DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Fatalis

Country flag
French aviation major Dassault Aviation is looking at buying out the stake of Anil Ambani’s Reliance Defence in their joint venture Dassault Reliance Aerospace Limited (DRAL), which operates a plant in Nagpur, ThePrint has learnt.

According to industry sources aware of the matter, the French firm has already initiated talks with Reliance Defence over buying the stake, since further expansion of the plant is on hold owing to the inability to infuse more money into the project.

While the French firm owns a 49 percent stake in the joint venture, 51 percent is held by Reliance Defence.

Dassault and Reliance announced their joint venture and the creation of DRAL on 3 October 2016, barely two weeks after India signed a 7.878 billion-euro deal for 36 Rafale jets in a flyaway condition.

The joint venture had initially planned to recruit and train 650 employees by 2022, with the eventual aim being the rollout of a complete Falcon business jet from Nagpur. However, the plans are in disarray because of reported financial trouble Anil Ambani is facing.

Sources said, since India allows 100 percent foreign direct investment (FDI) on a case-to-case basis, Dassault Aviation is hoping that clearances would come in. It is learnt that, while Dassault Aviation was initially scouting for another possible Indian partner, it has decided to go alone.

The DRAL facility in the MIHAN Special Economic Zone in Nagpur was building components for the Rafale fighters, like engine doors, canopy, etc., but the activity has slowed down, according to sources.

The facility was originally meant for making components for Falcon jets and not for the Rafale jets. But in June 2019, ThePrint reported that Dassault Aviation is likely to start manufacturing components of the Rafale fighter jets at its India facility, with the wares destined for global customers.

The facility came up as part of the offset obligations in the 2016 Rafale deal under which 50 percent of the value of the contract had to be ploughed back into India.

According to sources, Dassault Aviation will also like to set up a manufacturing facility for Rafale in India if it bags the contract to build 114 fighters for the Indian Air Force.

While IAF operates 36 Rafale, it is also looking at issuing a tender for 114 new fighters due to depleting strength.

The 36 were bought for an emergency, to arrest the steep decline in numbers for the Indian Air Force (IAF), which has a sanctioned strength of 42 Squadrons but currently has only 31, including those of the ageing MiG 21s and Jaguar besides the MiG 29 — all of which will be decommissioned by 2029-30.

The government has decided to go in for the purchase of 26 naval versions called the Rafale M. While it has larger ‘Make in India’ components than the IAF one — all of which will be manufactured at the Nagpur facility — the numbers are too small for any larger indigenous development programme.

SKC

Country flag
More like shaam ko Madam ki shopping and bachhon ko movie

Definitely procurement won't be an issue but maintanence and logistics would be; instead of one type of engines and it's training you'll now have to do that for two
These are not the Jet engines where you would face big issues in maintenance and parts procurement.

Both Tata and Mahindra are having one of the most serviceable diesel engines. These two are producing cars and engines since ages in India, I don't think there's going to be any issue with logistics here.

SKC

Country flag
Suzuki jimny se replace karna tha tbh , I like the looks it better.kek
Highly underpowered and claustrophobic inside. Not able to do the changes requested by Army for Scorpio and Safari.
Although Army is still interested in new Jimny, but I don't have much hope with Jimny in current avatar.

Chinmoy

Country flag
What are the specific duties that 4x4 Safaris can perform but not 4x4 Scorpios?
Just replace Safari with yesterday's Sumo and Scorpio with Gypsy.

Sumo Jammer.jpg

Safari Jammer.jpg

Now you could go on and say that Scorpio could also be used in the specific role. But the inherent specification of both vehicles support Safari to be adopted for some SD role. Although both are equally good for for GD role.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
@Chinmoy bhaiya what happened to ruav 200 project is it still alive? There were no updates about it in aero India too they didn't shelve the project right I really liked this project it had potential and L&T was supposed to work on one too

Chinmoy

Country flag
@Chinmoy bhaiya what happened to ruav 200 project is it still alive? There were no updates about it in aero India too they didn't shelve the project right I really liked this project it had potential and L&T was supposed to work on one too
It is still alive. But in what form we would see it, that I can't say.

As far as regular updates are concerned, if you are following the trait now a days, we have stopped giving official updates on every single step.

AnantS

Country flag
Highly underpowered and claustrophobic inside. Not able to do the changes requested by Army for Scorpio and Safari.
Although Army is still interested in new Jimny, but I don't have much hope with Jimny in current avatar.
Jimny though very capable is no gypsy in terms of space. And that can be blessing(in mountains) as well as negative too (cant carry bigger size loads). Jimny like vehicles IIRC are very popular in some east asian armies.
I always wondered how hard would it have been to place a higher torque engine with its gearbox in gypsy/Jimny - just for army.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
It is still alive. But in what form we would see it, that I can't say.

As far as regular updates are concerned, if you are following the trait now a days, we have stopped giving official updates on every single step.
I don't mind not recieving updates on every single update it is quite a good move tbh I just wanted to know its not shelved since there was nothing about it on aero India and in the end hopefully they come out with navy version so navy wont go for that switzerland drone

binayak95

Country flag
I don't mind not recieving updates on every single update it is quite a good move tbh I just wanted to know its not shelved since there was nothing about it on aero India and in the end hopefully they come out with navy version so navy wont go for that switzerland drone
RUAV is mostly on ice right now.

another_armchair

Country flag
DAC literally cleared acquisition of 3 more Scorpene class of subs a few days ago.
Even Naval Group has formally acknowledged it.

Why is media going to town with this version?

Some communication goof up eh?

Cheran

Country flag

Why is media going to town with this version?

Some communication goof up eh?
1689580563632.png

Lonewarrior

Country flag
> There is no Field Artillery Tractor in 4x4 configuration

> Ashok Leyland used to produce Field Artillery Tractor 6x6 up to a certain point in time
> Then they modernized the same vehicle and named it Gun Towing Vehicle 6x6

Apart from that 6x6 and 4x4 screw up it makes absolutely no sense why someone might procure both the modern and old versions of the same system.
It seems some news portal goofed up and everyone else simply copied them.

Articles