DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Launcher, fire control system, warhead, spare....
1. The order is from Navy so they're not going to order a launcher for every third BrahMos like Army; they have fixed VLS. Moreover even if they need more VLS then that order will be placed to L&T for their UVLS not to BrahMos Aerospace.

2. Same goes for fire control system, Navy already have those on each and every ship; and even if they'll need for future ship then that order will go to BEL...moreover BrahMos uses INS-RF so God knows what exactly are to going to do with this so called FCS.

3. Really!? Warhead!?
Do you buy brass and then pay extra for bullet or you buy an all up round?

4. Spares? For a weapon, a disposable asset you need spares? Missile come in all-up-round. A hermetically sealed canister in which the missile remains for all of its service life.

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
Glad you mentioned the name Russia; I tried my best to compare BrahMos with one of best AShM out there but I think there would have been a much better way to do that; comparing BrahMos with BrahMos.

The cost of a P-800 Onyx is 1.5 million USD
The cost of a BrahMos is 12.5 million USD
You dont know This was the best secrets kept till now..Our brahomos divides into 8 missiles after the launch..

jai jaganath

Country flag
The numbers aren't confirmed, and ANI is not a reliable source of information
If not them then who bro
And even nos going beyond 200 doesn't seem to happen as how much ships do we have how much coastal batteries we have
Most probably these order are of replacing older bhramos with er versions
200 seems practical nos as that's the more or less amount of bhramos we have
I might be wrong

flanker99

Country flag

Even if we consider that it's a propaganda piece from Ukraine then common sense says that they'll try to inflate the price to say see Russia is wasting 5 million USD missile just to destroy a building in downtown.
Not talking about onyx but brahmos cost of each missile is about 5-6mln

flanker99

Country flag
1. The order is from Navy so they're not going to order a launcher for every third BrahMos like Army; they have fixed VLS. Moreover even if they need more VLS then that order will be placed to L&T for their UVLS not to BrahMos Aerospace.

2. Same goes for fire control system, Navy already have those on each and every ship; and even if they'll need for future ship then that order will go to BEL...moreover BrahMos uses INS-RF so God knows what exactly are to going to do with this so called FCS.

3. Really!? Warhead!?

4. Spares? For a weapon, a disposable asset you need spares? Missile come in all-up-round. A hermetically sealed canister in which the missile remains for all of its service life.
Ani report mentions coastal defense systems so that could somewhat explain the extra cost but still seems much

Chinmoy

Country flag
It seems like you just wanted to counter Lonewarrior and for that you countered his arguments; anyways

You're mixing "evolution" with my terminology of "vague definition".

Lemme make it clear with an example.
Let's say army gave a fixed GSQR of tank and DRDO started working on it. After 3 years a new technology, let's say guided APFSDS rounds are invented in Belgium and now Army wants DRDO to add that too in it...this is what's called evolution; something you're trying to imply.
If I've to quote what you actually said.
Military could have easily asked for a design that was ahead of peer. Military could have given fixed requirements instead of vague. But do they?
Fixed requirement and evolution are basically antonyms. Evolution happens on an existing platform, not on an under-develop on. In that case, it is termed as "specification change", and we all have problem with it. Even our developers have.

Now come to Indian Army's rifle acquisition program and just try to imagine the level of shitshow of RFP they did. We want a 5.56x45mm rifle...no no wait, a 6.8mm...why not a single rifle for both...what about 7.62x51mm...to much recoil, heck it...let's go back to 5.56x45mm...why not 7.62x39mm for rear echelon...tada, see 7.62x51mm from SIG Sauer" And in case you're about to say that it's also evolution, then let me tell you it's not. Since adopting 5.45x39mm Russians are trying to bridge the gap between it and 7.62x54mmR and now it they adopt 6mm Unified then it would be evolution.
I quoted Arjun and OFB as a case study. But it seems you had taken it literally. I already mentioned that when you have to compare HAL with OFB on tech absorption part, HAL has done well.
But anyway, Army was using 762x51 Haathimaar. But when we faced AK in Operation Pawan, IA realized that they want a light weight solution. So they basically learnt and looked around. In 556 NATO, they found a system which could give them range compared to 762 AK and stopping power too. 6.8 creedmoor was no where in scene. So was it fault of IA or manufacturer in providing them with INSAS. On other hand, IWI created Galil under same concept with multiple option.

I used the metaphors of child because you can control each and everything of your child, enhance his or her performance by tempting with treats and if necessary you can beat the shit out of him or her...in short, the kind of old-school parent child relation I had when I was growing up.

But unfortunately you understood it as the example where parents pamper their children so much that they become spoilt brats. Don't know how you got influenced by these modern, liberal, woke parenting.

Because...continuing on my previous examples of father children metaphor...that's the only way you won't get a good spanking.
It's what Soviets used to do; big names like Kalashnikov and Simonov and Degtyaryov all competing with each other for a same requirement; despite each one employed by government run companies.
With this part, you just agreed to what I said. Old school or new school, whose job is it to discipline the child? Obviously parent. Its MoD/ GOI in our case. So you can't blame IA, IAF or IN for $hit show of our DPSUs. Its the government at the end who have to bear majority of the blame. They have not taken corrective steps at time for corrective course.

Chinmoy

Country flag

3. Really!? Warhead!?

Just one response to it...

🔔

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Not talking about onyx but brahmos cost of each missile is about 5-6mln
2.5 billion for almost 200; that brings it to 12.5 million a piece.
But then we decided to bring it down to 5-6 million so that we compare with the lowest bar

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Thats assuming only missiles will be ordered and not other equipment
That assumption was made on the basis that as Navy is ordering it would primarily consist of reloads for VLS.

But even if we consider that these are systems rather than individual missiles then also we can compare the prices with that of Bastion-P. Vietnam and Syria both have acquired this coastal defence battery...but the only problem is as of now I've no source for these deals. But still I would put the price in ballpark of 7-8 million.

Articles