DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Defcon 1

Country flag
It's not just about HAL, it's about government, it's about military...it's about majority of Indians.

Military could have easily asked for a design that was ahead of peer. Military could have given fixed requirements instead of vague. But do they?
Government could have treated PSUs as it's children to nurture them like every other country does instead of preferring foreign suppliers and literally abandoning them. But do they?
PSUs could have easily made 4-5 teams to compete with each other with alternate designs for a same project and in the end made something world-class. But do they?
Funniest post ever.

When military gives difficult to achieve requirements same posters bash military for giving unrealistic requirements and not inducting half baked weapons. Hundreds of pages of Arjun, Tejas and Nag threads are full of it.

Now you are blaming military for not asking advanced designs.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Funniest post ever.

When military gives difficult to achieve requirements same posters bash military for giving unrealistic requirements and not inducting half baked weapons. Hundreds of pages of Arjun, Tejas and Nag threads are full of it.

Are "difficult to achieve" and "advanced" always same?

Is rejecting Arjun saying it's overweight and not asking even for once to try to mount ATAGS on WhAP the same?

BTW there was this line about unrealistic and always changing requirements to
Military could have given fixed requirements instead of vague.

Anandhu Krishna

No, it seems you don't come here often like me but still with all due respect
The plate carrier, the camouflage, the communication equipment everything is indian on the fine chap.
I have never seen that plate carrier or helmet before. Do you have a photograph of the equipment from somewhere else!?

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Never knew its impossible to attach a velcro name patch.
Tell me you have absolutely no idea about Indian defence start-ups without telling me. Do you know why I mentioned the name Vinayak!?

Vinayak Sen is the guy because of whom the name "Armasen Tactical" has a sen in it. And Armasen Tactical is the Indian company that has provided most of those gears.

Moreover that not impossible to attach Velcro name patch says Akash, not Vinayak...kya Gunda banega re tu!?

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
Funniest post ever.

it is not about not giving challenging requirements. many times the military does not give a clear and precise description of what they want, whether challenging or not. they change the requirement a lot even with the vague description and also change goalposts constantly ONCE THE ORIGINAL REQUIREMENT IS FULFILLED.

finally, they do not engage in combined development with the research and development agencies and are not proactive in clearing out kinks and other requirements while development is taking place - this is unlike in the US where the military gives almost guaranteed orders even before the first LSP model is rolled out and sticks even with serious deficiencies with the advertised product. they hardly ever reduce the order nos and only ever do so if the product is such a train wreck that it would screw up their force structure and budget like in the case of zumwalt and LCS.

rao.abhirav

Country flag
Now that's something completely different. I was just mentioning how this combination of high tech and low tech works.

In case of Russian tanks then it has nothing to do with old model. Perhaps on the contrary the oldest model of tank they have; the T-62s are perhaps the most advanced tank currently in Russian arsenal. The single problem with Russian tanks is the position of autoloader. Period.
Be it T-64 or T-72 or T-80 or T-90 or even the most advanced T-14...all are doomed to get bonked by even cheap AT weapons like NLAW just because of the design flaw of having an autoloader below the turret.

If you have problem with my example of Russian doctrine then I can quote Polish doctrine. Small number of advanced F-35s complemented by greater number of cheaper FA-50s.
Hmm that's a fair point

Now that I think about it do we even need newer tanks ? We can't use them on LAC due to unfavorable terrain and current tank fleet is mediocre-ish - good enough to repel any advances from LOC won't it be rather economically viable to develop AT systems instead since our doctrine "Cold Start" is inherently relient on "Holding corps" like instead of old-new combo just develop and mass produce NAG and get TOW ATGM to sort of layer it

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Now that I think about it do we even need newer tanks ?
Now this question is very tricky to answer, coz you can have two conflicting opinions.

First, we'll almost always be a "defending force" and the most powerful weapon a defending force has is the strength ratio of 1:3. Moreover be it Nagorno Karabakh or Ukraine we have seen how tanks fair against asymmetric threats like drones and ATGMs. And to further complicate things out of some 5150 or so tanks we have, 5000 are susceptible to suffer catastrophic failure if they are engaged. So from this logic it's very futile being a defensive force to maintain a large tank fleet until and unless we have some very cutting edge survival solution.

Second, as of now we have no other platform except a tank that can be so mobile, work even after taking a serious beating, fire a large calibre gun with such an accuracy, defeat most of the current Active Protection Systems by using APFSDS, fire missiles like tank destroyers, act as a cover for dismounted infantry, can form a defence in captured territory......so what'll we do if there's no tank?

So I've given you both the argument, now you decide

Last edited:

iNorthernerOn9

Country flag
IN is going to place orders for more than 200 Brahmos cruise missiles.

(Don't know why these media outlets always mention price in dollars when indigenous content in Brahmos as of now is 70%... they did the same with 307 ATAGS news where indigenous content is 95%... so major portion would be paid in INR)

Last edited:

Articles