DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Master Chief

Country flag
DRDO restructuring :

A better readout of the restructuring here. I expect the babus and PSU unions to object but looks like the PMO has decided to do it anyways.

So, going by the article, DRDO will lose control of its LABS,it looks like.. These labs probably would be managed by another government entity/entities.. as DRDO will be a funding entity like DARPA..
Now, will this new model extend to Strategic missile programs ?

Also, the OFB were a bigger organization and Modi Government succeeded in restructuring them.. So, whatever the opposition Modi Gov.. Will have its way in the next term.

Last edited:

Master Chief

Country flag
Everyone.. Need your line of thought here..
With the advent of WW1, WW2 style industrial warfare, and the WEST coming up short w.r.t mass production at affordable costs.. and with drained western arms reserves, Modi government has decided to develop Indian defense Industry to cater to NATO standard equipment, thereby opening up a huge market that Indian private and Government entities may access, to become true defense behemoths..

karn

Country flag
Everyone.. Need your line of thought here..
With the advent of WW1, WW2 style industrial warfare, and the WEST coming up short w.r.t mass production at affordable costs.. and with drained western arms reserves, Modi government has decided to develop Indian defense Industry to cater to NATO standard equipment, thereby opening up a huge market that Indian private and Government entities may access, to become true defense behemoths..
It's my perspective that Modi govt saw defence as a business from the start( as in an aspect of economy rather than pure defence) ... The reforms to production side were far more extensive as compared to the procurement part . The way I see it they are trying to follow the French model of funding weapons development with exports .
Alas korea has the same model and they are beating us hollow with it.
Why they are doing this ? We are still a poor country and weapons development is expensive.

Last edited:

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Big Private companies making a fool of the system as of now. Sab ko ToT chahiye but R&D aur manufacturing m invest kisi ko nhi krna.

One would expect whatnot variants and improvements of Whap and its design after its tech was given to Tata and Mahindra but we see the product finish of some local workshop on them.
See the difference between Whap and other wheeled apcs around the world like patria, Eitan, boxer etc's build quality.

If you need more proof, compare Mahindra UAE side firm designed ARMADO and other Indian companies designed armoured cars, most look like stupid boxes without any chance of getting exported.

What is this stupid KG-level drawn car sh*t from Kalyani and on the other hand they are screwdrivergiring the Mmobe M4.
1704986114208.png

1704986565906.png

While DRDO VRDE+BEML designing new cabins for tatra trucks worthy of being called an advancement there but still getting spit on.

1704986952181.png

1704986973149.png

Well then again Indian mindset is a special one, when the ATAGS and MGS be finally getting inducted in large numbers, all will be praising private sector as they did the R&D while like DRDO ARDE had no hand in it.

I for all intent and purposes find the Private cos in case of Whap absolutely DogSh*t and only God knows why it's not getting any orders at all aside from few token purchases.
Aukaat nhi h inki kuch improvement karne ki, let's forget about designing and manufacturing.

Small firms which are have been with drdo from a long time and new entrants as well who are painstakingly doing R&D when their only customer is spoiled for foreign goods forces especially army, are true Atmanirbhar cos. I salute them for standing straight in such an unsupportive environment. 🫡

Btw, why only our apc looks like crap
1704987692549.png

patria apc
1704987741702.png

Belarusian volat v2apc
1704987813605.png

Chinese New 8*8 apc, pre-mass produced model
1704987911092.png

View attachment 236045

Varoon2

Country flag

jai jaganath

Country flag
Dusted now!
With the recent accident which ended up killing 4, no more chance it is getting any order now.
Why
It was due to overloading and over speeding under instruction from uneducated forest babooz
Investigation will validate it and make things clear
Infact pravaig has some sort of deep political connections that's what I have read they will overcome

SKC

Country flag

Varoon2

Country flag
At least there could be another issue apart from the quality of the vehicle. Someone in this forum said a few months ago that there are Pravaig cars on the road, a picture of one in Delhi was shown.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag
Big Private companies making a fool of the system as of now. Sab ko ToT chahiye but R&D aur manufacturing m invest kisi ko nhi krna.

One would expect whatnot variants and improvements of Whap and its design after its tech was given to Tata and Mahindra but we see the product finish of some local workshop on them.
See the difference between Whap and other wheeled apcs around the world like patria, Eitan, boxer etc's build quality.

If you need more proof, compare Mahindra UAE side firm designed ARMADO and other Indian companies designed armoured cars, most look like stupid boxes without any chance of getting exported.

What is this stupid KG-level drawn car sh*t from Kalyani and on the other hand they are screwdrivergiring the Mmobe M4.
View attachment 236044
View attachment 236046

While DRDO VRDE+BEML designing new cabins for tatra trucks worthy of being called an advancement there but still getting spit on.

View attachment 236050
View attachment 236051

Well then again Indian mindset is a special one, when the ATAGS and MGS be finally getting inducted in large numbers, all will be praising private sector as they did the R&D while like DRDO ARDE had no hand in it.

I for all intent and purposes find the Private cos in case of Whap absolutely DogSh*t and only God knows why it's not getting any orders at all aside from few token purchases.
Aukaat nhi h inki kuch improvement karne ki, let's forget about designing and manufacturing.

Small firms which are have been with drdo from a long time and new entrants as well who are painstakingly doing R&D when their only customer is spoiled for foreign goods forces especially army, are true Atmanirbhar cos. I salute them for standing straight in such an unsupportive environment. 🫡

View attachment 236054
patria apc
View attachment 236055
Belarusian volat v2apc
View attachment 236057
View attachment 236058

View attachment 236045
when it comes to europe, proximity to human resources matters. their companies can always hire people from other countries within europe and even U.S if they are part of NATO. same with licensing of i.p.

in our case, i don't think we should even expect such design maturity for another two decades. this too is not a straight forward case, it has a lot of ifs and buts.

Aniruddha Mulay

View attachment 236044
View attachment 236046

View attachment 236050
View attachment 236051

View attachment 236054
patria apc
View attachment 236055
Belarusian volat v2apc
View attachment 236057
View attachment 236058

View attachment 236045
There is no issue with the fit and finish of the Tata WhAP, it's just that the camo is tacky.
Here's a Tata WhAP with the desert camo and Army's std camo and its fit and finish looks at par with APCs around the world.
images (35).jpeg

20240111_232842.jpg

Also, the tank destroyer variant of the Tata WhAP was recently showcased at Defence Expo 2022.

NutCracker

Country flag
Very sensible retrofit. However I would've liked to see those Kontakt-1 blocks replaced. One issue I see from it's top speed is that it's using the T-72's non uprated V-92 engine at around 780-800hp as is. New turret is heavier.
Engine upgrade is also planned. it is supposed to domestic one .

Articles