DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Hari Sud

Country flag
One question is that does this dRdO recruitment typically start like UPSC selection where they write an exam or such and get selected not so through actual knowledge like in competitive countries. dont they have any lateral hiring like they go the best guy in market to do the job? or do they dabble among themselves or so.
Whatever the method, scientists are recruited on recommendation and merit.

The key is that DRDO is a government department hence lethargy is in-built into it. Moreover if unsuccessful, you cannot be fired, demoted or disciplined. There is no accountability at all. The bad system perks thru all layers of management and administration. Most ministers who lead it are slogan shouting fools with no idea of DRDO.

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
How is MG comet EV seeing it alot nowdays is it good?

If you are okay with its design and its purpose. It is good in terms of tech and fit and finish which is 2 segments above in terms of quality.

Only dilemma it is overlapping with Tata Tiago EV which is more an car compared to this. But Tiago is not getting great review due to HV error. Team BHP have all the horror stories.

Personally speaking MG cars so far are pretty good in terms of reliability and after sales support. Even better than Tata and Mahindras. Rarely seen post regarding the reliability issues on MG. On the personnal level for me, I never liked their designs (not MG all Chinese Car guys except few).

raju1982

Country flag
Agni V Mk2 and Agni 6 if it exists are definitely not the same
Long back there was mention of Agni VI in one kf the DRDO techfocus as Dr Chander as Project Director which was later removed. But we knew by that time there was a project called Agni VI.

jai jaganath

Country flag
Don’t know about blast furnace I think you might be wrong about that but there were truck load of chinese in their Angul plant in relation to power generating equipment and their maintaince back in the day before covid.
They still require Chinese engineers for their ops wrt blast furnace
I might be wrong coz I have basically no knowledge regarding this
But this is what my relative said that they are heavily dependent of Chinese for ops and troubleshooting
Heck they even hire nitians with 15lpa still those graduates don't recieve any good exposure wrt their work

Blademaster

True but we kinda need the engines as well. What if Kaveri does not become ready by the fall of this decade?? What it'd mean for the AMCA program??
Its Do or Die time. Just as Cortes burned his ships upon landing on the shores of the New World and essentially declared that there is no turning back, we need to burn our ships and declare that there is no turning back. This motivated Cortes' men to win and conquer the New World. This will motivate our soldiers, scientists, engineers, craftsmen, and pilots & techs to do all they can and win.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
True but we kinda need the engines as well. What if Kaveri does not become ready by the fall of this decade?? What it'd mean for the AMCA program??
If Kaveri doesn't become ready in time, we will have to import the power plant for the AMCA from the US, UK or France. I am sure that out of the three countries I mentioned, we will be using American GE series engines to power the initial batches of AMCA. Subsequent Batches will utilise Kaveri or a engine made through a JV with either GE, Safran or Rolls Royce but directly imported though. For now, we need to play our cards well if we want an engine for AMCA, it's not an easy task to maintain a balanced geopolitical stand between the US and Russia, few countries on the planet have the privilege to achieve such a feat, fingers crossed that Kaveri eventually succeeds because jet engine technology=>crucial.

raju1982

Country flag
If Kaveri doesn't become ready in time, we will have to import the power plant for the AMCA from the US, UK or France. I am sure that out of the three countries I mentioned, we will be using American GE series engines to power the initial batches of AMCA. Subsequent Batches will utilise Kaveri or a engine made through a JV with either GE, Safran or Rolls Royce but directly imported though. For now, we need to play our cards well if we want an engine for AMCA, it's not an easy task to maintain a balanced geopolitical stand between the US and Russia, few countries on the planet have the privilege to achieve such a feat, fingers crossed that Kaveri eventually succeeds because jet engine technology=>crucial.
Hypothetically what is the chance of Russia belling us or a JV with them for development of true 5th/6th gen engine? In the line of SFDR. As we know US is biased and very sanction prone like neigbborhood aunty. While UK/France are very expnsive.

Right now Izdaiye-30 is the only high thrust (120Kn++) advance engine outside USA, i guess.

Tridev123

Country flag
I would like to give an quite controversial suggestion.

There is a saying.
If something is very important and necessary.Then to achieve the objective - 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'

Now I am not saying that we do not have the brains to achieve the objective.But sometimes short cuts have to be resorted to to save time.

Set up an exclusive fund of 100 million US dollars (to start with)to enable R&AW to begin efforts to acquire the crucial hot engine technology of high performance turbofan engines.Use covert techniques to bribe,recruit senior scientists in the top aero engine manufacturing companies.

If it is called stealing technology,so be it.

Nothing new.The USSR I believe gained access to nuclear weapons technology by recruitment of senior US/UK scientists.Espionage operations.
The US got an Soviet pilot to defect with an then high technology Mig 25 plane because it wanted access to its technology.

There would have been many many incidents of the US and the then Soviet Union stealing each others technology secrets.It is a fact of international relations.
Morally wrong may be.

Even the pigs next door Pakistan stole gas centrifuge technology for enrichment of uranium from companies/organisations in Europe.The infamous A.Q.Khan network.

If detected, bilateral ties may get affected.I guess an bearable cost if the objective is achieved.

Would it be an impossible task to successfully infiltrate the top turbofan manufacturing companies even though firewalls would have been setup by these organisations.

The alternative is to follow the Chinese.Invest billions of US dollars and set up multiple teams to solve each part of the Turbofan Engine puzzle.
Involve the private sector heavily.Continue heavy funding till we succeed.

Blademaster

I would like to give an quite controversial suggestion.

There is a saying.
If something is very important and necessary.Then to achieve the objective - 'Beg, Borrow or Steal'

Now I am not saying that we do not have the brains to achieve the objective.But sometimes short cuts have to be resorted to to save time.

Set up an exclusive fund of 100 million US dollars (to start with)to enable R&AW to begin efforts to acquire the crucial hot engine technology of high performance turbofan engines.Use covert techniques to bribe,recruit senior scientists in the top aero engine manufacturing companies.

If it is called stealing technology,so be it.

Nothing new.The USSR I believe gained access to nuclear weapons technology by recruitment of senior US/UK scientists.Espionage operations.
The US got an Soviet pilot to defect with an then high technology Mig 25 plane because it wanted access to its technology.

There would have been many many incidents of the US and the then Soviet Union stealing each others technology secrets.It is a fact of international relations.
Morally wrong may be.

Even the pigs next door Pakistan stole gas centrifuge technology for enrichment of uranium from companies/organisations in Europe.The infamous A.Q.Khan network.

If detected, bilateral ties may get affected.I guess an bearable cost if the objective is achieved.

Would it be an impossible task to successfully infiltrate the top turbofan manufacturing companies even though firewalls would have been setup by these organisations.

The alternative is to follow the Chinese.Invest billions of US dollars and set up multiple teams to solve each part of the Turbofan Engine puzzle.
Involve the private sector heavily.Continue heavy funding till we succeed.
There are no shortcuts to the know how and know why. Stealing tech is not a substitute for gaining the know how/why. We have to embark on a massive technological and scientific drive to educate the masses engineers to be and scientists to be and fund their research projects and reward them for doing research. That’s how US retained its technological edge over the rest of the world. We need to bite the bullet and do it.

Super Flanker

Country flag
There are no shortcuts to the know how and know why. Stealing tech is not a substitute for gaining the know how/why. We have to embark on a massive technological and scientific drive to educate the masses engineers to be and scientists to be and fund their research projects and reward them for doing research. That’s how US retained its technological edge over the rest of the world. We need to bite the bullet and do it.
The US didn't invent all its technology by itself though, during the Cold War Era, the US brought in scientists from other nations for its various Weopons development programmes. Also espionage was also a tactic employed by the Americans. It was a common practice between the USSR and USA during the cold war, both sides stole technology and spied on each other.

Heard of Operation/Project paperclip? It was the name of a secret intelligence programme by which engineers, scientists, and technicians from countries such as Germany and Austria would be brought in to the United States after the end of WW2. Also read about Wernher von Braun. He was a German-American aerospace engineer and space architect. The US imports a lot of brain power from outside, India, China, Japan, Korea being some notable examples. This is not to say that Native Whites on the US mainland are not competent or smart by any stretch.

Tridev123

Country flag
The US didn't invent all its technology by itself though, during the Cold War Era, the US brought in scientists from other nations for its various Weopons development programmes. Also espionage was also a tactic employed by the Americans. It was a common practice between the USSR and USA during the cold war, both sides stole technology and spied on each other.

Heard of Operation/Project paperclip? It was the name of a secret intelligence programme by which engineers, scientists, and technicians from countries such as Germany and Austria would be brought in to the United States after the end of WW2. Also read about Wernher von Braun. He was a German-American aerospace engineer and space architect. The US imports a lot of brain power from outside, India, China, Japan, Korea being some notable examples. This is not to say that Native Whites on the US mainland are not competent or smart by any stretch.
Yes, you are not lying.
What is known to the world is only the tip of the iceberg.
What the CIA, the NSA and the Pentagon chaps did over the decades in different parts of the world and in various countries is not at all holy and righteous.
Same applies to the then KGB.

By no stretch of imagination are/were they totally scrupulous and adhered to morals and ethics.

Its a dog eat dog world out there.

Anyway its up to us to make the choices.

mamamia12

Yes, you are not lying.
What the CIA, the NSA and the Pentagon chaps did over the decades in different parts of the world and in various countries is not at all holy and righteous.

By no stretch of imagination are/were they totally scrupulous and adhered to morals and ethics.

They are still stealing on from some prominent German Companies.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Yes, you are not lying.

Ofcourse the public only knows the tip of the iceberg, we may never know what all the CIA, KGB has actually done across the world, unless with time we discover more declassified documents.

But for me, the question is, does India want to go the China way?
Do we want to risk tarnishing our global image as a country just because of a piece of technology?

Look at China. When it comes to stealing technology and cyber espionage, the Chinese are well known for the same throughout the globe. Many years back, there were articles on China stealing data from the F-35 JSF programme for use in their own J-20 stealth fighter programme. China has repeatedly disobeyed international laws and terms and conditions. See what the world thinks of China today, at least the western side of the world. A lot in the west think of the current CCP run China as a brutal dictatorship run country, where you have no freedom of speech, where information is censored left and right and on the verge of collapse, but we all know that the truth is in the middle, or far away from it.

I think what we need to do is attract brain power from all across the world. There are thousands of Indian origin Engineers working for major American defence and aerospace companies such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon being some examples to name a few.

raju1982

Country flag
Ofcourse the public only knows the tip of the iceberg, we may never know what all the CIA, KGB has actually done across the world, unless with time we discover more declassified documents.

Do we want to risk tarnishing our global image as a country just because of a piece of technology?

Look at China. When it comes to stealing technology and cyber espionage, the Chinese are well known for the same throughout the globe. Many years back, there were articles on China stealing data from the F-35 JSF programme for use in their own J-20 stealth fighter programme. China has repeatedly disobeyed international laws and terms and conditions. See what the world thinks of China today, at least the western side of the world. A lot in the west think of the current CCP run China as a brutal dictatorship run country, where you have no freedom of speech, where information is censored left and right and on the verge of collapse, but we all know that the truth is in the middle, or far away from it.

I think what we need to do is attract brain power from all across the world. There are thousands of Indian origin Engineers working for major American defence and aerospace companies such as Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon being some examples to name a few.
China gives $hit about what world thinks, as the world buy everything from China.

mamamia12

You get easier time inviting Gora Sahibs for money than brown sepoys.

TwinTails

Country flag
If you are okay with its design and its purpose. It is good in terms of tech and fit and finish which is 2 segments above in terms of quality.

Only dilemma it is overlapping with Tata Tiago EV which is more an car compared to this. But Tiago is not getting great review due to HV error. Team BHP have all the horror stories.

Personally speaking MG cars so far are pretty good in terms of reliability and after sales support. Even better than Tata and Mahindras. Rarely seen post regarding the reliability issues on MG. On the personnal level for me, I never liked their designs (not MG all Chinese Car guys except few).
What are you on about?
It is Chinese owned through and through.
Chinese know this that's why they are marketing it as British.
Wait for few years, one day they will surely launch a car in India that is "proudly made in china" and when someone will ask about it's quality, they will say "Better than MG".
I can't even imagine something China owned after the killing they pulled on Galwan.

Articles