DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
One more question to everyone who is involved in this tank war here what's so special about 120mm turret seem people on reddit simp for it

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
No. There was a separate poster showing DoP of Arjun round as 600mm. Arjun APFSDS is different because its one-piece, unlike the two-piece T-90 DRDO Mk2. The confusion arises because they are both named DRDO FSAPDS Mk2.
But that is the only poster ever to have stated Arjun APFSDS as 600mm capable.
No. There was a separate poster showing DoP of Arjun round as 600mm. Arjun APFSDS is different because its one-piece, unlike the two-piece T-90 DRDO Mk2. The confusion arises because they are both named DRDO FSAPDS Mk2.
But that is the only poster ever to have stated Arjun APFSDS as 600mm capable.

EDIT: FFS! SOMEONE HAD PHOTOSHOPPED THAT POSTER:-

The edited poster (you can see the "6" in 600 is photoshopped in bottom left poster):-

Original poster (its 300mm not 600 mm):-

View attachment 179689

@Aniruddha Mulay you got another source for that 600mm figure? Because I only remember seeing that figure on this one poster.

So in reality, APFSDS of Arjun can only do 300mm. Pathetic, really. But given that the l:d ratio of the penetrator is 17:1 compared to 20:1 of the DRDO Mk2 round of T-90/T-72, it makes sense.
The round in the poster that you are referring to is the 120mm APFSDS Mk1 round which has long been retired.
IA uses the 120mm APFSDS Mk2 round, sadly there is no a poster picture as such, this 600mm RHA figure has been quoted by BRF, Trishul trident, etc.
The below picture is of the 120mm APFSDS Mk2 round:
View attachment 179696
Trishul Trident is that Sengupta blog na? That is less reliable than IDRW news beat.

And trace back your BRF source, its got to be that same photoshopped poster that was the source of misinformation on BRF as well. Its important we cut through the clutter here.

If there is no official poster or official statement of the same, then it can't be believed that Arjun APFSDS can do 600mm.
It's that same old round with a DoP of ~480mm at a 0-degree impact angle. Meanwhile, the Chinese now have rounds than can pen circa 320mm RHA equivalent at 68 degrees (from the vertical plane) out to a distance of 2 km.

View attachment 179709
I could say for sure the DoP figure of FSAPDS mk-2 lies between 500mm-575mm. I can't post the pictures due to some reason.
1667244670209.png

Here’s the poster of the 120mm FSAPDS MK2.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

K4 missile has 6000kms range with 4 MIRVs and 2tons payload.... 😳😳😳

Now that's some serious payload and range. DRDO comes up with surprises every now and then....😍😍😍
Impossible. This is K5 or K6 IMHO, not K4. K4 goes in Arihant while K5 and K6 will go in S-5 class SSBN. This image has been shared on DFI before. @porky_kicker or @NeXoft007 can confirm.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
With reduced warhead weight, the volume based on length and dia may be able to support increased range? But that is nearly double the stated range of k4
I remember that the jump from 3500km range of K4 to the 6000 km range of K6 was supposed to be accomplished by increasing height of missile to 13 meters from 10 meters of K4. This is why K5/6 can only fit in a larger SSBN and hence S-5 class was conceived. But even that 3 meter increase in height isn't enough to reach those range and throw weight figures so in addition that jump requires, among other technological upgrades, retractable aerospike and nozzles and all-composite casing.
Warhead miniaturization is just not happening right now because our nuclear test program is at a standstill due to us signing PTBT and international pressure against any further underground testing. Unless we are conducting sub-critical testing to refine our models, but I don't think our politicians have the balls for that.

omaebakabaka

I remember that the jump from 3500km range of K4 to the 6000 km range of K6 was supposed to be accomplished by increasing height of missile to 13 meters from 10 meters of K4. This is why K5/6 can only fit in a larger SSBN and hence S-5 class was conceived. But even that 3 meter increase in height isn't enough to reach those range and throw weight figures so in addition that jump requires, among other technological upgrades, retractable aerospike and nozzles and all-composite casing.
Warhead miniaturization is just not happening right now because our nuclear test program is at a standstill due to us signing PTBT and international pressure against any further underground testing. Unless we are conducting sub-critical testing to refine our models, but I don't think our politicians have the balls for that.
I think dia increase is probably more important for greater ranges but rsm-56 is around 12 and 4 m and range of over 8k with more throw weight if I remember correctly....these things are notoriously understated for obvious reasons. I also doubt this claim but I do think it could be greater than 3.5k

Correction -- 11.5 and 2m

Last edited:

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I think dia increase is probably more important for greater ranges but rsm-56 is around 12 and 4 m and range of over 8k with more throw weight if I remember correctly....these things are notoriously understated for obvious reasons. I also doubt this claim but I do think it could be greater than 3.5k
I think K-4 is already 1.8-2 meter dia. Can't really get fatter than that for SLBM, I think. But yeah, there is a lot of misinformation surrounding this stuff.

omaebakabaka

I think K-4 is already 1.8-2 meter dia. Can't really get fatter than that for SLBM, I think. But yeah, there is a lot of misinformation surrounding this stuff.
Isn't dia around 1.3m? Volume will greatly increase if its 2 m and most long ranged ones are a bit around 2m....this kinda gives a rough 1/3rd range approximately based on open sources

Aniruddha Mulay

[
Impossible. This is K5 or K6 IMHO, not K4. K4 goes in Arihant while K5 and K6 will go in S-5 class SSBN. This image has been shared on DFI before. @porky_kicker or @NeXoft007 can confirm.
DRDO has long held habit of downplaying range of its missiles, so that 6000km number might aswell be true.
The public specifications of the K-4 SLBM do seem to match that of the Polaris A-3 SLBM which was in service with the US Navy and Royal Navy from 1964 to 1980.
The Polaris A-3 had a range of 4600km, so given the advancements in rocket design, rocket motor efficiency, construction materials 50 years after the Polaris was test fired it would not be outlandish if the K-4 SLBM actually had a range of 5000-6000km if not more.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
See, there is stuff that is good in Arjun. Its not all doom and gloom. But the point here is that it could have been much better. The biggest problem I see is DGMF not taking ownership of either Arjun or a new tank program to succeed Arjun. All I see are useless RFIs like the FRCV.
That Pakis don't have better tanks yet is our saving grace. I shudder to think what would have happened had their Abrams acquisition not fallen apart. Imagine Pakis fielding Abrams (would be a b!ch to refuel though lol).

All this discussion over Arjun vs T-90 has been done a million times on DFI but one thing we all agree over is that DGMF doesn't seem to be taking the next tank program seriously either.
Yeah this is basically the only conclusion we can come to.

we can argue about the merits of round storage locations, armour placement etc all day but it’s not our job to design these things or fight with them.

the IA’s entirely hands off we will buy whatever Russia decides to sell us approach is the issue.

Arjun isn’t perfect but it has a LOT going for it and is the more contemporary system overall and by a significant margin.

If the IA had actually bothered to modernise their t90 fleet with some of the features you can find on the Arjun MK.1A it might not even be such an issue but the fact that their T90 fleet is largely as spec’d 20+ years ago says it all.

Just like the IAF they are standing still as their adversaries rapidly progress. What stopped them from continuing with FMBT? From what I hear they told DRDO to ditch the Arjun Mk.2 and hence the MK1A emerged-just a modernised version of the MK.1 but short of many of the improvements the Mk.2 was to offer.

why is it as we speak there’s no active NG-MBT project being run from the IA? There isn’t even a major upgrade plan for their legacy fleet.

India will get a rude wake up if ever it has to fight for real. Sadly the PLA do not mess around.

Articles