DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
true ? , deranged behaviour .

2.86 crore / robot . even PLA uses horses/mules , hope these are the wheeled mules and not legged ones .

Ey wtf these are 1.8 crore each max off the shelf. The whole order for 100 mules should peak around 180-190 crores max. How did they manage to spend an extra 100 crore ??

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
What are you on about?
It is Chinese owned through and through.
Chinese know this that's why they are marketing it as British.
Wait for few years, one day they will surely launch a car in India that is "proudly made in china" and when someone will ask about it's quality, they will say "Better than MG".
I can't even imagine something China owned after the killing they pulled on Galwan.

Damn man. Point of Discussion is quality of MG product for which I have told them it is so far good with no major reliability issues came to know in Social Medias.

I know the original MG died in 2000s and what we have is SAIC designed car selling as MG. All of the badging are over the top and the design languages used where simply not in my taste. (All chinese cars in general except NIO). Whether I will buy it. I don't have any money to buy an car for now. Whether I will buy an MG, nope simply they are not known for their engines-gear combo and driving dynamics.

Hector -- Feel like an Boat. Poor petrol engine. Diesel -- FCA engine.
Astor - Poor engine, gearbox combo.
Gloster - Screwed up gearbox.
Comet -- Better go for Punch now.
MG ZS EV - Again not a fan of its desgin. Just an enlarged hatcback.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
China gives $hit about what world thinks, as the world buy everything from China.
What you have said is correct. The thing is China has such a strong economic foothold is most of the countries in the world that it's not worth getting into a dispute with them other then just mocking and spreading propaganda about the CCP from afar. China is among the top five trading partners of the US, among the top five trading partners of Russia, India, and many more other countries. Though China is a major trading partner, this will not stop another country from going to war with them or vice versa. But the thing is India wants to portray itself as a democratic country, where decisions take years and years to be made, in China, it's exact opposite.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
My observation
1.Subsonic cruise missiles usually being cheaper can be used for more frequent saturation(salvo) missile attacks to overwhelm any defences.

2.If an almost 20 tonnes empty weight F22 Raptor can have an frontal RCS of 0.0001 sq. m (appx)then would it be very difficult to design an stealthy subsonic cruise missile with the RCS of a large bird.
An very low observable subsonic cruise missile could just slip past defensive networks.

Also no air defence system can be 100% effective.
There will be a failure percentage. So cannot rule out an subsonic cruise missile succeeding.

Or send out a barrage of 3 missiles(appx) with two acting as decoys.Perhaps one missile can be configured exclusively for a radar jamming role(Aesa radars are more difficult to jam).One missile can even release chaff to confuse the radar while the actual missile with the warhead approaches from a different direction.
So some options maybe available to increase the chance of success.
BTW its possible to design stealthy missiles (See designs like LRASM from the US), but inherently due to their smaller size missiles can be rather easily detected by radars in the S/L band due to radar resonance (instead of optical reflection like we normally think of detection). This is basically the same effect where some countries (mainly russia) use L band or VHF band radars to detect even F35, F22 easily (though lock is hard) but they cant detect big ones like B2, B21.

Tridev123

Country flag
BTW its possible to design stealthy missiles (See designs like LRASM from the US), but inherently due to their smaller size missiles can be rather easily detected by radars in the S/L band due to radar resonance (instead of optical reflection like we normally think of detection). This is basically the same effect where some countries (mainly russia) use L band or VHF band radars to detect even F35, F22 easily (though lock is hard) but they cant detect big ones like B2, B21.
Isn't it an oxymoron.
Almost everybody believes that the more you reduce the RCS of an aircraft the greater the chances of it going undetected.

Of course it would be very difficult for an aircraft to achieve all round 360 degree stealth. And the heat signature generated by stealth aircraft engines compromises it's ability to hide especially at short ranges where an IR sensor
can work efficiently.

Now coming to the L and S band radars. I am sure that they are not magic bullets to render all very low observable flying objects totally naked and vulnerable.

Both the S and L band radars will have some weaknesses and technical limitations. Please list out the advantages and disadvantages of each type of radar technology.

I believe L band radars suffer from increased ground clutter/noise problems.You can perhaps confirm whether it is true.

Some type of radars can spot very low observable aircraft but cannot track it accurately enough to generate a firing solution.
Is it not necessary to pinpoint the location of an aircraft for providing the guidance data to an SAM .Especially at ranges where an IR sensor cannot function.

What is the utility of an radar if we cannot shoot down an intruder aircraft.

I believe you are well versed in radar technology knowledge. So I guess we can expect an detailed technical answer for the benefit of all members of the forum.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Isn't it an oxymoron.
Almost everybody believes that the more you reduce the RCS of an aircraft the greater the chances of it going undetected.

Of course it would be very difficult for an aircraft to achieve all round 360 degree stealth. And the heat signature generated by stealth aircraft engines compromises it's ability to hide especially at short ranges where an IR sensor
can work efficiently.

Now coming to the L and S band radars. I am sure that they are not magic bullets to render all very low observable flying objects totally naked and vulnerable.

Both the S and L band radars will have some weaknesses and technical limitations. Please list out the advantages and disadvantages of each type of radar technology.

I believe L band radars suffer from increased ground clutter/noise problems.You can perhaps confirm whether it is true.

Some type of radars can spot very low observable aircraft but cannot track it accurately enough to generate a firing solution.
Is it not necessary to pinpoint the location of an aircraft for providing the guidance data to an SAM .Especially at ranges where an IR sensor cannot function.

What is the utility of an radar if we cannot shoot down an intruder aircraft.

I believe you are well versed in radar technology knowledge. So I guess we can expect an detailed technical answer for the benefit of all members of the forum.
Im not an expert but Ill explain as best I can
You actually named the biggest limitation of large wavelength radars -
They can detect aircraft in a general area, but the accuracy is low enough that SAM systems cannot be used. Exact numbers are not available for obvious reasons, but I think it is accurate enough to act as a ground controler system for guiding your own stealth aircraft.

Another issue is the obscene size of low frequency radars, just a picture to give you some reference

1706345461583.png

Even the newest type of these radars like the one above that are supposed to be more mobile, take a long time to deploy and retract, hence becoming easier targets for SEAD platforms (especially since these radars cant defend themselves with SAMs)

Some russian claims are there about L band radars on SU35s, I find that dubious, but the claim is that they act as a way for aircraft to detect enemy stealth platforms even if they cant combat them.

To be honest, a better way of tracking stealth fighters may be distributed radar systems (transmitters separate from recievers) where you try to catch the radar return after it is bounced off by the aircraft. Though if someone is able to use VHF radars with some processing techniques to actually track stealth platforms even with relatively mediocre accuracy, it might make it possible to target those with SAMs where terminal detection and tracking is done with alternate means.

Even without it, it makes sense to invest in these platforms as early warning radar systems.

Last edited:

Articles