DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
They should also involve naval tender here with this potential setup of erecting a factory for Rafale here, heck dare i say first 26 ones must be naval jets only - if this setup ever happens
Air Force has already got their 36 Rafales while we have two active carriers sharing some 40-some Mig-29K between them while their capacity is far better than such numbers, let's give them a chance here for Rafale-M and once that order is one Air Force's Rafales can take shape in same factory.

Azaad

Country flag
They should also involve naval tender here with this potential setup of erecting a factory for Rafale here, heck dare i say first 26 ones must be naval jets only - if this setup ever happens
Air Force has already got their 36 Rafales while we have two active carriers sharing some 40-some Mig-29K between them while their capacity is far better than such numbers, let's give them a chance here for Rafale-M and once that order is one Air Force's Rafales can take shape in same factory.
Dassault won't set up a mfg line here for any order < 75 nos, likely more. Ideally we should be ordering 36(54 preferably) + 26 nos for the IAF & IN respectively. They can then proceed with their MRFA tender at leisure.

Since the IN order is being negotiated, let's hope that if the BJP returns to power they'd club both requirements together & place the order before the end of this calendar year.

raju1982

Country flag

Tridev123

Country flag
Ok, now throw your Iphone or Galaxy to dustbin and accept Nokia 3100 as iterative development.

What exactly are you trying to do?.
Demoralize anybody who advocates buying indigenous weapons.
India is not yet an developed country in Science and Technology. Our weapons may not match the best from the developed nations at present.

So we should not buy even a single indigenously designed and developed weapon and rely only on imports.One hundred 100% imported stuff.

Is that what you want.
Are you an peddler for foreign arms manufacturers.

Nobody is stating that imports can be avoided 100%.Because of limitations in our defence R&D we cannot produce all the weapons needed by our Armed Forces.This situation will persist until our scientific capabilities and industrial base matures.Wont take a century.

But if we seek to maintain an independent foreign policy and strategic autonomy, we will need to support indigenous weapons. Even if they are somewhat technically inferior to imported weapons. Subject to minimum standards being met.

Now you want to throw shit on everything and anybody in the country. Okay, the DRDO and the Public Sector defence organisations are very inefficient and useless.

But do you have the right to judge. If you have an Science or Engineering background, why did you not use your genius to join the DRDO or even an Private sector company producing defence systems and improve it's working and productivity.

You probably believe that you are vastly superior to all the chaps in the DRDO/similar organisations.Probably equal to the best Western gora engineers.

Why not make a difference. Do something to help the country. I am not pinpointing you. Most of us make it a full time hobby to criticize others very easily but when asked to shoulder responsibility run away.

If you feel that there is no alternative to importing Israeli or US made UAV in the present situation, you have the right to express your opinion. But also try to encourage our own defence organisations whether in the Public or Private sector to offer alternatives to the imported weapon systems.

After all I am sure you don't want India to keep importing the Hermes UAV system for the next 100 years.Should not an Indian equivalent succeed.

raju1982

Country flag
What exactly are you trying to do?.
Demoralize anybody who advocates buying indigenous weapons.
India is not yet an developed country in Science and Technology. Our weapons may not match the best from the developed nations at present.

So we should not buy even a single indigenously designed and developed weapon and rely only on imports.One hundred 100% imported stuff.

Is that what you want.
Are you an peddler for foreign arms manufacturers.

Nobody is stating that imports can be avoided 100%.Because of limitations in our defence R&D we cannot produce all the weapons needed by our Armed Forces.This situation will persist until our scientific capabilities and industrial base matures.Wont take a century.

But if we seek to maintain an independent foreign policy and strategic autonomy, we will need to support indigenous weapons. Even if they are somewhat technically inferior to imported weapons. Subject to minimum standards being met.

Now you want to throw shit on everything and anybody in the country. Okay, the DRDO and the Public Sector defence organisations are very inefficient and useless.

But do you have the right to judge. If you have an Science or Engineering background, why did you not use your genius to join the DRDO or even an Private sector company producing defence systems and improve it's working and productivity.

You probably believe that you are vastly superior to all the chaps in the DRDO/similar organisations.Probably equal to the best Western gora engineers.

Why not make a difference. Do something to help the country. I am not pinpointing you. Most of us make it a full time hobby to criticize others very easily but when asked to shoulder responsibility run away.

If you feel that there is no alternative to importing Israeli or US made UAV in the present situation, you have the right to express your opinion. But also try to encourage our own defence organisations whether in the Public or Private sector to offer alternatives to the imported weapon systems.

After all I am sure you don't want India to keep importing the Hermes UAV system for the next 100 years.Should not an Indian equivalent succeed.
I am a huge supporter of indigenous weapons and fan of many DRDO scientists and met many of them. I understand the sysrem's fault lines and issues. I am against importing any weapons also. So what is the solution? Rectify the problem. There is no point in inducging outdated weapons.

If we do not acknowledge the issues wirh DRDO/HAL, there will not be much progress in Indian contents in the armed forces.

Ultimately DRDO HAL were made for Armed forces, not vice versa. We need weapon systems of certain calibers to fight China and if DRDO takes decades for even introduing the system, thn India will lose.

WC Abhinandan should have been flying Tejas not Mig-21. Whose fault is that?

Tridev123

Country flag
I am a huge supporter of indigenous weapons and fan of many DRDO scientists and met many of them. I understand the sysrem's fault lines and issues. I am against importing any weapons also. So what is the solution? Rectify the problem. There is no point in inducging outdated weapons.

If we do not acknowledge the issues wirh DRDO/HAL, there will not be much progress in Indian contents in the armed forces.

Ultimately DRDO HAL were made for Armed forces, not vice versa. We need weapon systems of certain calibers to fight China and if DRDO takes decades for even introduing the system, thn India will lose.

WC Abhinandan should have been flying Tejas not Mig-21. Whose fault is that?
Glad to hear that you do indeed support indigenous weapons.
The confusion arose because
I believe that quite a few of the members thought that your poster for @Anirududha Mulay was not very appropriate. It was almost like making fun of the observation by the member. Almost going personal.

Nothing wrong in rooting for iterative development for accepting indigenous weapons. It is a fact that most Staff Qualitative Requirements are very demanding and ambitious, formulated without realistically assessing the current capabilities available in the country. Probably influenced by the specifications of similar products of the Western Arms MNC conglomerates.

Asking the Armed Forces to accept slightly below specification indigenous weapons is not an anti national act. Nobody is asking them to buy grossly inferior weapons. As long as the developer and the manufacturer promise to improve the weapon system in its mk2 version. Within an acceptable time frame. Adequate numbers should be bought to make its manufacture viable.

It is a kind of favoritism and hand holding of indigenous industry. If we don't encourage Indian R&D and Indian industry then who will.

Now most people recognise that there are serious problems with the running of the DRDO. Their success rate is low. I would be happy if even 50% of the projects undertaken reach fruition.As a first step. Leading to the development and manufacture of acceptable quality products and services. Production should be done in the private sector also(min 50%).

By all means reform the DRDO /OFB to increase the efficiency. Nobody is against it.
High performance scientists should receive adequate monetary rewards. Fast track promotions. Similarly those PSU production units which deliver very good quality weapons should be rewarded. Give performance bonuses to the staff of those units.

Meritocracy should win. Mediocrity should be not be encouraged.
This is not an attempt to support the Public Sector. If an private sector company can produce an weapon system with better quality and adhered to timelines and cost effectiveness then the first preference should be given to such a company.

Who really cares if a weapon is produced by a Government Company or a Private Indian company. As long as they are designed, developed and manufactured in India. Nothing wrong even if all defence production shifts to the private sector.

But production of strategic weapons including nuclear weapons should remain with the Government. Undoubtedly. For national security reasons.

But I guess people would expect the private sector to invest adequately in R&D.
Innovate. Not just licensed production. Provide competition to the Global Defence Giants. Become Indian defence MNC's.

Last edited:

sameer3694

raju1982

Country flag
Glad to hear that you do indeed support indigenous weapons.
The confusion arose because
I believe that quite a few of the members thought that your poster for @Anirududha Mulay was not very appropriate. It was almost like making fun of the observation by the member. Almost going personal.

Nothing wrong in rooting for iterative development for accepting indigenous weapons. It is a fact that most Staff Qualitative Requirements are very demanding and ambitious, formulated without realistically assessing the current capabilities available in the country. Probably influenced by the specifications of similar products of the Western Arms MNC conglomerates.

Asking the Armed Forces to accept slightly below specification indigenous weapons is not an anti national act. Nobody is asking them to buy grossly inferior weapons. As long as the developer and the manufacturer promise to improve the weapon system in its mk2 version. Within an acceptable time frame. Adequate numbers should be bought to make its manufacture viable.

It is a kind of favoritism and hand holding of indigenous industry. If we don't encourage Indian R&D and Indian industry then who will.

Now most people recognise that there are serious problems with the running of the DRDO. Their success rate is low. I would be happy if even 50% of the projects undertaken reach fruition.As a first step. Leading to the development and manufacture of acceptable quality products and services. Production should be done in the private sector also(min 50%).

By all means reform the DRDO /OFB to increase the efficiency. Nobody is against it.
High performance scientists should receive adequate monetary rewards. Fast track promotions. Similarly those PSU production units which deliver very good quality weapons should be rewarded. Give performance bonuses to the staff of those units.

Meritocracy should win. Mediocrity should be not be encouraged.
This is not an attempt to support the Public Sector. If an private sector company can produce an weapon system with better quality and adhered to timelines and cost effectiveness then the first preference should be given to such a company.

Who really cares if a weapon is produced by a Government Company or a Private Indian company. As long as they are designed, developed and manufactured in India. Nothing wrong even if all defence production shifts to the private sector.

But production of strategic weapons including nuclear weapons should remain with the Government. Undoubtedly. For national security reasons.

But I guess people would expect the private sector to invest adequately in R&D.
Innovate. Not just licensed production. Provide competition to the Global Defence Giants. Become Indian defence MNC's.
There was nothing personal but i indeed made a joke on him. If you look at couple of his earlier replies to mine they were mostly one liner trolling and personal. So i thought he is used to it. Anyway blocking him now.

Articles