DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Karthi

Country flag
why such a substance used in the first place?? Any similarity in function like the depleted U-plates used on M1-Abrams?? Or to increase the DoP?
MILAN ATGM is fitted with an encapsulated IR heat radiator with an activity of 10 Kilobecquerels (kBq) which is believed to have Thorium. Probably dangerous for the gunners also

Karthi

Country flag
Hot bonder .jpg

Hot bonder is a special purpose equipment that enables in situ bonded repair of Aircraft/Helicopter structures, wind turbine blades and other advanced composite structures. Multi zone hot bonder enables bonded repairs, simultaneously at multiple locations, while maintaining the temperature uniformity. Using this feature one can carry out, large and complex repairs along with test coupons with very good cure quality.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Rci along with Nal devoloping a 2.5 kn turbojet engine . From the tender document it is clear that the engine is for a air lunched cruise missile....now question is that for which missile is the engine for????? I have some theory abaout that....1)it is for nasm-mr. a 2.5 kn engine will suite for a 600-700 kg. Missile.a 600-700 kg missile with 200 kg warhead and turbojet engine will have a range about 300 km,which is medium range and generely for anti ship missile turbojet engine prefered due to beter speed......2)I have a wild prediction that rudram2 will be a cruise missile (stealth maybe like scalp). A 600-700 kg missile with 200 kg. warhead and turbojet engine will achive it's stated range 330 km,as turbojet engine decrease missile range to give better speed.....3)if my second theory get right then it may possible that nasm-mr and rudram2 same missile with different role......post your opinions on these theories
I think DRDO is developing 3 missile turbo fans
3.75-4kn
2.5-2.75kn
1kn

Which may be used in:-
Nirbhay equivalent to Tomhawk
NASM-MR equivalent to Harpoon
Some new unknown missile of 200kg weight range

Bajirao

Country flag
3.75-4kn
2.5-2.75kn
1kn

From where did you know about the 1kn engine????

Karthi

Country flag
S-BAND POLARIMETRIC DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR.jpg

S-Band Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar (DWR) developed by BEL

The S-Band DWR Mk II System has been developed by BEL based on the technology inputs from ISRO. This has been developed as a part of the national effort (involving IMD, ISRO, NAL & BEL) in positioning a network of Doppler Weather Radars across the entire country and thereby ensuring effective weather forecasts throughout the country.

This radar provides long range weather surveillance up to 500 kms. It operates in S-band and is capable of detecting and estimating the parameters of cyclone and other severe weather conditions. This Radar can forecast severe weather conditions so that necessary preventive steps could be taken to alleviate the impact of such natural disasters in terms of loss of life and property.

Dual Polarimetric capability has been incorporated for effective rainfall estimation.

This coherent radar estimates three weather base products like, reflectivity (Z), mean velocity (V) and spectral width (σ) in single polarization mode. In Dual Polarisation mode, the radar estimates additional base products like, Differential Reflectivity (Zdr), Differential Phase Shift (φdp) and Correlation Co-efficient (ρ). Various primary & secondary weather data products for meteorological & aviation applications are generated using these base products.

Bajirao

Country flag
3.75-4kn
2.5-2.75kn
1kn

What do you think about recent report by ananth krishnan m in defexpo abaout a longer range new cruise missile for navy called 'lrlacm' . is this missile going to be in russian calibr class?? For that drdo have to devolop a new engine in about 8-9 kn class...

Karthi

Country flag
COASTAL SURVEILLANCE RADAR.jpg

Coastal Surveillance Radar.

The radar systems are capable of detecting small targets like rubber boats to quite large and nearby targets, with an ability to handle a large dynamic range of signals in addition to being able to suppress clutter.

21 feet antenna with switchable polarization, dual unit frequency diversity X-band radar (referred to a X-band radar) or a combination of Dual unit frequency diversity X-band radar and a Single S-band radar (referred to a X/S band radar)

Features such as programmable Pulse Repetition Frequency, programmable Pulse Width and random stagger are available to enable task-specific set-up of the Receiver- Transmitter.

The radars are characterized by high resolution, wide receiver dynamic range, noise reduction facilities, built-in test equipment and the ability to perform remote servicing activities. Frequency (and time) Diversity is used in the X-band radar to de-correlate sea clutter, eliminate small target fluctuations, reduce multi path (lobing) effects and thereby improved detection of small targets at all ranges.

Digital FTC, sweep-to-sweep correlation (white noise suppression), sweep-to-sweep integration are used to improve signal-to-noise ratio.

Target Trackers optimized for marine applications for all weather detection and tracking of small targets in cluttered environments.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
By my understanding isn't ofb a glorified factory that does not even excel in those terms like when compared to private manufacturing units.they seem to have problems in manufacturing in numbers,in time and also have the political problems of unions as far as I have heard about them.

And in terms of research and innovation they are often conflated with india premier research and development organizations such as drdo,isro,etc.
So when they develop something ofb also seems to get credit as if a private company cannot set up the capital to manufacture these items such as guns,etc.

I am glad that many private manufacturing companies will be replacing them and only hope they are indian origin companies and startups.manufacturing screwdriver level of expertise is not a national asset.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
By my understanding isn't ofb a glorified factory that does not even excel in those terms like when compared to private manufacturing units.they seem to have problems in manufacturing in numbers,in time and also have the political problems of unions as far as I have heard about them.

And in terms of research and innovation they are often conflated with india premier research and development organizations such as drdo,isro,etc.
So when they develop something ofb also seems to get credit as if a private company cannot set up the capital to manufacture these items such as guns,etc.

I am glad that many private manufacturing companies will be replacing them and only hope they are indian origin companies and startups.manufacturing screwdriver level of expertise is not a national asset.
Currently manufacturing is moving away from OFB.
IA recently placed a order for 1 million rucksacks to wildcraft which were previously manufactured by OFB.
I don't know about OFB rucksack but I have been using Wildcraft bag for 5 years now and not a single tear even after my rough use only the colour has dulled a bit.

Punj Lyold is having a JV with IAI, they'll be manufacturing Tavors here.

But more commendable are Companies like SSS which have developed a sniper platform without much help from govemenet(Punj Lyold gets backing from current gov).
They are entering ammunition manufacturing business as well along with one of Worlds biggest ammunition corporation.
They'll throw out OFB monopoly on ammunition very soon if things go right.

Kalyani can also manufacture Artillery shells. In fact they did supplied IA 1 lakh shell in a short duration during Kargil after they ran out of ammunition. This isn't the first time army ran out of shell all thanks to OFB.

[/URL]

If SSS defence CEOs commnet is taken under consideration than we can say that OFBs ammunition isn't even upto NATO standards.

Akula

Country flag
View attachment 46507

S-Band Polarimetric Doppler Weather Radar (DWR) developed by BEL

The S-Band DWR Mk II System has been developed by BEL based on the technology inputs from ISRO. This has been developed as a part of the national effort (involving IMD, ISRO, NAL & BEL) in positioning a network of Doppler Weather Radars across the entire country and thereby ensuring effective weather forecasts throughout the country.

This radar provides long range weather surveillance up to 500 kms. It operates in S-band and is capable of detecting and estimating the parameters of cyclone and other severe weather conditions. This Radar can forecast severe weather conditions so that necessary preventive steps could be taken to alleviate the impact of such natural disasters in terms of loss of life and property.

Dual Polarimetric capability has been incorporated for effective rainfall estimation.

This coherent radar estimates three weather base products like, reflectivity (Z), mean velocity (V) and spectral width (σ) in single polarization mode. In Dual Polarisation mode, the radar estimates additional base products like, Differential Reflectivity (Zdr), Differential Phase Shift (φdp) and Correlation Co-efficient (ρ). Various primary & secondary weather data products for meteorological & aviation applications are generated using these base products.
I think Uttarakhand is getting 2 or 3 Doppler radar for weather forecasts.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Currently manufacturing is moving away from OFB.
IA recently placed a order for 1 million rucksacks to wildcraft which were previously manufactured by OFB.
I don't know about OFB rucksack but I have been using Wildcraft bag for 5 years now and not a single tear even after my rough use only the colour has dulled a bit.

Punj Lyold is having a JV with IAI, they'll be manufacturing Tavors here.

But more commendable are Companies like SSS which have developed a sniper platform without much help from govemenet(Punj Lyold gets backing from current gov).
They are entering ammunition manufacturing business as well along with one of Worlds biggest ammunition corporation.
They'll throw out OFB monopoly on ammunition very soon if things go right.

Kalyani can also manufacture Artillery shells. In fact they did supplied IA 1 lakh shell in a short duration during Kargil after they ran out of ammunition. This isn't the first time army ran out of shell all thanks to OFB.

[/URL]

If SSS defence CEOs commnet is taken under consideration than we can say that OFBs ammunition isn't even upto NATO standards.
Don't you think the deliberate shortages of essentials, ammunition, and equipment caused by OFB and DPSU for so many years in spite of firm orders and budgetory allocations going to the extent of stalling operations and severely degrading India's ability to use military options specially against Pakistani terrorism need to be investigated by a National Military Commission... the role played by people like the Family, St Antony and Chiddu will also become very clear. Many bureaucrats would be found out.....

Last edited:

Karthi

Country flag
Bitter Coil For India's Magnetic Rail Gun.

Bitter coil configuration with the current flow.jpg

Bitter coil configuration with the current flow directions in the components

Bitter Coil current & field distribution analysis.jpg

Bitter Coil current & field distribution analysis using static analysis. 150 kA Pulsed current is considered for analysis.

Bitter coil components and assembly.jpg

Bitter coil components and assembly

Bitter Coil of 24 µH at 400 Hz. This has 8 mΩ DC.jpg

Bitter Coil of 24 µH at 400 Hz. This has 8 mΩ DC resistance and weight of 68 kg.

The coil under development was designed with circular disks made from sheet metal of copper or copper alloys. The structure is found to be simple in construction. The Bitter discs used are of considerably broad size with large surface area. This results in the reduction of stress concentration, preventing structural failure. It is having other advantage of adjusting the inductance by varying the number of bitter plates. The assembly involves only nut-bolt arrangement and hence the process of assembling and dis- assembling is easy. Also it does not involve sophisticated machining or winding/ twisting of thick metallic blocks.

Bitter discs are to be separated by suitable insulator. As the parallel discs are carrying currents of peak value of 150 kA in the same direction, the insulator plates introduced between them experience tremendous compressive force. Insulator material is suitably selected so as to survive such compressive stress. Along with that it should be ensured that it should sustain disc-to disc potential difference, without leading to voltage breakdown.

tsunami

Country flag
Bitter Coil For India's Magnetic Rail Gun.

View attachment 46566

Bitter coil configuration with the current flow directions in the components

View attachment 46567

Bitter Coil current & field distribution analysis using static analysis. 150 kA Pulsed current is considered for analysis.

View attachment 46568

Bitter coil components and assembly

View attachment 46569

Bitter Coil of 24 µH at 400 Hz. This has 8 mΩ DC resistance and weight of 68 kg.

The coil under development was designed with circular disks made from sheet metal of copper or copper alloys. The structure is found to be simple in construction. The Bitter discs used are of considerably broad size with large surface area. This results in the reduction of stress concentration, preventing structural failure. It is having other advantage of adjusting the inductance by varying the number of bitter plates. The assembly involves only nut-bolt arrangement and hence the process of assembling and dis- assembling is easy. Also it does not involve sophisticated machining or winding/ twisting of thick metallic blocks.

Bitter discs are to be separated by suitable insulator. As the parallel discs are carrying currents of peak value of 150 kA in the same direction, the insulator plates introduced between them experience tremendous compressive force. Insulator material is suitably selected so as to survive such compressive stress. Along with that it should be ensured that it should sustain disc-to disc potential difference, without leading to voltage breakdown.
Garibo ki bhasha me samjhao bhai.... how good it is for weaponization.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles