a FEA analysis of that design to highlight the stress areas where you would need reinforcement...but what would be the benefit of all that effort? Just few guys on DFI agreeing on my idea and one or two people appreciating it. That's it.
🙂

Well here comes the beauty of Russian systems...they are simple AF. Compared to other Gatling style guns AK-630 has one of the most simplest feed mechanism because it uses linked ammunition just like typical machine gun. There is no need to come up with sophisticated linkless feed system; you just need an ammo drum and a single flexible feed chute.

Why shell collection!?
Shell collection is only required for planes and ships where you can't risk empty shells interfering with other systems or Foreign Objects Damage. In case of land application you can simply dump it outside the vehicle.

Okay, let's see

I don't have a detailed drawings of Kestrel, but here's a Pandur II, and remember it's slightly smaller than Kestrel.
View attachment 201282
That red box it the approximate minimum area you can get inside the crew compartment; 1500x1500x3000mm.
And this is the ammunition drum of GAU-8 (the original dimensions are in inches; I considered the max in mm)
View attachment 201283
Moreover, GAU-8's drum is complicated (it's hydraulic powered, linkless feeding, closed loop feeding where empty shells are re-fed in the drum) hence big and heavy. You can easily make it smaller by using electromechanical actuator, linked ammunition and open loop feeding.

Hmm...aage bolein Prabhu
Again you wont get cuboid space as complete empty. Its shall have its wedges and humps to contend with. Can you show an example where its been done on similar platform - even for GAU-8? The power required to operate radar and space required for ammo reloads and mechanism - shall always make tractor trailer based soln much better option.

Sachinananda

Fuck this issue is damn too big
We can't pay 2 billion dollars and 10 billion dollars spares and equipments is not being delivered by Russia for which India might pay latter
Iaf worse hit
And no solution seems to erupt
It's denting our war fighting capabilities to large extent it seems

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles