DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

porky_kicker

Country flag
Anybody know what this is ? Panaromic sight of some kind ?

My guess

Blue one - antenna for communication , part of BMS ( advanced land navigation system ) . BMS display ( bottom portion ) and vertical portion covered in cloth is antenna ( it is in raised position , in stowed position it will fold backwards ). It can store more than 250 waypoints and predefined routes etc.

Red one - commanders display for
Thermal Imaging Fire Control Systems (TIFCS)

Last edited:

porky_kicker

Country flag
My guess

Blue one - antenna for communication , part of BMS ( advanced land navigation system ) . BMS display ( bottom portion ) and vertical portion covered in cloth is antenna ( it is in raised position , in stowed position it will fold backwards ). It can store more than 250 waypoints and predefined routes etc.

Red one - commanders display for
Thermal Imaging Fire Control Systems (TIFCS)
Just for clarification , i am not too sure about the blue circle being the BMS display / comms antenna.

There is a good chance that the display is for the live combat training system for TIFCS .

EOD-o3JUEAAbWUF.jpeg

Note this pic the rod like structure looks same as the ADTL sensor module of its live combat training system for TIFCS and the display could be part of the same. Also note display structure is on top of turret exposed , why would a tank for combat have its displays not inside turret ?

Unless these tanks are only for crew training

Just my guess

Last edited:

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Just for clarification , i am not too sure about the blue circle being the BMS display / comms antenna.

There is a good chance that the display is for the live combat training system for TIFCS .

View attachment 41611

Note this pic the rod like structure looks same as the ADTL sensor module of its live combat training system for TIFCS and the display could be part of the same. Also note display structure is on top of turret exposed , why would a tank for combat have its displays not inside turret ?

Unless these tanks are only for crew training

Just my guess
Some one said helina evaluation trial is going to happen this year...

Your opinion

porky_kicker

Country flag
I always used to wonder the absence of integrated comms element in the Indian TELs .

Comms in strategic systems are very vital and have to be redundant , failsafe and with back up.

Guess what i found there is a mobile comm system running around and that is all i will say. And quite interesting at that .

Long time back i read a drdo paper discussing ways to maintain viable comms with higher elements even under nuclear effect including within the zone of a blast .

porky_kicker

Country flag
Agni assembly.jpg

That's AGNI 3

And the guys are huddled around the payload section. Note the exposed rear section of payload portion.

Compare the same with this

1-16-0.jpg

Reaction control system and velocity trimming package for the payload

Only difference is this one is for Agni 1 and the former a modified version is for Agni 3.

@Chinmoy

Remember we were once discussing what those holes were in the Agni 3 nose ?

Those holes are vents for the thrusters / retro motors of the payload bus RCS and VTP.

Last edited:

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
You all might have seen this picture

View attachment 41696

To the best of my knowledge i believe this launcher is for naval platforms.
Been looking at a few surface ships from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China etc. One thing that caught my attention is the presence of inclined launchers arranged in a criss-cross manner. While an inclined launcher doesn't give you the packing efficiency of a VLS it does allow you to pack in a lot of missiles without having to worry about deck penetration. Also having inclined launchers will increase RCS compared to a VLS.

I've been wondering if we can get an inclined launch system for the RBU-6000 on our ships, Clearly the Navy is in no mood of replacing them and they do bring some good advantages. The launcher isn't very stealthy as is. I wonder if we can use a launcher like that to carry the RBU-6000 in an inclined manner. That way we can minimize if not totally remove the under deck space consumption. May be in time we can get other missiles that size on board too. Like say SANT to deal with small armed naval boat.

What missile do you think this launcher will carry ?

porky_kicker

Country flag
Been looking at a few surface ships from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China etc. One thing that caught my attention is the presence of inclined launchers arranged in a criss-cross manner. While an inclined launcher doesn't give you the packing efficiency of a VLS it does allow you to pack in a lot of missiles without having to worry about deck penetration. Also having inclined launchers will increase RCS compared to a VLS.

I've been wondering if we can get an inclined launch system for the RBU-6000 on our ships, Clearly the Navy is in no mood of replacing them and they do bring some good advantages. The launcher isn't very stealthy as is. I wonder if we can use a launcher like that to carry the RBU-6000 in an inclined manner. That way we can minimize if not totally remove the under deck space consumption. May be in time we can get other missiles that size on board too. Like say SANT to deal with small armed naval boat.

What missile do you think this launcher will carry ?
The L&T IRL is generally used in salvo mode to destroy incoming torpedos / break their guidence wire / spoof their onboard sonar transducers.

Larsen & Toubro-developed & built IRL-2.jpg

It is not an one on one weapon system,
Since it is basically an unguided system , probability of kill increases with the no of rockets fired at a given target .

As a result fast reloading of expended rounds is required with an automated reloading system.

If RBU6000 / IRL is housed in inclined manner ( without deck penetration ie without auto loader ) it will expend it's rockets quickly at a single target and if the hostile torpedo manages to escape , there won't be time available for manual reload inorder to engage the torpedo again at safe distance, before the hostile torpedo impacts the ship. Hence what you asked for is not feasible.

The launcher will in my opinion carry NASM-SR and NASM-MR subsonic AShMs. it will be used by Corvettes , OPVs etc

10782836_photo1577247316894_jpega111a0f7afc8848a84618e8010d377b0.jpeg

Gautam Sarkar

Country flag
It is not an one on one weapon system,
Since it is basically an unguided system , probability of kill increases with the no of rockets fired at a given target .

As a result fast reloading of expended rounds is required with an automated reloading system.

If RBU6000 / IRL is housed in inclined manner ( without deck penetration ie without auto loader ) it will expend it's rockets quickly at a single target and if the hostile torpedo manages to escape , there won't be time available for manual reload inorder to engage the torpedo again at safe distance, before the hostile torpedo impacts the ship. Hence what you asked for is not feasible.
Good point. How many reloads do we carry on our ships ?
The launcher will in my opinion carry NASM-SR and NASM-MR subsonic AShMs. it will be used by Corvettes , OPVs etc
Isn't that missile air-launched ? There will be a ship based version ? If so why not use existing VLS launchers instead of the new inclined launcher. Although the Kamorta class doesn't really have a lot of space for VLS.

I does make sense in that way given the lack of deck space. Most of whatever space is available will be taken up by its AD system. How many of those are you expecting to see on a single Kamorta/Saryu class ? What range are you expecting for the MR version ? The SR version was ranged 200km if I recall correctly.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
BEML has released an RFI/EOI Special Armored Vehicle (SAV) on 4x4 and 6x6 variants.
looks like this is BEML babus wanting to pass time at Defexpo, basically they want to market someone else's product. keep in mind, there is no corresponding RFI from IA...
What a sad state of affairs...
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.42.38 AM.png

Chinmoy

Country flag
@porky_kicker Question:
If a single truck-mounted launcher can carry 6 AShM, why does a comperatively huge warship carry only 8-16?.. How much more space would it consume to simple place 5 such cannisters?!
I'd chip in with my two penny here before @porky_kicker kicks in. In context of a ship, one has to keep in mind the displacement. An AShM (BRAHMOS in our case) weighs in 3 tons. So a 16 missile configuration means a gross weight of 3x16=48 ton. This is jus the missile weight. Launchers would weight another couple of tons and bring it to 60 ton. Now this is significant displacement for just one system only and we know the kind of other system and subsystem a guided missile destroyer or frigate carries.

But just chill, in our case ships like Kolkata and Vizag class are modular in design. There is space for increment of armament in future.

BTW, PRAHAR is not and AShM. Its a SSM and weights less then half of BRAHMOS. A BRAHMOS launcher carrier just 3 missiles.

Articles