DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Can anyone clearify how many zorawars will be ordered first and for how many orders do they have to fight for with other tanks.

Anupu

Country flag
LoL, if merely stating facts is being labelled as stupidity by members of the forum then so be it.
The IAI Heron has a service ceiling of 30,000ft, but that does not mean it will always be operating at that altitude.

Normally, the operating altitude is significantly lower, somewhere in the ballpark of 24,000ft - 25,000ft.

The Rotax 916 engine powering the Heron is rated for maximum operating altitude of 23,000ft, beyond which there would be a significant drop in performance of the drone which could very well hinder the UAV's operation
Found something regarding Alpha Defence's argument about Rotax engine it's max operating altitude and fuel consumption dumping info here in this thread.

Anupu

Country flag
So I wasted a couple of good hours on this and just wanted to say this out loud here.
This whole ADE fanboys on the internet including the Beta offence gang seem to be twisting up their panties on the cancellation of the Tapas drone.

When confronted with the truth that Tapas Drone has failed to meet the SQRs they claim that this is an import lobby conspiracy since "there is no drone in the world that uses a piston engine flies above 25000ft".

When confronted with the example of drones like Heron and Hermes they claim these numbers are made up and there is absolutely no way "a drone with piston engine can fly above 25000ft"

As evidence to buttress this argument, they use this spec sheet
GDpeuQfW4AADulw.jpg

They claim since the engine "Can't operate beyond 23000 feet" such a drone is impossible.
Now I was initially not that interested in this argument because I wanted to make the point that for an ISR drone the endurance is much more important. Also using twin engines already makes Tapas more expensive than Heron. So I debated with Alpha defence.

First he seems to be fixated on altitude argument, then later when I side stepped it and focused on the endurance he came up with a weird number that 27l/hr is the fuel consumption rate of rotax engine in "ECO MODE" and somehow seemed to argue that this was the minimum fuel consumption rate as well.

This didn't make sense to me, so I digged around and found the operating manual of the rotax engine
here is the link for you guys

Now here is the funny thing I found in this manual "23000ft" is the SAFE max operating altitude. This didn't mean the engine will suddenly shut down beyond this altitude
Take a look at this graph from the operating manual the power hasn't significantly degraded by 23000ft but it makes sense to call it the "SAFE max operating altitude" as this engine is often used by piloted aircraft and there is a risk of engine stalling in unsafe regime. Even a piloted aircraft may accidentally enter an unsafe regime it just needs to quickly return to a safe regime. This shouldn't be much of a risk for drones to begin with.
Screenshot 2024-01-12 215454.png

Second I looked at the fuel consumption and here I found another hole in argument that the endurance can't be 24 hours as fuel burn at eco mode will be 27l/hour. It gets rediculous
This is the fuel flow to power graph from the manual.
Screenshot 2024-01-12 215600.png
onl

Not only you can throttle down fuel consumption way below 27l/hour but theoretically, you can throttle it down to 10l/hr. Which I imagine could be used during cruising. The eco mode is just the most efficient fuel burn rate. As in the rate at which the maximum amount of power is generated per kg of fuel burned.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 215537.png

Since Last 2 weeks the whole so-called Defence experts and defenders of indigenous development have been beating their chest for the failure of Tapas blaming everyone but the design agency that came up with a thoroughly inefficient design. ADE an organisation which seems to me like the naughty PhD student of the lab that the mentor just somehow wants to produce a passable thesis and then just graduate.

The Mentor (DRDO) is now so desperate that it is stealing data from a good-performing student(ADA) and giving it to this dumbass so that he can write at least one publishable paper. context

Want to know your opinion. I am Sick coughing my lungs out. But pissed off at this new moralizing catastrophising indigenous brigade according to which DRDO is somehow this golden thing that can never do anything wrong when we know that the organisation is made up of several labs. Some of them are excellent. Others are busy making MREs and Hand sanitiser depending on their flights of fancy.

They tie all this into a bigger argument Don't Reform DRDO if you do that India will never make anything indigenous. Somehow I don't buy their argument. Thoughts?

Aniruddha Mulay

Can anyone clearify how many zorawars will be ordered first and for how many orders do they have to fight for with other tanks.
Army's total requirement is of 354 tanks.
This is going to split into two batches, 59 tanks which will be the L&T-DRDO designed light tank and the other 295 for which atleast 6-7 vendors will participate in offering their designs under Make-1 of DAP-2020

kaboom

Country flag
I sure hope it doesn't look like this one though. The turret ring is a huge weak spot and the whole thing looks weird af
In this case the turret is mounted on a leopard chassis , as we are developing a whole new chassis around this predeveloped turret i think these weak spots will be designed out .

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Army's total requirement is of 354 tanks.
This is going to split into two batches, 59 tanks which will be the L&T-DRDO designed light tank and the other 295 for which atleast 6-7 vendors will participate in offering their designs under Make-1 of DAP-2020
I just hope we are also working on indigenous turret, gun and other systems for our light tank to be added in future versions.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles