DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Kuldeepm952

Country flag
Ok, lets stop here gentlemen. How about you both forget that argument and tell me your take on this new Armata concept of unprotected turret and a separate armoured crew compartment. Should we go down that route in the FMBT/NGMBT/FRCV/<whatever replaces the T-72
Nah man, let's take a break here, the other guy needs to chill, otherwise it's the same cycle again.

omaebakabaka

Just like anything done by established MIC's, tank designs are extension of their respective war fighting strategies so its natural to find chinks if you apply them outside their main strategies for which they are designed. What would and would not make sense for Arjun as per that? Individually it will be a list of pros and cons that would not make sense especially in modern battle conditions like Ukraine

Fulcrum 007

Country flag
Yeah and unless they add blowout panels in the hull stowage as well, it will all become nullified.
From what we know, the hull stores are kept behind the fuel tanks which should provide somewhat of protection and the hull ammo stowage vault on the other hand is full of diesel to douse HEAT jet. Now if only they can manage to put a blow off panel below it or maybe we have already? Not sure.

Blood+

Country flag
From what we know, the hull stores are kept behind the fuel tanks which should provide somewhat of protection and the hull ammo stowage vault on the other hand is full of diesel to douse HEAT jet. Now if only they can manage to put a blow off panel below it or maybe we have already? Not sure.
That's correct but the fuel tank would provide no protection against KE rounds though.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
You can either have blow off panel or you can have armour. You put it below and it compromises mine resistance. I don't think its possible to put blow off panels on hull stowage.

Blood+

Country flag
You can either have blow off panel or you can have armour. You put it below and it compromises mine resistance. I don't think its possible to put blow off panels on hull storage.
True. Ammo in the hull should be a big no-go. And that's one gripe I have with Armata. I still can't figure out why the Russians didn't go for a K2 Black Panther-style autoloader.

Blood+

Country flag
@Aniruddha Mulay , @omaebakabaka , Guys, what @Okabe Rintarou said actually makes a lot of sense. I mean think about it, even the Leopard 2A7s do not have blow-out panels installed in their hull ammo racks. Heck, there's not a single tank model in active service (that I can think of anyway) with a similar ammo stowage setup that has this feature. Why do you think that is?? I mean if we can come up with such an idea, surely those guys could as well, no??

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
@Aniruddha Mulay , @omaebakabaka , Guys, what @Okabe Rintarou said actually makes a lot of sense. I mean think about it, even the Leopard 2A7s do not have blow-out panels installed in their hull ammo racks. Heck, there's not a single tank model in active service (that I can think of anyway) with a similar ammo stowage setup that has this feature. Why do you think that is?? I mean if we can come up with such an idea, surely those guys could as well, no??
The M1 Abrams has a hull ammo stowage with blow-out panels that holds 6-10 rounds

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Turns out we are wrong. Abrams does have hull blow off panels. One is on the top as shown:-

M1A2 Abrams hull blow off panel.png

The video also says Abrams has two more panels in the belly. I'd imagine it compromises mine resistance, yet they decided to go forward with it anyway.

Sauce:-

Now do we know if Arjun has this feature for hull stowage? @Corvus Splendens I still don't think either Arjun or Leopard can have an hull roof blow off panel because unlike Abrams, their hull stowage is towards the front. You can't get away without that part not being armoured.

But damn. This yet again made me marvel over how well designed Abrams is.

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Turns out we are wrong. Abrams does have hull blow off panels. One is on the top as shown:-

View attachment 179728

The video also says Abrams has two more panels in the belly. I'd imagine it compromises mine resistance, yet they decided to go forward with it anyway.

Sauce:-

Now do we know if Arjun has this feature for hull stowage? @Corvus Splendens I still don't think either Arjun or Leopard can have an hull roof blow off panel because unlike Abrams, their hull stowage is towards the front. You can't get away without that part not being armoured.

But damn. This yet again made me marvel over how well designed Abrams is.
Here's a clearer picture of the Containerised Ammunition bins on the MBT Arjun.
Whether this is behind an armoured container shell or not is unknown.
20221031_174736.jpg

omaebakabaka

I think its a tradeoff that designers make to prioritize one aspect over other, it may be that incidence of these protecting crew when ammo is directly hit is not that great and these may be more helpful when you are dealing in more of urban/invading role where atgm's can come from many directions....with top attack regime not sure if these are that helpful either

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
I think its a tradeoff that designers make to prioritize one aspect over other, it may be that incidence of these protecting crew when ammo is directly hit is not that great and these may be more helpful when you are dealing in more of urban/invading role where atgm's can come from many directions....with top attack regime not sure if these are that helpful either
I mean they do work rather well in Abrams:-

omaebakabaka

I mean they do work rather well in Abrams:-

I would assume that it works but it may not be that many instances where ammo is directly hit and crew does not have time to escape but it would create a weak zone vs full armor especially if top attack one hits? Statistical trade off possibly....I read blow off panels did save saudis in yemen when abrams were blown up

Articles