DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Lol, infantry is far from getting optics.
Lol, infantry is far from getting optics.
Atleast write coherent posts and back them with evidence.

So far Army's new SIG SAUER 716i Battle Rifles have been seen with 5 different optical sights
1) BEL Holographic
2) EOTECH 512 Holographic
3) ZEISS RSA-S Red Dot
4) TRIJICON 3.5×35 ACOG
5) MEPRO MINI HUNTER Night Vision
1,2 & 3 were already in service while 4 & 5 are new.

Chinmoy

Country flag
If we are developing the ramjet ourselves , why is the missile needed to be jv ??
Because anything designed under BRAHMOS banner would mean a investment of 49.5% from Russia. When you talk about this new engine, it has Russian component in it. It is a known fact that in Brahmos, the engine would always be Russian.

SavageKing456

Country flag
Y'all nibbiars would filing an RTI give us info about the status of programs?
Like amca and Co

THESIS THORON

Country flag
i some times think that babus should be removed from defence related all stuff and instead of that goi should give another way around that administrative service officer (for defence related things) will be chosen from army itself after one completes 5 yrs of posting in sensitive areas in this way atleast some of corruption will be eliminated and they will also know what are problems in army.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Dude, sorry but you are completely misinformed about some basic facts on small arms procurement.

• SIG 716I

Essentially it is an AR-10 (7.62x51mm NATO) rifle which is perfect for Indian Army in mountain warfare. Pakis use G3 (7.62X51mm NATO) which has greater stopping power and overall greater range than AKM (7.62X39mm) and INSAS/TAVOR/M4A1 (5.56x45mm NATO) and consequently outgun us at LOC.

Keep in mind Pakis and Chinks will use LVL III and LVL IV Armor Plates in any conflict in the next 5-6 years just like us. As LOC and LAC has shown, engagement distances will be 400m+ with the SIG 716I being overkill, having pretty decent controllable automatic fire (much better than G3, FN FAL) in CQB.

The US Military in the future will use the (6.8x43mm NATO (?)) because of the above reason. The interesting thing is that the 6.8x43mm has better ballistics than 7.62x51mm at ranges beyond 700m and is much lighter, almost by 40%, with just 20% less Kinetic Energy than 7.62x51mm.

Now here is where things get very interesting.

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-fire-a-...bolt-action-rifle-without-changing-the-barrel

For now 6.8x43mm is not in production anywhere so 7.62x51mm can easily do the job until the late 2020s to 2030-31-ish.

Thus as long as you have different bore barrels for the Sig 716I, you have a readymade multicaliber gun. Looks like GPL treatment by then COAS (now CDS) forced the Indian Army to make the right choice!

I will post on the CQB Carbine RFI later.
Slight correction:

US is trying out 6.8*51 mm round which is different from 6.8*43 Remington SPC round.

fooLIam

i some times think that babus should be removed from defence related all stuff and instead of that goi should give another way around that administrative service officer (for defence related things) will be chosen from army itself after one completes 5 yrs of posting in sensitive areas in this way atleast some of corruption will be eliminated and they will also know what are problems in army.
🙄You are making assumption that army brass is free of dalali.
It's called ecosystem for reason. Army,DPSU, dalals,media, politician,babu's etc all have few agents/dalla to compromise indigenious capability.

fooLIam

There are many solution to it though. But every solution requires right people at the top , being bold and clear thought process will make process a bit faster.
One solution is keep tweaking policy untill you find right solution.it will take time but spice of democracy,indefinite amount of enemy and traitors is putting this method in stress past passable limits.

Second one which i like personally is soviet or chinese style, go all gun blazing on gernails ,and give incentive to achivers. Ruin career of peoole who don't give results.

Third one is involve private industry,give them gibs, hold their hand and let them lobby for their products and *joke*tell them every dalla likes either natasha,galina or jennifer,mary 😂 so keep supply of them *joke*

Killbot

Country flag
It will work exactly the same. Sig 716I is Indian Army's first multi caliber rifle, whether by design or coincident.
What "multi caliber rifle"? 716i is a 7.62*51mm caliber rifle. No other calibers. If you mean upper receiver can be swapped, that does not make it a multi caliber rifle.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
What "multi caliber rifle"? 716i is a 7.62*51mm caliber rifle. No other calibers. Unless you mean upper reciever can be swapped, which does not make it a multi caliber rifle.
Theoretically you can convert it to 6.8x51mm ammunition, which is what SIG SAUER rep has mentioned that only the barrel needs to be changed for the NGSW to fire 7.62x51mm ammo,as everything else is common for both calibers except the barrel, so there’s not much stopping anyone from converting the SIG NGSW and theoretically the SIG 716 as they’re built on a similar design platform.
Watch the video.
BIG DISCLAIMER, THIS IS ONLY THEORETICAL.

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
Theoretically you can convert it to 6.8x51mm ammunition, which is what SIG SAUER has mentioned that only the barrel needs to be changed for the rifles to fire 7.62x51mm ammo, so there’s not much stopping anyone from converting the SIG NGSW and theoretically the SIG 716 as they’re built on a common design platform.
Watch the video.
And what about the chamber, BCG, feeding mechanism, etc? Also, changing the barrel (along with all the mentioned systems) isn't as easy as it sounds.

What "common design platform"? Do your research on the internals.

NGSW is a SIG MCX. It's barrel assembly is completely different from the AR-10 that is SIG-716i, allowing for easy barrel change. Not the same weapon system at all. The only way for 716i to be chambered in 6.8*51mm is to design a new upper receiver. Existing magazines should hold 6.8mm as well.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
And what about the chamber, BCG, feeding mechanism, etc? Also, changing the barrel (along with all the mentioned systems) isn't as easy as it sounds.

NGSW is a SIG MCX. It's barrel assembly is completely different from the AR-10 that is SIG-716i, allowing easy barrel change. Not the same weapon system at all. The only way for 716i to be chambered in 6.8*51mm is to design a new upper receiver. Existing magazines should hold 6.8mm as well.
I’ve edited my post just now as I’d left something out, the Sig Sauer rep in the video said that except for the barrel everything else is common for both calibers of ammunition.

Global Defence

Articles