DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

blackleaf

Country flag
If we were a country serious about defense, we would also have done something similar. Just increase military aquisition budget by 15-20 billion for 7-8 years to speed up modernization.
Where is Poland getting that kind of money? Even the UK or France which are much larger and richer European countries don't have that many tanks or artillery.

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Where is Poland getting that kind of money? Even the UK or France which are much larger and richer European countries don't have that many tanks or artillery.
Poland increased defense spending to 5% of GDP, from 2.5% of GDP. That is increase of around 19 billion dollars a year, most of which will go to additional equipment purchase.

Fatalis

Country flag
Finally some update on XRSAM.

I was always confused with these many nomenclatures. Here are few things which I am observing:

1. LRSAM/MRSAM missile with the range of 70km is now known as MRSAM only. No two different names for single missile.

2. There were suppose to be two new missiles e.g. ERSAM (150km) and XRSAM (350km) under the ERADS program but now it seems the ERADS will be known only as Program LRSAM and will most probably have a single missile.

3. Previously, there was supposed to be a new missile under Program LRSAM which could have been based on AD-1 but I think that idea has dropped for now.

jai jaganath

Country flag

I was always confused with these many nomenclatures. Here are few things which I am observing:

1. LRSAM/MRSAM missile with the range of 70km is now known as MRSAM only. No two different names for single missile.

2. There were suppose to be two new missiles e.g. ERSAM (150km) and XRSAM (350km) under the ERADS program but now it seems the ERADS will be known only as Program LRSAM and will most probably have a single missile.

3. Previously, there was supposed to be a new missile under Program LRSAM which could have been based on AD-1 but I think that idea has dropped for now.
So basically ERADS will have 350 km range sam whose name has been changed into lrsam from xrsam

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Program LRSAM and ERADS will be separate system but share some components.
DRDO is going the MBDA way or perhaps the most clever way of making SAM

Instead of making multiple distinct SAMs for different targets (like the 5V55U, 48N6P, 9M96, 9M38M1, 9M317, 9K37M3 clusterfuck Russian have) they simply took a matured design from the Israelis and started adding different lengths of boosters to it. So now they can fine tune the missile to whatever SMMLTLRSAM [Slightly More than Medium but Less than Long Range Surface to Air Missile] you want.

MBDA also simply adds different booster in Aster missile to get Aster 15 or Aster 30 instead of making something like PAC and PAC-3 MSE
IMG_20230314_235103.png

blackleaf

Country flag

Does the LRSAM on navy ships have a range of 100km?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Does the LRSAM on navy ships have a range of 100km?
If I'm not wrong then there's no 100km ranged missile; only 35km, 70km and 150km ones.
It's going to bit confusing...

1. Barak 8, Barak MRAD and MRSAM are the same missile; 35km range.

2. Barak 8ER, Barak LRAD and LRSAM are the same missile with a range of 70km. Also a fun fact; it's almost impossible to visually distinguish from these and the previous ones as the change is in rocket motor.

3. Barak ER and ERSAM are the same missile; 150km ranged. Very easy to differentiate from other two because of the presence of a large booster motor.

Now to answer your question, Naval VLS can only accomodate 1 and 2 because 3 has a larger diameter than existing tubes. So without any big modification the maximum Navy can reach with Baraks is 70km.

Articles