DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

mamamia12

Atleast do this Adani guy get some manufacturing expertise of NATO equivalent standards or is it just screwdrivergiri?

Master Chief

Country flag
Both Hermes 900 and Heron MK2 are proven models.. If we are able to indigenize a majority of components in the long run [Right now it looks like Screwdriver girl with Adani lying about 70 to 80 percent indigenization ].. and we are able to mass produce.. since most of our big drones are Israeli.. we will be able to sustain a war of attrition like the Russo Ukraine war where drones have short shelf lives..

mamamia12

Both Hermes 900 and Heron MK2 are proven models.. If we are able to indigenize a majority of components in the long run [Right now it looks like Screwdriver girl with Adani lying about 70 to 80 percent indigenization ].. and we are able to mass produce.. since most of our big drones are Israeli.. we will be able to sustain a war of attrition like the Russo Ukraine war where drones have short shelf lives..
I mean the worst case scenario is not having neither indigenous drones nor imported ones. But atleast, if all hell broke lose we have a plant shitting out things. I mean we have to start somewhere, who knows in the past we imported fighter jets even after making a successful Marut, but now banking on Indigenous one. But atleast they should not fuck up on Ghatak, since no one sells such Stealth drone. Is the ghatak under PMO?

raju1982

Country flag
As Tapas series has failed and Uncle Sam is doing nautanki with MQ9, do we have any other choice for immediate reqs?

Country flag
Looks like MODI Government has had enough of ADE.. Interview of ADA Ghatak Director before it was transferred to ADE to save ADE face/jobs..
I think the Director was allowed to finally vent his heart out by GOI

I think this is a good idea. This is what I meant by if something is not working or getting stuck, try some other thing. It is no guarantee that ADE may pull this off. So, hopefully PMO has a backup plan of tech transfer/collab with private industry.

Country flag
Mass induction is solution for many such capability related issues
Heck forget DRDO
Once the product enters into product then the production partner itself start the process of upgradation with help of development org obviously
That's the only way u can achieve numbers and indigenous capabilities
Licence manufacturing is not the answer for such problems
If I compare Hermes 900 then it's not significant compared to tapas it could have been adjusted by the forces and things will definitely get better in future wrt platform as development never stops in such cases
Infact we don't have any source of performance of Hermes 900 in Indian environment
It's pure case of sabotage and also failure or drdo for not being agressive with it
The biggest problems of Tapas as far as I know are weight and endurance. Both are significant design issues to have after decades of development. Both issues point to inability to leverage other partners like ADA or private companies to sort out the issues early. DRDO drone labs don’t seem to coordinate well with an ecosystem of research partners at the design stage itself - no point bringing them in much later on. They try to become heroes by doing it all themselves and in the process come out with dead end projects like Kaveri, Tapas etc where the initial design itself maybe flawed. The other crazy thing DRDO does is to go for complicated platforms on the first attempt itself. They should have first built reliable high endurance drones first with much lower payloads and overall weight and operational ceiling , rather than stuff Tapas with all sorts of advanced features, contributing to unacceptable weights and endurance.
I think government labs need to stay away from platforms like drones. They simply do not have the electronics ecosystem and organizational structure for this. What DRDO should do is work on sub components that are world class like materials, stealth coating, radars etc; and leave it to private people to actually design and incorporate these materials/parts. Plus you need world class mobile drone operating rooms. I did not see any design for those. A private company would think of the entire solution - drones, payload, operating stations, networked warfare systems, training manuals, post sales service etc. And products like Drones need to be developed in a very agile fashion as new technologies keep getting developed. DRDO cannot keep pace with such incremental advances quickly and efficiently.
Unless the technology is very strategic and so cutting edge that private players cannot be brought in (this is rare), the first choice should always be public-private partnership from the design stage itself.

Country flag
What in the haberdashery ?
Good collaboration between public and private. This is the way it should be but private companies need to be brought in at the design stage also, and not just ToT for manufacturing later on.

Blademaster

As long as we don’t pay an arm and leg out to foreign firms.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

jai jaganath

Country flag
The biggest problems of Tapas as far as I know are weight and endurance. Both are significant design issues to have after decades of development. Both issues point to inability to leverage other partners like ADA or private companies to sort out the issues early. DRDO drone labs don’t seem to coordinate well with an ecosystem of research partners at the design stage itself - no point bringing them in much later on. They try to become heroes by doing it all themselves and in the process come out with dead end projects like Kaveri, Tapas etc where the initial design itself maybe flawed. The other crazy thing DRDO does is to go for complicated platforms on the first attempt itself. They should have first built reliable high endurance drones first with much lower payloads and overall weight and operational ceiling , rather than stuff Tapas with all sorts of advanced features, contributing to unacceptable weights and endurance.
I think government labs need to stay away from platforms like drones. They simply do not have the electronics ecosystem and organizational structure for this. What DRDO should do is work on sub components that are world class like materials, stealth coating, radars etc; and leave it to private people to actually design and incorporate these materials/parts. Plus you need world class mobile drone operating rooms. I did not see any design for those. A private company would think of the entire solution - drones, payload, operating stations, networked warfare systems, training manuals, post sales service etc. And products like Drones need to be developed in a very agile fashion as new technologies keep getting developed. DRDO cannot keep pace with such incremental advances quickly and efficiently.
Unless the technology is very strategic and so cutting edge that private players cannot be brought in (this is rare), the first choice should always be public-private partnership from the design stage itself.
Drdo went for such design due to the requirement of armed forces
Why wouldn't they had gone to already proven design
Why such new concept
They don't have any "shauk" to do so
It's obvious that design is based on requirements stated by aed forces
I have already agreed drdo has done blunders wrt platform due to many reasons but my one question has Hermes 900 showed the required capabilities in Indian conditions if yes why haven't they released the data atleast approx like in case of tapas

raju1982

Country flag
As if Hermes 900 satisfies all the requirements where Tapas fell short, and by no means Tapas is a failure
lol Nishant was forced upon the Forces and all of them crashed. Tapas is going same way. India cannot face the Drone Superpower with such things. Hermes 900 is not excellent product, but we need something on the border. Thats why i asked do we bave better choice? If we have GoI must consider that.

thebakofbakchod

Trishul-Prasun says India is procuring US Stryker for mission specific IBGs-command & control requirement. It not going to replace WHAP/Kestral, 400 units needed. But it has challenges, Stryker needs powerful engine to deployed in our northern-region.
Indian military or MOD seems to be hell bent on torpedoing every single local project. Actual treasonous stuff.

Articles