DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Read somewhere that there are plans to attach a booster rocket to SAAW, which will increase the range to 150 km.

Hope they look at IR seeker as well.

Imagine a scenario where multiple SAAW can be launched from AURA 100 KM away, to take out MMG & sniper positions 10-15 Km ahead of advance party of IBG.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I'd chip in with my two penny here before @porky_kicker kicks in. In context of a ship, one has to keep in mind the displacement. An AShM (BRAHMOS in our case) weighs in 3 tons. So a 16 missile configuration means a gross weight of 3x16=48 ton. This is jus the missile weight. Launchers would weight another couple of tons and bring it to 60 ton. Now this is significant displacement for just one system only and we know the kind of other system and subsystem a guided missile destroyer or frigate carries.

But just chill, in our case ships like Kolkata and Vizag class are modular in design. There is space for increment of armament in future.
And, why don't we use Missile boats anymore?

They were very successful in India's past naval actions & could be effective coastal defence in a swarm... Position of bases in A&N Maldives & Arabian isles would also allow them to operate in all South Asian green waters.
Their range isn't necessarily that low;
With armament equivalent of 2-3 truck-mounted missile launchers, a 250-500t boat would also have very low RCS but can kill even Aircraft carrier from few hundred kilometres away!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag

They were very successful in India's past naval actions & could be effective coastal defence in a swarm... Position of bases in A&N Maldives & Arabian isles would also allow them to operate in all South Asian green waters.
With armament equivalent of 2-3 truck-mounted missile launchers, a 250-500t boat would also have very low RCS but can kill even Aircraft carrier from few hundred kilometres away!
Times have changed, india is taking responsibility for entire Indian Ocean now.

Missile boats strategy was valid when we had only Pakistan in our sights, but now it’s entire Indian Ocean.

Atleast for now can’t have boats which hug to the shore, since we have air power to take care of near shore defence.

For now Talwar class is good enough.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Missile boats are good for littoral warfare not for deep sea warfare of today's world.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Times have changed, india is taking responsibility for entire Indian Ocean now.

Missile boats strategy was valid when we had only Pakistan in our sights, but now it’s entire Indian Ocean.

Atleast for now can’t have boats which hug to the shore, since we have air power to take care of near shore defence.

For now Talwar class is good enough.
Missile boats are good for littoral warfare not for deep sea warfare of today's world.
Yes I know...But Karachi & Gwadar are right next door, still very much there.
And unlike the '70s considering ^that Taiwanese new missile-boat, a range of 2000Nm (3700+km) is huge! Then there are our our bases in A&N, Maldives & Arabian Sea isles would also allow them to refuel.

Wouldn't they be cheap & quick to build up numbers? With 6 Varunastra/Prahar/LRSAM & 2 AK-630 they seem very capable of becoming low risk-high bang assets!

Last edited:

fire starter

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And unlike the '70s considering ^that Taiwanese new missile-boat, a range of 2000Nm (3700+km) is huge! Then there are our our bases in A&N, Maldives & Arabian Sea isles would also allow them to refuel.

Wouldn't they be cheap & quick to build up numbers? With 6 Varunastra/Prahar/LRSAM & 2 AK-630 they seem very capable of becoming low risk-high bang assets!
don't u think we should have INDIAN ARMY ROCKET FORCE (IARF) it would be very destructive during the war.

Chinmoy

Country flag

When talking of a boat, we need both offensive as well as defensive aspect in it. A missile boat is good in offensive, but lacks in defensive aspect. A destroyer or frigate is much more suited to us in that respect. Taiwan do need numbers to face PLAN threat in their backyard, so it suits them. NoKo can't afford Destroyers or Frigates in numbers and so missile boats are a cheap alternative for them.
But that is not our case. Our need is different then Taiwan or NoKo.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Read somewhere that there are plans to attach a booster rocket to SAAW, which will increase the range to 150 km.

Hope they look at IR seeker as well.

Imagine a scenario where multiple SAAW can be launched from AURA 100 KM away, to take out MMG & sniper positions 10-15 Km ahead of advance party of IBG.
Rocket booster ?
Or
Micro turbo jet ?

I posted the pic of micro turbo jet i think

Note the portion underlined in red

View attachment 41321

Max range without propulsion ( gliding with wings )

Does this imply there is a powered propulsion version ?

View attachment 41322

Micro turbo jet under testing , this could be utilised if powered version of ASB-glide exists for even greater range etc

porky_kicker

Country flag
I believe i know how the AD series exo atmospheric interceptor is going to look like .

More or less like this ( for lack of suitable examples ) and the pic is very grainy

Sprint-i-box.jpg

American sprint

The sides will be more gradually inclined ( not as sharp as in sprint ) though and will have 2 sets of rear fins

The drdo exo atmospheric interceptor is going to be a very high speed missile . I am guessing anywhere between 6-10 Mach.

As for the AD series endo atmospheric interceptor the pic of the unknown missile launcher with six unknown missiles which i posted long time back is the one ( not 100% sure )

@Kuntal if you willing to make model i will send you the pic , it is very grainy pic though

Last edited:

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
As for the AD series endo atmospheric interceptor the pic of the unknown missile launcher with six unknown missiles which i posted long time back is the one
Link to the post please..
Between any news on wheen AD-1 AD-2 testing gonna start... ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
I believe i know how the AD series exo atmospheric interceptor is going to look like .

@Kuntal if you willing to make model i will send you the pic , it is very grainy pic though
Ignore the above post in previous page

I did some staring at the grainy pic i had

I realised the darn thing looks like PDV

Due to optical illusion and grainy
quality i got fooled

ss.png

Sorry for the bother

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
I'd chip in with my two penny here before @porky_kicker kicks in. In context of a ship, one has to keep in mind the displacement. An AShM (BRAHMOS in our case) weighs in 3 tons. So a 16 missile configuration means a gross weight of 3x16=48 ton. This is jus the missile weight. Launchers would weight another couple of tons and bring it to 60 ton. Now this is significant displacement for just one system only and we know the kind of other system and subsystem a guided missile destroyer or frigate carries.

But just chill, in our case ships like Kolkata and Vizag class are modular in design. There is space for increment of armament in future.

BTW, PRAHAR is not and AShM. Its a SSM and weights less then half of BRAHMOS. A BRAHMOS launcher carrier just 3 missiles.
Brahmos vls from its brochure
On rajput class destroyer i think

AddText_01-18-02.55.57.jpg

Articles